Need help on e commerce site

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by euzio.com, Oct 26, 2010.

1. euzio.com

euzio.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've had a successful run at making high profits from creating, buying and selling "premium" domain names and nothing else. I don't develop them, I don't make them into profitable ad based websites, nada. Just the "name" itself. I am able to provide amazing names for others but cannot think of a name for my own personal use. This will be a site which will sell perfumes and cosmetics.
    Some names I own which are unrelated to the field:
    wiovy
    veldio
    perfumesonline247- the obvious thing to go with, but there is always a bob with some variation of this name and I'd like to stand out
    noloko
    musodo
    euzio-weird sounding not thinking about perfumes for this one, but could be a possibility nonetheless.

I possess little to no knowledge of creating a website and what is necessary for a successful e commerce site. I refuse to do any coding on my own as I do not have the time I would much rather pay the price of having someone design the site, which has to be simple, including a simple but complete commerce tool such as big commerce. I need some tips as to who to hire to design my site and if using e commerce is a good idea.

I am running a health and beauty ebay business and my most popular items are perfumes and cosmetics. I had multiple accounts running multiple products, but then my 2 largest accounts got limited, hard, to 25% of regular sales of a week per week. So after years of having problems with ebay I am deciding to cut them off. I am running a legitimate business without scamming anyone in any shape, way or form, while others simply because they are titanium power sellers are allowed sell whatever they please with little to no problems.

As towards directing traffic towards this future site I already have a plan. Providing free shipping and discounts for regular customers on my current ebay accounts is more than enough for them to switch, I am mainly in need of help of finding someone to design a simple, but efficient web site, with an easy to use commerce solution. Btw I'd like to avoid paypal and ebay by all means because I'm tired of getting nickled and dimed, micro managed, and having to wait an hour on the phone for customer service while I'm making them thousands in fees.

I'd also like to had that I have read most of the featured threads of this forum sub section.

#1 euzio.com, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2010
  2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

euzio, I merged your posts.

About a name: what sort of names did you use on your largest accounts at ebay? Couldn't you transfer those names or a combination of them to your new site so if anyone goes looking for them they'll find you? I don't know how ebay works for sellers so forgive me if it's a dumb suggestion.

Of the names you picked, I like veldio. I was thinking that if you looked into ancient goddesses of beauty you might find a name. Not just the usual cultures people associate with goddesses like Greek or Roman (Aphrodite and Venus respectively) , but other ancient cultures - Aztec, Mayan, Egyptian, Celtic, Norse etc...those are just a few suggestions off the top of my head but you get the idea.

3. euzio.com

euzio.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd rather not say as if ebay sees this my other acounts would be limited simply because I mentioned that I have multiple accounts, but they were very generic names such as (examples) perfumes247, perfumewholesellers, names that are owned by others.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

euzio.com have you defined who your target market for your perfume and cosmetic products will be? Your choice of target market will have a major impact on the domain name you use and your website design.

You might find the three sites below helpful for finding a domain name for your business;
    Domain Tools Name Suggestion Tool
    Domain Name Suggestions Tool
    http://wordoid.com find made up words + domain name suggestions

Please post back with your thoughts and I will try to come up with more suggested names.

5. euzio.com

euzio.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In terms of age groups I am not sure what my target market is, but with regards to what I sell I offer low prices of high end perfumes and have been successful at undercutting my competitors. I'd like to emphasize that simplicity is a factor, I can't stress enough how many times I've seen great ebay competitors open some really crappy sites which is pretty much throwing cash away.

I'd also like to add that the wordoid site you provided is a really great site which I can't get over how I've missed out on it being involved in domain sales.

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I love wordoid too! Thanks very much for that resource, Fergal.

Here's some I liked that it came up with that had the word perfume in it:

outperfume (because it sounds like outperform, which is what you plan to do with your discounts)

outperfumed (same reason)

perfumerica (Handy if you're in the US. It has a nice ring to it.)

perfumection (sounds like perfection)

pauperfume (because it's discounts, for paupers)

And some using the -oko ending you mentioned in one of your choices, noloko. I just like the sound of these.

chaikoko

cosmoko

zakoko

tokoko

7. euzio.com

euzio.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like some of your choices though, websites need to be memorable, have a good use of vowels, flow, and preferably short between 4 to 7 letters but not limites too that. There's a lot that goes into a domain name which is why the prices are so high. It's one of those things that is immediately judged like a book's cover.

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yep, I know that would be ideal. You did already say your other ebay names were very generic like perfumes247 etc, so I thought you may want to incorporate that word perfume again. If I have time I'll see what else I can come up with another day.

Btw, I don't like musodo. That sounds like a music site to me.

9. Justin

Justin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You seem to have had some good advice on domain names.

My view is that you either go for a keyword rich domain in which case your perfumesonline247.com would be perfect or you aim to develop a brand. Since you are selling others perfumes and not your own I would aim to go for the keyword rich domain. If you do go for something that you can brand I would make sure it is something that people can easily spell. Euzio.com for example could be spelt in a number of different ways and if my friend was telling me about some awesome perfume company and the next day I went to find it I could look for oozio youzeeo yoozeeo or euzio etc so it may not be ideal unless you have a HUGE budget for branding.

With regards to the actual ecommerce site there are a number of options. If you want something relatively straightforward you might consider bigcommerce.com or if you want to have complete control you want to open cart solutions like Joomla and Virtuemart, Drupal and ubercart, Magento etc. You could go for Wordpress but I think for larger shopping systems it just isnt right for it, although I do like the ecwid shopping cart plugin.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have you considered a combination of branding and keywords, i.e. add a brandable term to the word "perfume" to create your business and domain name. When trying to come up with a brandable word it might help to think along the lines of the following;

Colours - PurplePerfumes
    Birds - NightingalePerfumes
    Emotions - PerfumeJoy
    Adjectives - ZippyPerfumes
    Names - BondPerfumes, EvePerfumes
    Location - ScentsofItaly
    Positive Words - PerfumeSuccess
    Made up words - Like your WiovyPerfumes

All just ideas that might help you come up with something.

11. euzio.com

euzio.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is there a forum where I can directly speak with web designers or a web designer service review forum?

12. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You mean a forum that's specifically related to web design? You could try designerstalk.

Fergal, I liked NightingalePerfumes.

13. euzio.com

euzio.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you guys so much for the help, ultimately I will be going with a brandable domain with the perfume in it and a bunch of keyword rich domains redirecting to this one domain name. I will update you guys tomorrow after I go through these purchases.