Need Advice, please!

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Jennalynnd, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Jennalynnd

Jennalynnd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would greatly appreciate some advice from a stranger. Who would be able to give me some non-judgemental advice about the major changes I am about to make in my life.
    In black and white...
    I have an amazing job, that I love, with talks of promotion, that I have been working my whole life for. Where I work with some of the most incredible people that I could easily call my family. Job location: NY.
    My boyfriend has moved to SC to start up his own business in commercial maintenance services. The plan is that I go down there to run the office and help grow the business.
    His best friend just moved down there too, to work in the business.
    I was just told that this friend received 15% of the shares. My boyfriend wants to give me only 3%! He says the plan is for the two of us to have 33%, his friend to have 33% and the third owner have the remaining.
    I love the idea of changing and trying something new.
    However, I am starting to feel I really need to look out for myself and my future and maybe this is to risky...

Insight?Please!

2. stephen

stephen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My boyfriend has a computer shop, and I will graduate in the summer. He wants me to help him, but I refused. I insist on finding a job by myself.
    I am always thinking girls should have thier own carrer. Thus they can depend on themselves over financial. We will feel more free to have own career.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Jennalynnd , thanks for joining. That's a tough decision you face and I agree that your top priority should be to do what's best for you. What does your heart and your instinct tell you to do? If you're not sure try to get some quiet time by yourself to relax and find some peace. Making a decision should be much easier after that.

Good luck with it and please do keep us updated on your thoughts.

4. a.m.Flacuks

a.m.Flacuks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
    I would say you have to evaluate what you are giving up against what you may gain (BE REALISTIC)
    Such decision requires a sober mind. You may want to seek input from your friends who observed your relationship from the side.
    I would hate to read here that you made the move and ended up with nothing. On the other hand it would be awesome if it worked out.

Separate business from emotions.

a.m.Flacuks

5. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello there Jennalynnd
    Yes, that's a tough decision you face. Maybe you should do your own thing. Your boyfriend should understand that it's a difficult decision for you to make.
    Or maybe try to work with your boyfriend for a period and then make you decision. Either way good Luck