Need Help to name my business.

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by jatin, May 3, 2010.

1. jatin

jatin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Everyone,

I was trying to give a good name to my new small business, its an online business which i am looking forward to start soon. I want to know if i can name my business which is quite matching with the other business name. I am trying to name like HARD ROCK TECHNOLOGIES and their is an existing name like HARD ROCK MANAGEMENT CONSULTANTS.

Should i change the name or i can go like this? I really don't know if it is going to create any problems. Help me out, i am facing hard time to decide my business name.

I am waiting for reply.

Regards,

Jitin Kumar

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to BAF jatin and thanks for posting your questions here.
    About your online business, can you tell and share to us more about your services?
    Are you selling various products or just providing services.

Regarding the name of your business, it doesn't seem good to copy someone's business name. You might get penalized by doing it via copyright and trademark infringement.

3. jatin

jatin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your reply.

I am just starting up with the online tech services. Most of them are virtual services. I want to know how if the above example shows copying? I am not aware if that is copying or doing so.

For example - If the name of the organization that already exists is like Hard Rock Consultancy and the name i am looking for is Hard Rock Technologies. Is this copying?

4. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You will need to look at the company naming rules in your location as they are different everywhere. As long as your name is legal (i.e. contains no swear words, words banned by the region you are in) and does not infringe on someone elses name then you are fine.

H.R Consultancy compared to H.R Management Technologies would be find IMO, it would meet UK regulations.

5. jennysquare

jennysquare
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Choose the name of your entity carefully. It is very important that your name portray the image you want for your new company. Legally, the name you select must not be "deceptively similar" to any existing company or must be "distinguishable on the record" of your state.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Jitin. What country or state will your business be based in?

7. jatin

jatin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your reply

I am planning to start it here in India, this is my country. But i want to make it worldwide, because my strategy is not based on local business. It will start with international clients. I am looking forward for your help.

Thanks

8. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So as you are in India the naming rules are as follows:

You need to apply to have your company name approved. It will be done electronically. You will file it online, you will need to use the MCA21 (if I remember it correctly) agency site.

The Registrar or Companies in India is in Mumbai. You can send them a list of 5 or 6 names (check their site) and then will go through the current lists and decide if you can use it.

The process will take up to a week to complete and used to cost around IN 500-750

9. jatin

jatin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks again

Hello Sean,

I am aware of registering company within Indian laws. But my concern is about selecting name first. I want to select a name and i am confused on the selection part. I don't know if one of two words clash will create a copyright problem while selecting a name.

Like i can give another example:-

Name that i am looking for is -- Cyberbridge Technology Services.

Name that already exists with a company is -- Cyberbridge Corporation / Cyberbridge International.

So if i will go with my name, is it going to create a problem? I am Sorry for asking this stupid question, i have no knowledge of these issues.

Many Thanks

10. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Jatin,

Sorry, but I really can't see why you can't come up with an original name.

If you owned Cyberbridge Corporation, how would you like it if a new company was formed called Cyberbridge Technology Services especially say if the new company was based in your country and there was some overlap as regard to the type of services being offered? I personally would be fuming and would definitely seek legal advice.

A little while ago I came across a similar example on another forum with an Indian company naming themselves after a well known British Telecoms company only they had the word 'Consultancy' tagged onto the end of the name. I thought, my god, how can they get away with that!

Mike Dove

11. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To answer in slang you are going to have to "suck it and see".. basically if you get to send in 5 or 6 different names, send in variations of what you want and the RoC will decide if it is fit for the purpose.

My own rule of thumb I use in this situation is that if you are not 100% sure if you can get away with it, then someone else will probably look at it the same way, so no point in killing any of your time. Look for something else.

12. Alexishost

Alexishost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's true in most cases.

New name
    If yo would like new name, I would like to suggest Creative Tch consultant

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I definitely agree with you.
    But come to think of it, it's not that easy to think of a name of a company. It could take days to get the right name of your business. I myself took a couple of days before I got the my desired blog name.:p

To jatin, you can post here the services or products you are offering so we can do our best to help you in deciding the name of your business.

14. jatin

jatin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Everyone...

Now i know that tagging couple of words in the end is not good at all. I will drop the idea of this name.

To GekiDan -- You are absolutely right, i am trying to decide a good and meaningful name from last 15-20 days. This is becoming far more difficult for me.

Following Services are included :-

Software Development
    Data Management
    Project Management
    Virtual Services
    Customer Support Services
    Business Management
    Web Management Services

Major part of the services will cover technology services, above services will include all the other small service. For eg- Virtual services will include all the virtual assistant services. All services are provided from our centers in India, in future we have plans to grow internationally. This is a just a small startup but plans are bigger, so the name is going to play a major role.

If i will get some help from you all, that will be great:)

Looking forward for a helping reply...

Jatin

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here are what I could think of as of this time:

Jatin Web Services LTD
    Virtual Support Management
    Data Masters Services
    SBC: Service beyond Compare
    India Web Management

Sorry if most of these sounded not good but I do hope these could help you in finding a name for your business.

16. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you intend to grow then you want a name that can grow with you and will make sense in the international market. You cover pretty much everything so maybe a name that encompasses it all..

International Business Development or Management Services International

Just a couple of quick thoughts.

17. jatin

jatin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks GekiDan

Couple of the names are already taken. One includes my name and others are not suitable. But still, i really appreciate your help. I will keep on trying, may be i will get a good name soon. :)

18. jatin

jatin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Sean,

Your name suggestions are really effective. But after searching on google, it shows they already exist with other companies. This is the major problem i am facing, all the good names are taken already.

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Jatin, maybe you can come up with a name that is completely different. Perhaps try some of the following;

Use an anagram - perhaps of your own name, the area you are from or a word related to your business

Use a word that has nothing to do with your business - such as a colour, an adjective, an animal or bird, a number or some other noun.

E.g. put one of the following words before "Technology" or "Consulting" to create your business name - Wise, Owl, Falcon, BlackBird, Yellow, Red, Green, Strong, Flexible, Reliable, Secure, Cheetah, Tiger, Lion, Rumak, Kumar, Seven, Three, 101, etc, etc.

Maybe you can come up with a new word that has new meaning, but is brandable and memorable.

Does that help at all?

20. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Seems to be a good idea Fergal. :thumbsup:

How about:
    Virtual Camel Data Management Services
    -- whereas camel is one of the dominating animals in the Middle East.

I can't think of a better name now. I'll post again if I think of another one.