Need Help Starting a Driving Service in NYC

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by TheNaturalNy, Sep 17, 2015.

1. TheNaturalNy

TheNaturalNy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, everyone!

After seeing how kind, knowledgable and friendly everyone is on here I had to join. Looking forward to getting to know you all as well as making new friends! So, I had this idea and I'd like to know if it's possible. I'll explain it briefly then go into more detail as we talk. I'm super confident in myself and know the core of the idea is my passion - as this would be the first time I started a business.

I'd like to start a driving service in Nyc: this would involve me picking up pedestrians hailing from the streets and driving them to their desired location in my family's personally owned car - for a meter I can use an app from my phone. My concern is how to get started (legal permits) and if it's allowed in Nyc. Thank you!

P.S. I live in CT, so all I'd have to do is just register my business in NY

2. TheNaturalNy

TheNaturalNy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recently came across this and am uncertain what type of license I'd need or if this restricts me from performing my idea http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/industry/current_licensees.shtml

Also, one thing that comes to mind is buying a taxi via craigslist that is already certified and buying the medallion cheap and just using that. Thoughts?

#2 TheNaturalNy, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015