Need Help With Twitter

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by William King, Dec 31, 2010.

1. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey I am working with the SEO team of one of the major wholesale portals as far as Link Building is concerned I have my hands set on them but my manager gives me the task of SMM I am using facebook as a very good tool to generate traffic and for the advertising stuff but I have created mess with the twitter account
    I am following about 2000 people and don't know single of them I post the update of my sites but no one click on them and why somebody would click I have no interaction with my network now I want to fix this situation and want to use twitter effectively... Need some advices

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

William, what you could do is un-follow some of those people, particularly ones that don't follow you back. This will allow you to start following other Twitter users, who are more interested in your products and services.

Then use Twitter Search to find people who are tweeting about stuff relevant to your business. Follow them and engage them in conversation. They are much more likely to follow you back and they will click more of your links, because your tweets will be relevant to them.

Does that sound like an approach that could work for you?

3. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergel,

As a first step I have started unfollowing people but I have one question in my mind that to start a network their should be some one relevant to me with whom I can make a strong connection by taking part in his discussions and than get to know people in his network... Is this will be the right approach and the second thing in which I need advice that I am working for a wholesale portal same like alibaba so what type of knowledge I need to know to engage my self with people who are working in this field

Thank you

4. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Un-follow the ones that don't follow you, as Fergal said. Also I think you are following simple people who are not interested in your products. As for me, I think it's better have 100 followers but real ones. Use Twiiter search.

5. telxcomputers

telxcomputers
    uix_expand uix_collapse

follow to them who is relevant your site or product, whenever your updating anything than put the first keyword name, automatically your followers would be increase.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes that sounds like the approach you should be taking. When you follow someone who is interested in topics relevant to your business, have a look at the people he / she follows and follow the ones that are also tweeting about those relevant topics.

I suppose you could begin by using Twitter search to find people who are talking about topics related to wholesaling and wholesale suppliers. If that doesn't find you the people you need, try some related keywords until you find them.

Searching through relevant hashtags might also help you.

7. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Okay so far so good next thing I need to know... (Please don't be rude I have a very bad habit of asking questions :p) how to make your self attractive that people won't just ignore you besides they will take interest what you twitt and what you are up to... what type of discussions you can start to leave the impression that you are not just here for spamming but for sharing knowledge

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Don't worry William King, asking questions is a good habit and the more you ask the more we like it here on Business Advice Forum :)

Post content that will be useful to the people who follow you, for example links to relevant news stories and to great resources that could help them. Also make an effort to help them directly, the first step is to follow people who follow you and another good way s to retweet some of their posts that would be of interest to your other followers. Engage in conversation and reply to their tweets. All of this shows that you are interested in communicating with others and not just in promoting your own links.

9. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am trying and struggling to make twitter a useful tool for me...
    On one thing I think you will agree with me if you try to the SEM, SEO, SMM in the more organic and less spammy way you are going to get too much knowledge actually tons of knowledge like I think 3 or 4 months back I take a decision to do the SEM organically and now I think my mind is more sharper I know a lot of things and have too much general knowledge I can feel it when I am doing some of my assignment or when I have to give some interview.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Knowledge is a good thing William King, have you been able to use that knowledge to improve your sites' rankings in the search engines?

11. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Surely me and my team are able to rank our website against the main keywords on the first page
    Wholesale 9
    Suppliers 5
    Wholesale Suppliers 8
    Wholesale UK 3
    UK Suppliers 3
    UK Wholesale 1
    and we have done it by using white hat organic SEO

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

They are great SEO results William King, well done and keep up the good work.

13. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here's some thoughts on Twitter :)

First thing is to be human. Don't just use a logo, use your face. Take the time to create a pro background to your account also.

I like to do a search on search.twitter.com for relevant topics that are happening right then. Pay attention to #hashtags people are using so that you can reach more than who are currently following you. Join that conversation.

Do you run specials? If so, tweet them out. Run specific specials just for your followers.

Do some serious competitive research. How are the most successful of those businesses using social media?

14. diannasmith00

diannasmith00
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keep it up..

15. OliviaSSLGuru

OliviaSSLGuru
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Use # prefixed in your searching keyword and you will get a list of tweeters who have tweeted on that keyword. Follow them. Its not necessary that you have to engage in discussion.

16. jsingerston

jsingerston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I had good results with Twitter by retweeting what other people in my niche were tweeting. In other words, start actually reading the Tweets that these other people are sending out there. When you agree that the quality of information in that Tweet was high, then you should re-Tweet it. That person will see that you retweeted their Tweet. To them it feels like you vouched for what they said. It builds likability. If you do this enough you will build friendships.

You should only be tweeting things that are of good value. Don't just Tweet for the sake of it unless you are Tweeting for someone that you really want to develop good rapport with. You must maintain a regular presence on Twitter for a period of months to really accomplish anything substantial. It will take that long to really build worthwhile relationships. If you only Tweet the best material in your niche then people will follow you and not unfollow you.

Don't just follow people to have them follow you back. That is a waste. Build a network with social media takes a lot of time and effort. This is why I am a much bigger fan of investing time in doing SEO tasks like link building. You don't have to do the work constantly. You can do it sporadically whenever you feel like it. Maintaining relationships with social media is a friggin job.

Forgot to mention that I recommend using Tweetdeck to keep track of what is going on. You should spend at least an hour with Twitter about five days a week if you want quick results.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing those great Twitter tips with us jsingerston. Do you always follow everyone back, who follows you?

18. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is just awesome and a very informative post about twitter I think you should post it as an article so that if someone is having problem like me can get the solution

19. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Their is one problem that I am facing how to find the people which are using twitter for sharing knowledge not for just promotion

20. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can use Twitter's search function by using the keywords that you have a good knowledge about.
    The results will show the users who tweeted those keywords.