Need help on how to set up website where members rent/sell goods to each other

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by drums1213, Aug 7, 2016.

1. drums1213

drums1213
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all,

I'm new to this and am trying to figure out where to turn to start up this online business. I own a domain name for my business through godaddy and am unsure where to turn for website development. I know of ecommerce (Shopify), godaddy web dev., wordpress, etc. but I'm not sure which, if any, of these would work for the idea I have.

In simplest terms, my idea is to create a community where the members can rent and/or sell a niche product to people interested in trying out the product before deciding to buy. I would then collect a commission on these transactions. I don't plan on charging any sort of membership fee, just the commission/transactional fee.

Any advice on where to get started would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Ryan

2. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

How much money have you got? You could get the site built for a few thousand but marketing will probably cost you 10 times that.

As an aside, this sort of thing has been tried many times before and failed to survive. Everybody wants the free trial but nobody wants to buy. The costs of shipping products back and forth makes the model unsustainable.

3. drums1213

drums1213
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@fisicx I believe that discussing the feasibility of the idea precedes any discussion on investment into the business.

So for clarification purposes, I would offer flat rate shipping on the products at a cheaper rate than competitors (have been in discussions with a third-party logistics group). And please understand that there would not be a free trial of any sort. If the customer wants to rent the product, there would be a rate associated with, let's say, a 30-day rental. The merchant renting the product would make money from the customer at whatever the rate is, the shipping would be paid by the merchant and I would collect a small commission on the transaction.

If the customer renting the product then wants to purchase, they can do so at the normal retail price less the rental amount that has already been paid. This again would be paid to the merchant and I would take a small commission on the transaction.

Eventually I would want to have my own inventory of the product, but earlier on I am open to this community idea to see if there is interest there in the first place.

Does that seem like a more sustainable idea?

4. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Not really.

Suppose I want to build an extension on my house and need a mini-digger for the foundations. Your model suggests I can rent it for 30 days and you will deliver/collect it for the same price as you would for the SLR camera I want to 'rent' for my holiday. Or I can 'rent' a video game for 30 days and decide I don't want it anymore once I've finished the game.