Need advice on asking for a real office.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by slp3455, Mar 25, 2010.

1. slp3455

slp3455
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just starting working at a construction engineering company as a marketing coordinator. This is my second position in the industry so I brought good, working knowledge of the industry and the ability to help the company create a real marketing strategy. I was disappointed, though, that I received a cubical upon coming here. There are four offices that mostly remain empty as the project managers are on the construction sites.

We're soon moving to a new office where there will be six offices and four cube spaces. Should I ask for use of one of the offices? Would it make me seem difficult? Or asking for something above my current status? I am not a marketing manager but I might as well be because I am the only marketing staff and I report directly to the company president.

Should I think up good reasons such as entertaining clients, privacy when speaking with clients, etc.? What other reasons could I give?

What do you think?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum slp3455 and congratulations on your new job.

Yes, I would suggest that you think of some genuine reasons as to how you could do your job better, if you had an office rather than a cubicle. Then present these reasons to your immediate superior. Explain the benefits from the business perspective and not a personal perspective, i.e. tell them how having an office would help the business, not how it would help you.

Try to be as diplomatic as possible, don't make too big a deal of the issue. If the company decides against giving you an office, that's fine too. Make the best of the situation and do your job to the best of your abilities.

Good luck with it.

3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HI!! SLP3455..
    Welcome to the BAF...

Good to see some one with exactly similar job profile as my qualification....
    Currently landed at a job with designation of Mgt, Trainee in marketing in Cement Division.... :D

So I think can understand u better...
    First of all, u need to analyze ...
    Why do u need a office?
    what are u'r reasons 4 a office...Will it increase u'r working efficiency or just u want a office 4 status in the company....
    marketing is more of a field job..although its u'r second job, but I think u should focus more on field rather sitting in the office because it will not only enrich u'r experience but will also train u'r mind to frame mkting strategies sitting in the office by simply analyzing the possible situation in fields...

Tc..let me know u'r view point....

4. slp3455

slp3455
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My reasons

Thank you both for the good advice! I think I will go and ask for it.

@scifi - I will be trying to get out to meet clients more often once I get more familiar with the company, it's projects and goals. I do think marketing professional services is a little different than selling a product, though. However, my last marketing job was almost exclusively in the office, and I took this one because the President WANTS me talking with clients and getting out to pre-proposal meeting. I can't wait!

I think I did come up with some good reasons for needing a real office space. Let me know what you think:

Reasons for office

1. Ability to talk on the phone with clients, co-workers and consultants in private and without background noise.
    2. Increased marketing efficiency with less office distractions (i.e., fax ringing behind me, loud phone echo throughout the office, printers/copiers going near me, people talking in the hallways).
    3. Gives me the ability to host a client or consultant in my office space for increased positive Omega image.
    4. Gives me the ability to efficiently organize marketing materials with more space.
    5. Helps the company increase business with a more concentrated marketing effort.

It is pretty noisy in the office when the field guys come in and are milling about int he hallways because they don't have work areas.

5. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With that having been said, I think you already have what makes your reasons being justifiable and indispensable, so stick to it. You seem to hold a substantial position in your company and have the authority with regards to handling business clients in your specific task. Stating that you hold the current "one-man show" section/division, why not try to stand to the essentials of one of Marketing's 4P elements ("The Right PLACE")? Given that the purpose of your proposal is to furnish vital services to the management, on the basis of which you will provide information and formulates its policies (like most offices/departments). I'm sure you'll be favored by the company president since you're directly reporting to him/her.

Good luck!

#5 gtt, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for posting back slp3455, your reasons for needing an office sound great and hopefully they will impress your superiors in the company. Good luck with it and with the new job.

7. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with the advice and think you've thought through this really well. The most important thing as has been stressed is to show how you having an office adds value to the company so go for it.

8. iketz0

iketz0
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With this simple conflict, a lot of points must be consider in this situation. Well, if you really that having a office will be a great help in your work, I think there is no reason for your boss to don't grant your request. Tell it in a nice way. Good luck!

By the way, congrats on your job!