Need help deciding...

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by An Alien, Mar 14, 2011.

1. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to open a business but also go to college at the same time. And everyone who I've met so far say that I should minor or have a second major in business. I'm not sure if I can handle that load, and also I wanted to major in two different things before I decided about going into business which was computer science and web development. But now I have to choose between computer science and web development. I love both, and I wish I had the time to do all three and my business, but now I want people's opinion on what I should choose.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

An Alien all of those options are very good ones and it really is difficult for anyone to recommend which option is best for you, because the best option will very much depend on your own personal interests and aptitudes. The one recommendation I would make is that you study what interests you most. For example, if you are really not that interested in studying business, don't just study it because others feel that it would help you to have your own business. Would it be possible for you to do both computer science and web development?

3. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I'm allowed to choose two majors and a minor. But a minor might be too much work so I might not choose that. I was just wondering if anyone who has majored in web development or computer science and could tell me their opinion from their experience.

I recently got told that even though the computer field is growing very fast, a lot of people don't have jobs or they are underpaid because there are so many people doing it now so there isn't much value of IT professionals, web developers, programmer, etc. I was told that if I want to make real money (which I do), then I should do a business that involves my love, computers. So I decided that I was going to do that.

4. jsingerston

jsingerston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have plenty of experience in the IT field. I can tell you that things evolve very rapidly in the IT field. You have to force yourself to stay on top of things constantly. The industry seems to chew up people and spit them out. Companies here in the US continue to trend toward outsourcing overseas wherever possible. Also, the trend is to move software to the cloud. Eventually you will simply have one network tech who can plug in a workstation and connect it to the network/internet. Then after that all of the administration, support and ongoing development will occur at some centralized location overseas.

There are still opportunites. Those opportunites are for people who posess great skill with the latest technology. By the time you hit your forties people will no longer look at you as a cutting edge IT person. You will be viewed as old school even if you have kept up on your skills.

So if you are going to study computer science then I would recommend that you get into engineering which has much better long term prospects. Web development will have plenty of future prosepects as well except you are also going to be competing with workers overseas. One thing that we don't export here is our engineering.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a frightening thought for those of us in Western economies with high labour costs - the world is flat.

Are you referring to any particular type / discipline of engineering?

6. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Apart from the thread I would say that if you have a degree well and good but even if you don't have it than their is no problem, in the field of IT or in the business your degree doesn't matter much the thing which matters is your skill I have witnessed many people which were not able to pass high school but they are now leading most of the big organizations due to their interest in the IT and this field is so vast and changing that you are not sure the thing which you are doing right now may be you will not be doing it tomorrow

7. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If there are certain technical skills that they teach in college that you are sure that you will need in your business, then focus on them in college. I have a MBA and I found that much of the content I took was not really applicable for small business. Much of the small business skills can be learned at seminars and other courses after you finish your formal college. Or you can even take your summers to attend business courses.