This is my first post but after reading some other post I wish I had found this forum long ago. I have just recently been contacted by one of our competitors parent company and I was informed of their interest in buying my small family business. There are moments I would love to sale and others that I see an advantage to just hanging on to what we have. It has made a nice living for several family members for the past 40 years. My Dad started the company in 1974 and I have been with the company since finishing school in 1983. I became the company president about 12 years ago when my Dad retired. I'm in the process of gathering the info needed for the initial valuation. This is all going through our accountant for advice but I'm really wondering where their initial price will be and was hoping some of you might give me some ideas to think on while I wait for my accountant to return from vacation. Using the following info what would be your best guess as to where their first offer should be. I know there are many factors to consider and I am getting professional advice but I'm just trying to see if my thoughts are close. Company started: !974. Type of Work: Utility Construction Number of Employees: 45 A rough look at some numbers in general: 2009 EBITDA : 620,000 2010 EBITDA: 975,000 2011 EBITDA: 785,000 2012 EBITDA: 345,000 2013 EBITDA: 1,285,000 ..... ....... Earned Revenue: 5,500,000.00 ........... Projected Profit: 650,000 2014 Revenue should increase 5 - 6% As you see in the numbers we are at our peak and probably are at our strongest point in history. We lost money last year for the first time in 14 years. This was due to projects with our largest client was late in the year starting. This year (2013) we are far ahead in every category. In the proposed deal the company name remains the same. All employees will remain and myself and 3 key employees will work under contract for a period of time (probably 5 years). I have several employees that have been with me between 20 and 30 years with 2 that have over 30 years of service so I also feel obligated to protect their job and family Please view this from my view point. I have never considered selling until now and the only reason I consider it now is I know two companies this group has already purchased and it has worked like a dream for them. I'm looking at it like taking some chips off the table and still playing the game. If this sale don't happen at some point I will retire and then it will be up to the younger family members who will run the company to pay off my stock over a period of time. I am 48 years old and hope to retire at 60. If the company goes broke later on so will my retirement. I really don't like depending on others for my retirement but they won't be able to pay me off in one payment at retirement. Whats your thoughts? Like I stated above I'm getting professional advice but its taking awhile and its driving me crazy. Thanks so much for any help of any guess.