Need Advice: Walmart as a career.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by MeanBossLady, Jan 7, 2013.

1. MeanBossLady

MeanBossLady
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, I don't visit the forum often but when I do, it's because I have a conflicting issue and I've found the few times I've come here for help, I've gotten great feedback. :)

But a quick background: I'm 27, I have no college degree (but starting in February and working towards business management), have worked for Walmart for several years as an hourly stocker, and was considering moving up in the corporate ladder.

My question is basically, what are your thoughts of this company as an associate? Even if you don't have experience working for this company, you can still see how it's run as a customer. I've had customers tell me the associates are quite miserable. But anyway.

My problem is is that on paper, Walmart is a great company to work for but from my experience, and working in three different stores (two on the east coast, one on the west coast), I find that working for this company and trying to move up is almost an impossible task. The environment is negative, the people never stop whining and never start problem solving, the management is a joke, and trying to get promoted is like trying to find a needle in a haystack thats been covered in crap.

I came forward to one of the higher members of management (shift manager, one step below store manager) and he made himself my mentor. The position I was going for was a supervisor position on my shift. This position has now been open twice in the year and a half I've worked here and I am not even remotely close to being considered for the position. Not once in the year and a half that this guy was my mentor has he pulled me aside and helped, advised, or guided me. I told him straight out, "groom me into the position" and he hasn't done jack sh*t. I came forward because I know my downfalls but I still needed help. How much did I get? None from him, but a ton from my current supervisor, who consistently gets passed up for promotions even though he knows SO MUCH MORE than people who get promoted.

I'm so fed up with this company that I just cut my full time hours down to two days to take a break for school and get some time away from that place. But I really wonder. Should I keep trying new stores to find the perfect fit (kind of like dating, lol) or should I just give up on this company?

Every store I've been in, most of the managers were jokes, the associates got away with murder, the work was always put on the harder workers, you don't get full time status even though you're working full time, they don't solve problems, and the list just continues to grow.

Some advice?

Thanks!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I live in Ireland and have only been in Walmart stores once or twice during trips to the US. Hence, I have no personal experience of what it would be like to work there. However, when I hear people criticise the management of very large and successful companies it makes me wonder how would the company have become so successful if their management was so poor. Management are often more effective than staff or outsiders give them credit for.

From what you write above it sounds as if you don't have a strong love or passion for the company. Do you think it would be possible for you to start loving your current job and employer or could you find a job with another employer that you do love? You will be much more successful in your career if your values are aligned with those of your employer and if you are passionate about your company and what it is trying to achieve.

Good luck with it.

3. MeanBossLady

MeanBossLady
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal. The problem with Walmart is it's monopolistic existence. No matter how bad the decisions are within store (because the problem is per store, not the company as a whole), it will ALWAYS make money. The customer base are people looking to save a penny so no matter how crappy they are treated or how long the lines are, they will always return. Walmart is the opposite of what any business should be, inside and out.

4. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I heard a lot of negative things about Walmart and I agree that whatever those things are it will always make money. The thing is, would you still consider to work on the corporate ladder if you don't love the company, staffs, etc.? I don't. Find a thing you love to do and think on how you're gonna be payed while doing that. A lot of people will tell you that they'll help you get up, but there are a lot of plastic (people who aren't real to you) in this kind of work telling you that they'll help you but they won't.

5. sanjuk61

sanjuk61
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think so...

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always believed that people ask for the opinion on decision making actually have the answer on their mind, they are just looking for some support. Anyway, when employee starting to have many complaint about company, that's the time for them to leave the company because it is demotivated the employee to work under the environment they are keep complaining but nothing can be done to solve the problem.

Sorry to said that it is too hard to find a perfect company (it is same as finding husband/wife), other company is always better than the company we are working. What i can say is good luck for the next try

• Like Like x 1
  7. dlcnetwork

dlcnetwork
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I had a similar situation with a local department store when I was young. Honestly, you can't make the management do better, you can't make the decisions needed to be made because you don't have the authority. Find something you wouldn't mind doing even if the conditions in coworkers was the same. That's what you should do.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MeanBossLady

MeanBossLady
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@cesspadilla, yes, the plastic people are rampant in the company, and unfortunately, I chose one to be a mentor!

@sigma, that's the same thought process I had, about comparing it to finding a husband or wife. I figured that Walmart has a whole would be 'people' and there could be one store that could be my 'husband or wife', but I guess it's just not worth searching through!

@dlcnetwork, you're right and that is my downfall. I hate not having authority and it's just boiling over.

I'm done with this company. :) Although, I'll have to stick around as a work hours for a few more years to help with college.

Thanks all for the advice!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Perhaps you can be on the look out for another job while you are studying? Or maybe you could even start your own part time business to support your college work?

10. sellthefish

sellthefish
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would stick with the job at wal-mart while your in college. During your tenure at college you can work part-time and gain even more seniority within the ranks of wal-mart - despite the fact that it hasn't been very rewarding for you so far. However, come the day where you receive your college degree then you will be in the driver seat. You can either have wal-mart make you an offer for a management position(and with a lot more pay of course) or you can put in your two weeks and quit. Should you decide to leave (and this is after you obtain your degree) you will not only be a viable candidate for a mangement position in another company because of your education, but also because of your very long tenure at wal-mart. This will show prospective employers that your not a job-hopper but more of a company man.

And who knows, should you not only put in for your two weeks but actually finish them out, you could ask the store manager for a letter of recommendation and that can only make things even better for you and your new career path.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mean Boss Lady…..

You sound really ambitious which is a rare trait these days. I find it exceptionally rare as a business owner.

My advice would be for you to keep working at Walmart for the time being and keep your chin up.

While doing that, I would begin searching for a new place with a better shot at upward mobility.

Here is what you can do:

Sit down in a nice quiet place where you won’t be disturbed for a couple hours. Make yourself a hot pot of coffee or tea or hot chocolate or whatever works for you.
    Make a list of all the things you would wish for in your new place of employment if you were to leave Walmart. They might be things like this:
    1) Pay must be comparable or better than what I am making now
    2) Hours need to be flexible enough for my college classes
    3) Management has to recognize and reward ambition
    4) Must be within reasonable driving distance
    5) Etc…
    6) Etc..

When you find a place that meets your requirements, go right in and approach the store manager if at all possible. Tell him or her that you are an ambitious, hard working person looking for an opportunity to prove yourself within the company. Ask for their advice on how to get your foot in the door with that company.

Be careful about talking to underlings. Try to go straight to the top. You want the head honcho to see that you are ambitious firsthand. That will make all the difference.

If you are having difficulty finding a large corporation that meets your requirements, then you should look for a small business that fits your requirements. If you talk to any small business owner like I suggested, that person will want to hire you. Maybe they will be in a position to do so and maybe not.

Truly ambitious people are the hardest thing in the world for a business owner to find, especially ones that are willing to work for the wages that Walmart pays.

Make sure when you meet with this person that you don’t discuss what you want out of the deal. Discuss what you offer them. Discuss how they will benefit and what you will bring to their table. That is what they care about.

• Like Like x 3
  12. smo9marketing

smo9marketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

if you like the company.

stay there.

if you feel you need more risk and reward, start a ecommerce store.

just ship on weekends and on wednesdays.

I've met rich rich barbers and poor bankrupt PhD entrepreneurs.

Only the rich entrepreneurs make news.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MeanBossLady

MeanBossLady
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you all for the advice!! I knew coming here would bring some hope to the situation.

I definitely decided to leave the company, but there are a few other bigger companies I want to get my foot in, like Whole Foods or Trader Joes, but we'll see. COLLEGE FIRST!

:) :)

• Like Like x 1