Need Advice for Collaborative Web Environment Business Model

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by HorizonPath.net, Jul 12, 2011.

1. HorizonPath.net

HorizonPath.net
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My Colleagues,

I'm looking for some business advice on how to expand my business system into an open source community of like-minded professionals who are driven to collaboratively create an ever-growing method system for business and career change. In other words, within the field of conscious business practices, together creating a source of knowledge and practices in an organized system that is shared and expanded so that the total system becomes greater than any individual's insight. Kind of like a knowledge forum but with collaborative organization to work within a complex system. AND, to convince professionals not to guard their knowledge as secrets, but share with others in the interest of solving problems faster.

A little background:

Many of you have observed changes in business practices over the past 20 years that consider the impact on society and environment beyond the products or services the company offers. For instance, the amount of waste we produce, the selection of resouces, the reduction of factors that affect the environment negatively, community service, etc. The recent strong trend in business is with "Green" initiatives. In fact, more than environmental factors, new business leaders are recognizing that everything is connected, thus our decisions require much deeper considerations psychologically, socially, metaphysically, environmentally, politically, etc. Everything we do has an effect beyond traditional business models.

For the past couple of decades, primarily larger businesses have hired consultants or corporate social responsibility managers to address some of these issues. Some are addressed by Human Resource Departments, some by CEO's, department managers, etc. But the solutions remain separated, and also in a competitive environment instead of a nurturing environment. Quite frankly, this is all still so new that profound change in business is still in such a state of complexity that many still don't know what to do or how.

My intention, and current work, is creating a method system that helps companies and consultants identify these issues and implement new global conscious business awareness and pro-action within their company. And I want to make this available to small business, entrepreneurs, and startup businesses so they can build their companies more effectively without making the same mistakes in traditional business practices. But I realize this would be much more effective if the experts in the industry wanted to participate in a collaborative effort to create a unified, flexible change system that could be utilized by any business big or small, and affordable.

Does anyone have any advice or experience on how to technically create a collaborative environment on the web that is organized rather than chaotic; can be detailed oriented in methods, workflow, and documents; where solutions can be discussed for best practices; and how to make it technically sustainable as it grows?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you think that using a Wiki might work for you? You could use something like MediaWiki to create one.

3. HorizonPath.net

HorizonPath.net
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Perhaps! I will look into this more. It solves the collaboration environment. My initial concern is that it might not follow a method or workflow. But maybe it can be constructed as such. For instance, in a sub-system called "Operations" and "Resource Planning", there would be several perspectives to consider and several tools, questionaires, workshops, and identifiers to engage awareness and create solutions within this sub-system. If the underlying structure of information could be controlled by a template and workflow structure, it could work as a Wiki. Thanks for the point Fergal! I will explore it more in depth.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

HorizonPath.net I'm not sure if they provide any of the features you are looking for but http://basecamphq.com and http://backpackit.com might also be worth a look. Good luck with it and please do let us know what you decide on.