Need Career Counselling

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by scifi, Nov 2, 2008.

1. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi! everybody

I am currently pursuing my B.TECH degree in civil engineering from a University in India & side by side also carrying on my MBA under the scholarship scheme being offered by the University itself.

Plz Help Me to know what could be my future career prospects with such kind of degrees as
    B.TECH (civil engineering)+MBA(marketing):confused:

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why are you studying two different courses in two different subjects? Is this normal in your university / area?

Which do you enjoy most Civil Engineering or Marketing?

3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually Civil engineering is my udergraduate degree & MBA is my post graduate degree...

I am passionate about both But feel more comfortable In MBA.....At the same time I want to utilise my Civil Engineering background.....

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have you considered seeking a career in management or business development with a civil engineering company?

5. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

All the civil engineers I have met here in the states are educated to be arrogant non-social individuals*. What they need is someone like you that has the knowledge that they do and the ability to help them sell themselves to the entities that need an engineer. I used to draft mortgage reports for a firm in Michigan that had more civil engineers on staff than surveyors or draftsmen.

* edited to be nice on this forum, my true feeling towards them are far far worse.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like someone had a difficult time with Civil Engineers :)

Having cross skills can make you very valuable and help you find a great niche for yourself, in the job market. If you get a job in a large company, you will be the MBA with the Civil Engineering knowledge.

Have you considered looking for a position with a large construction company or property development business?

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks a lot Fergal for your this valuable advise!!!
    I will definitely try to implement on your advice in actual practice!!!!!!:D

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi! Pendelton
    I really apologize for all the civil engineers from my side being a civil engineer myself.
    I don't know what might be the reason for your feelings but pendelton it is the job that may make them behave like this because if u will visit their working site u will come to know how tense & bad is their working environment....
    Basically they are the most fun loving and social beings & this u can confirm from any civil engineering school in the states.....

9. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It seemed that they thought themselves better than any other degreed person. The cross trained ones that were surveyors were cool, but the straight CEs were bad.

Thanks scifi, you are the first CE that has done that.

10. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry to hear that you had a bad time with civil engineers Pendelton.

Scifi, if you're interested in both Civil Engineering and Marketing, then I would suggest that you find some common ground between these two. It would be difficult to find a job that has both when you're just a new grad but probably, you need to start being a civil engineer first and then after that, work your way up so that you'll also be involved in marketing.

11. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are opportunities in Marketing if you combine it with engineering. Just creativity and ability should go hand in hand together.