NEED ADVICE! Office Politics (Resources)

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by BearingTheEarth, Nov 18, 2014.

1. BearingTheEarth

BearingTheEarth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been looking over a lot of resources that cover topics in personal branding, office politics, career advancement, and the like. I've also been looking at the discussions around them, and it feels like the same few criticisms keep coming up:

• The subject matter is too general, tries to illustrate points by telling irrelevant stories when people want specific next actions
    • It's all common sense: any piece of advice that people have makes you want to come back with, "Well, duh."
    • So many tactics seem immoral (or just annoying). You don't want to act (and feel) like a jerk for just a chance to get ahead.

It feels like these same patterns keep coming up whether I'm reading an article off of Forbes or an MBA program feature like the 48 Laws of Power. Do you think any of those criticisms are right? What criticisms do you have about articles in this area, or what do you think authors could do to make it better?

Or, I guess since I'm looking for good resources, which authors or writers do you like most? What do you like about the way they present?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help, guys!