Need an in-your-face onscreen timer?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do. It helps me stop getting sidetracked online. When I see how many minutes or hours have slipped away, it refocuses me. This tool is invaluable to me now. Since I discovered E.gg Timer I haven't stopped using it. I can't recommend this highly enough. It's saved me from burnt dinners too!

All you do is input a time, says 20 minutes, and the countdown begins. You do need to keep a tab or window with it open while it's running but you can minimize that. I just use the Faviconize Tab add-on for FF so it doesn't take up much room.

When the time has expired, it will beep and display a full screen sized "time expired" message that jumps right to the front of your screen. It's easier to just test it than me explain it, so give it a whirl. :)

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Looks like a great resource Kay. I use the countdown timer on my phone or watch all the time. What I do is set the timer and then try to get as much work as possible done, before it goes off. Or sometimes I will decide that a particular task should take x minutes, set the timer for that and then leave the task when the timer goes off. This helps prevent me from wasting too much time on any one task.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, sounds like you have a great system going there! I tried doing that with my alarm clock. It wasn't enough for me because I'd half hear the alarm going off, switch it off and then clean forget about it. When I'm engrossed in something I need a tool that literally stops me from working on what I was working on onscreen by overlaying it. This does the job for me. :)