Need a little help with first website

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by dsteele, Sep 7, 2010.

1. dsteele

dsteele
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I made my first website a squeeze page to start building a list (website link in sig) and I'm not sure if there is something else I should do to it before i start generating traffic. I was also thinking about making it into a wordpress blog with an opt-in for to the right of the page and put content there daily for the next couple months. I guess I'm just a little unsure as to whether this squeeze page is going to make me any money in the next couple months : ( and this is something I am really passionate about and want to work so any advice would help please look at my site and let me know what you think.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The main comment I would make is that you need to emphasise the free content that you are giving. When I first looked at the page I expected you to try to sell me something. So you might try a major heading near the top of your site, with text something like "Get our free ebook today and start making money online tonight!". Not a great slogan I know, but you should be able to come up with something better.

3. Mikey

Mikey
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Designer

When i visit the site in your sig, I get a brand new wordpress blog?

If you're looking for quality wordpress themes, look no further than http://elegantthemes.com - it's got some really professional themes.

4. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It looks like you've already changed the page to the latter, so I can't comment on the original layout of the previous 'ebook' offer. Hopefully Fergal's comments gave you some beneficial feedback there (despite having not seen the page, everything he mentioned is good feedback regardless of the layout).

As an instant reaction, using centered text for an entire page like that is horrible from an aesthetic point of view. If I wasn't on the page to give you some feedback, I'd instantly have closed the page never to return. Personally I'd justify that text (have it spread out so that it fills the full space available on the line), or even simply left align it, but never centre the entire copy like that.

If you're producing a page on 'article writing' and mention the benefit of "Learn how to write good articles", I'd suggest you review the copy and correct the numerous errors. We're all capable of the odd typo, but where "its" is used in place of "it's" every time, it's more than just a typo. Some of the run on sentences are very off putting. You need to show readers that you're able to provide them with good information, if your page is produced in a relatively formal manner (as it is) then you need to ensure you take care to produce the content with the target readers in mind (so no careless mistakes). Using a simple word processing package will easily pick up most of the errors, without much additional effort.

This is a question only you can answer. How to you intend to monetize it?

Given your existing privacy policy on the site...
    .. yet there is no information on what someone is signing up to, there's a fair chance that however you attempt to use this page (be it sending affiliate offers or any common IM techniques) you'll be in breach of your own privacy statement.

If you don't clearly explain what someone will receive, they won't sign up (e.g. if you clearly offer a copy of the ebook previously mentioned, that potentially gives them a reason to sign up [assuming it's something people actually want]). Your page needs a strong call to action and you need to earn your readers trust (so you need to prove to them that signing up to your site will benefit them, something that isn't addressed at the moment).

5. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi - There's not much I can add to Fergal and Paul's good feedback above. I really like the template itself. However, I'd strongly recommend you turn on permalinks for your posts so you get the post name in the URL, rather than just a string of meaningless numbers. Much better for SEO.

To use permalinks with the post name go to the WP Settings -> Permalinks, and the select a custom structure.
    Type
    Code:
    /%postname%/
    The other thing to do is marketing and link building. There are some very good article marketing methods here that get fast results.
    http://www.linkbuildingtools.co.uk/article-marketing-for-killer-results/

Apart from that its about building your mailing list and getting loyal customers. I see you have a Follow Me link, but the Feedburner is not enabled so it doesnt work yet. You need to go to Feedburner.com and set up an account, then link it in your Theme's Widget page.

Hope that helps.

6. John1

John1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The first thing I noticed was the theme you are using. Although dark themes may seem good on the eyes, I would be talking on behalf of many users on saying that getting a lighter theme would increase the amount of time users spend on your blog. The Google Ads you have do not blend well with the theme, the blug colour you have on theme doesn't go with the dark background.

I would suggest getting a lighter theme and the Google Ads will seem to blend in better when you put them back to the normal colour, white. With any blog spam is a major problem, I would suggest getting an image verification added to the comment box to decrease the spam comments you may be getting or may get in the future.

7. ronalde.barron

ronalde.barron
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As you have added blog section in your website, you just start writing content related to your website and business. Try to learn about SEO concept it will help you generating traffic and get you money.

8. Azertyle

Azertyle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I see you went down the road of wordpress. I think it was a good choice as you can constantly add articles as opposed to a static squeeze page. And this articles will help your seo

9. dyngo

dyngo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Definitly choose a wordpress theme , it would be the best solution for you.

10. sunoy14

sunoy14
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I cannot see your signature link.

I would suggest you to go with wordpress. If your site grows, you might need a lot of other functionalities from your website. Wordpress has plenty of free plugins to do that. And also plenty of free themes to create beautiful websites.

You might not earn much from your list accumulated by your optin page at first. Especially if you are a beginner. Your list might take some time to develop trust with you. And unless your free offer for the optin is very attractive and you are marketing very actively with great strategies, I doubt you will gain a high number of people in your list quickly.

If you already have experience, it won't take much time to develop a list with some good number of people.

It depends on your experience, product, marketing, your conversion skills, etc :)

11. Grey Brother

Grey Brother
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think wordpress theme is best for you.