Need a new laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by Jay., Apr 4, 2013.

1. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm looking for a new windows laptop.

Ideal budget: £275-£400

I basically just want something very fast with decent battery life and so on...

I was initially looking at only laptops with 6GB ram (as my current one is 4GB) but maybe I need a better processor and 4GB RAM is actually enough? I'm not entirely sure.

Any thoughts on what to buy and from where?

2. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-N...t=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item2c6d710c8f

12 Months Parts & Labour Warranty

Specifications

Colour – Silver
    Screen size - 15.6 in
    Processor - Intel® Core™ i3 2370M – 2.4 GHz
    RAM - 6 GB
    Hard Drive - 500 GB
    HDMI - Yes
    USB - 3
    VGA - Yes
    Multi Card Slot – 3-in-1
    Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    Webcam – Yes
    Stereo Speakers – 1.5W x 2

Check this jay i think you might like it its very fast and within your range.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks, this seems great. Is that what you have?

My only issue is that it says it's refurbished. I would ideally prefer a new laptop. For that money I'm not sure it's worth taking the risk on a refurbished one, what do you think?

4. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

they are giving 12 months warranty which is ok and to be honest if its manufactured refurbished then its almost like new,.

5. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

7. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I would go for Toshiba mainly because of windows 8 and screen size i like bigger screen size laptops, and PC World is reliable store so you have nothing to worry there.

8. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, my current laptop has quite similar specs to the first one you posted (except the 6GB RAM) so I guess the Toshiba would feel like more of an upgrade rather than a replacement.

With the Toshiba being dual core as well, I wouldn't have any issues with speed I'm guessing either?

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's not Windows, but if I was looking for a laptop, I would seriously consider Google Chromebook.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

11. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal. Yes, I've seen it before and it's very impressive for the price... is there anything Google can't do?! My issue is that it might not be powerful enough for what I want. I have the money to buy something better so would probably edge towards something slightly fancier.

This seems good too: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310645066476?item=310645066476

I'm worried if the processor will be good enough? Thoughts?

12. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/dell-inspiron-15-3521-laptop/860955?pos=1;20

OVERVIEW
    Brand Dell
    Model Number 3521
    Utility Everyday Use
    Color Black Matte Textured Finish
    PLATFORM
    Architecture 64 Bit
    Operating System Windows 8
    STORAGE
    Hard Disk Capacity 500GB
    Hardware Interface SATA
    RPM 5400
    Size & Weight
    Weight 2.37 kg
    Dimension (W*D*H) 375.92 x 259.1 x 33 mm
    POWER & BATTERY
    Battery Backup Upto 3.5 hours Standby
    Power Supply 65 W AC Adapter
    Standard Battery 4 cell
    DISPLAY
    Screen Size 15.6 Inch
    Resolution 1366 x 768 Pixel
    Screen Type WLED Display
    MEMORY
    RAM 6GB
    PROCESSOR
    Processor Name Intel Pentium Dual Core
    Variant 2117
    Clock Speed 1.80 GHz
    Cache Memory 2 MB
    OPTICAL DISK DRIVE
    Optical Drive DVD RW Drive with Dual Layer Support
    GRAPHICS
    Dedicated Graphics Memory Type Integrated Graphics
    KEYBOARD/INPUT DEVICE
    Integrated Camera 0.3 Megapixel Webcam
    Pointer Device Touchpad
    Keyboard Standard Keyboard
    AUDIO
    Speakers Stereo Speakers
    COMMUNICATION
    Ethernet 10/100
    Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11b/g/n
    PORTS/SLOTS
    USB Port 3 x USB 2.0
    Mic In Yes
    RJ45 LAN Yes
    HDMI Port Yes
    VGA Port Yes
    Multi Card Slot Yes
    WARRANTY
    Period 1 Year
    IN THE BOX
    Package Contents Laptop, Battery, AC Adapter, User Guide and Manuals

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Jay,

If you are interested in performance you should look at the following things in a laptop

1) CPU Ghz – Even multicore processors will only run as fast as the slowest core.
    2) CPU cache – One of the single most important features in a CPU (next to the core speed of the chip) is how much internal cache the chip has. You will see that some chips only have 3M of cache while more powerful chips have up to about 8M for mobile computing. More is definitely better here and makes a big difference in how powerful that laptop is.
    3) Ram is cheap right now so you can easily get 8GB in a laptop. So why not do it.
    4) Hard drive speed – everyone is concerned about hard drive size, but the size of the hard drive has no bearing on the speed of the computer until that drive is 99% full. Until then, the amount of free space you have makes very little difference in performance. The thing you want to pay attention to is HDD speed. For example a 7200RPM hard drive is much faster at retrieving data than a 5400RPM drive even if the 5400RPM drive has more cache. Most laptop manufacturers are now shipping laptops with a small SSD (solid state drive) that has the operating system on it. That provides a huge boost in performance because it is like having the entire Windows program loaded into RAM all the time. So, the computer performs much better.

I don’t know how good those specs are going to be in your price range. But, those are the key features I would pay the most attention to.
    I would definitely get an Intel based laptop rather than an AMD based laptop. I would be looking at Intel Core i5 or Intel Core i7.
    Then I would base my decision on the Ghz, how much cache it has, get 8GB of ram, and get a laptop that has the SSD integrated into it for the operating system to run on.
    That is my advice.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks a lot for that. Since you clearly have a good knowledge of this kind of thing, could you perhaps point me in the direction of a laptop that actually has the kind of specs you mentioned in your last few sentences. I can't find anything that good [intel core i5, 8gb ram, SSD intergrated etc] for anywhere near £400. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

Of course I'd be willing to go slightly over that, but ideally not by much. I don't need the very latest and very best, just something quite powerful that will get the job done.

15. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wish I had the time to pick one out for you, but unfortunately I don't.

You don't have to get those exact specs and you might not find one in your price range. If you can't find on in your price range then I would sacrifice a little bit in those specs until I found something that works.

If I was going to cut any corners, then I suppose I would settle for not getting the small SSD for the operating system to run on. I would just get a standard hard drive. I would still look for a 7200RPM hard drive though if I couldn't afford to get that SSD. People underestimate how important hard drive speed is to the performance of a computer. The only thing they focus on is hard drive size. Speed is more important if you are concerned about how fast your laptop is going to be.

You may also have to get a Core i3 instead of an i5 or i7. Most of the Core i3's have 3m of cache I do believe.

I don't know where you guys in the UK buy your gear from.

Here in the United States, I would check the laptop manufactures sites directly (Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony, etc.) as well as Bestbuy.com, Newegg.com and Buy.com (which is now Rakuten.com). I have purchased from all three of them before and they are all trustworthy vendors to deal with in my opinion. One time I got an incredible deal at Bestbuy.com on a model that was being discontinued. I got it for half price.