Need advice on online marketing and ads for a music artist

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Sjur, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Sjur

Sjur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am about to sell my album(music) and need some advice on where to advertice. I have tried google but ended up paying 2 dollars a click for a image ad. Got 9000 impressions and 3 click. So that is not working, but I find it strange because many other artist or record labels advertise, but how? I can not pay that much on a click. I am thinking more like .001 dollars per click. Plus 3 out of 9000 is so bad and my ad is pretty good. Find it strange. Is there an other way of doing this?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Sjur.

I can see one great advantage to those stats. You only paid for three clicks, yet had your ad exposed 9,000 times, even at $2 a click that's only $6 to have your ad displayed to 9,000 potential customers. If you ad clearly shows your website name or domain name, perhaps many people who see your ad will type your site name into their browser without actually clicking on the ad.

Did you notice an increase in traffic at the time you ran the ad?

Would it be possible for you to make your site URL more prominent on your ads?

3. Sjur

Sjur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah true thats a lot of impressions, but the ad does not display my website URL only my name and that it is available on itunes. Maybe I should also write my URL on the bottom. Good idea. I had it linked directly to a itunes search that openes the itunes software. I will have to wait until a couple of days to see if I had any sales.

4. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

.... and make your URL clickable? Sometimes, people would just want to click on your ad and then send them to your website. If they do not or cannot click on it or a click going to your website is nor provided, then that is what you might be missing.

5. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You've come to the right place, my friend. I've had a lot of success marketing music online.

But, before we start, where can I hear your music?

6. localnumberone

localnumberone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In the present scenario advertising online need research. As you have mentioned about your investment and get nothing. You should promote your music albums through Organic SEO it will definitely help your business within your budget.

7. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best way to advertise your album will be on the sites where there are people who wants to hear new music. So, that means you need to target sites like YouTube, Metcafe, Dailymotion, etc. Where there are people who will wish to hear your music.

If you've good budget then I'd suggest getting yourself featured on this video sharing sites. This will help you in getting more and more users wishing to hear your music. You can also start your own channel on such sites so people will subscribe your channel and can hear more music.

Here are the resources which will help you:

http://www.youtube.com/advertise/
    http://www.metacafe.com/advertise/
    http://advertising.dailymotion.com/

Also, you mentioned that you used Adwords for promoting your videos. I think it is a great way to advertise and your stats are good as Fergal, explained. If you're not comfortable with paying $2 per click then you can easily reduce the price per click in your Adwords account which will then give you clicks at lower rates. And also how many ads did you try making? You should create different - different ads in your Adwords for best experience. I've been using Adwords since a couple of year now and creating multiple ads with different wordings works well for me.

And also did you tried creating video ads in Adwords? Maybe that can work out well for you?

Good Luck,
    Sahil

• Like Like x 1
  8. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm very experienced when it comes to marketing music online. I've been doing it for a few
    years now and I've finished quite a few successful marketing campaigns for new albums.
    The key to effective marketing of an album is in using social media properly and building a
    reputation as an artist that stands out above the competition. The best part about marketing
    the way I do is that it costs almost no money and works just as well as PPC advertising
    campaigns.

1. Distribution
    You're going to want your music on iTunes and Amazon, those two sites account for a majority
    of the music sales and album downloads right now so doing this should be your main priority.
    Use a service like Tunecore to get your finished album distributed on these sites in just a few
    days. It only costs a few dollars to get your album distributed in many different countries
    all over the world, which used to cost millions of dollars to do before the Internet started
    providing digital downloads. Once your album is up on these music sites you can move on
    to the next step.

2. Social Media
    After you have your album up on iTunes and Amazon, you need to start marketing your music
    on Twitter, YouTube, SoundCloud and Jango (if you want to pay a low price for thousands of
    radio plays). It's important you do these social media sites first because they're the easiest
    social media platforms to get followers on for FREE, no advertising costs. After you've created
    your account on each of the sites, start following other users that follow artists who have
    music that is similar to yours. For instance, if you produce dubstep music, start following
    users who follow Skrillex. A good percentage of the people you follow will end up following you
    back after a couple days, and a smaller percentage of them will actually listen to your music
    and give you some feedback. Keep adding people until you've reached your adding limit and
    give them a few days to accept your friend request. Then after a few days have passed remove
    all of the people you added and start over again. Look at how many comments and fans one of
    my artists got on SoundCloud in just a few weeks http://soundcloud.com/mvmofficial.
    Also, how many Twitter followers in just over a month https://twitter.com/#!/MVMOfficial.
    This method works if you do it right and your music starts to look very reputable after a while.
    Make sure each of these accounts points back to your Facebook page with a link.

3. Facebook
    Funnel all of the followers you get from Twitter, YouTube, SoundCloud and Jango to a Facebook
    band page and get them to "like" your page. It's almost impossible to get fans on Facebook
    unless you start getting fans on the other sites first. Facebook should be the main hub where
    you interact with all of your fans because it has the widest audience reach and will give you the
    most potential to go viral. Facebook also gives you very good statistical data to track the
    demographics of your fans. From Facebook, provide all of your fans with a direct link to your
    iTunes page with your album. I can almost guarantee you will start making some sales if your
    music is decent. You'll also be able to keep track of your progress with Facebook insights like this:
    [​IMG]

4. Affiliate Commissions
    If you're a broke artist, like many are, you're going to want to cash in on every opportunity
    you can get. If your music is on iTunes, sign up for an affiliate account with Linkshare
    so you earn an additional commission on every sale you make. iTunes only gives you $.70
    for every song you sell, using this method gets you an additional 5% commission which adds
    up over time so it's worth doing.

5. Official Website
    Consider spending a little bit of money on setting up an official website for your music. It's
    pretty cheap to get web hosting and a really basic website setup. Having your own website
    allows you to have more control over your content and lets you link to your music with affiliate
    links, have separate links to all your social media pages, post updates on a blog, or whatever
    else you might have in mind. If you decide to make an official website, make it your main hub
    for fans instead of your Facebook page.

6. PPC Advertising
    Paying per click like you do on AdWords and Facebook ads gets really expensive really fast so
    it usually isn't worth doing unless you make killer returns on each dollar you spend. Because
    your product (album) is so cheap, it usually isn't worth paying per click because you won't
    have a large enough margin to make any money with the advertising. Stick to the free method
    of marketing and you'll end up making more money if you're willing to put in the extra work.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Navida

Navida
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you should search for music artist sites or shoud create a music artistpartner website and then add other music artists to that website by exchanging banner of your current website and their banner on partner website, it will be more effective for creating backlinks and increases web traffic.

10. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I second ThirdSEO strategic. Because the traditional way of selling album(music) no longer work, below are some sample store stat (refer to traffic stat):

View attachment 1176
    http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/cdjapan.co.jp (Selling music to Japanese, target niche market)

View attachment 1177
    http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/yesasia.com (Selling CD, DVD, Blue-ray to everyone, target general market)

Both are showing down trend, both are well establish company, what happen to them? Target both niche and general market also not workable.

Base on below stat, I would summaries that the potential place to distribute Album are Amazon, Ebay (depend on region), Google product, iTune, Android market place. Personally I like Shazam application to distribute music.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/ebay.com (Showing up trend)
    http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/ebay.com.my (Showing down trend)
    http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/amazon.com (Showing up trend)

View attachment 1178

If you plan to setup a site, ideally point the domain to tumblr, then sync with facebook and twitter. By doing this, you can distribute the Album information to multiple place. All social site encourage social sharing and good place to collect follower.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice graphs to include in your post patrick0001!

12. Sjur

Sjur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for everything people! I don`t think advertising will work with a 2 dollar per click rate. I think I need to get my music into radio and get newspaper revews. Also try to get some facebook group followers. Here is my web and marketing graphics if you like to see and hear. The page will be on www.sjur.tv .

http://www.aadildesigner.net/demo/sjur/index.html

13. ilovedesign

ilovedesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The problem might be that people are seeing your ads but aren't able to get to your music. People are lazy enough not to check your stuff out even if you add just a two or three clicks to their browsing. Try making the download and payment page more accessible by making the link easy to see and follow.