Need a creative way to pick up bags...

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by mlou, Mar 26, 2013.

1. mlou

mlou
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey all,

I'm in the process of starting a pick-up and delivery wash and fold laundry service for the college students at my local university. My business model is as follows:
    1. We issue bags to clients
    2. They fill the bags with dirty clothes
    3. We follow our lined out route and pick up clothes in the bag
    4. Wash them and fold, put them back in bag
    5. Bring them back to them

Now the trouble I'm having is with the pick up and drop off. I'm trying to think of a way they can leave their bags outside, so they won't have to be there waiting on me, without them getting stolen. Then I can drop them off in the same fashion, without them getting stolen.

I've thought of issuing some sort of lock with the bags, but the strings on the bag could easily be cut off.

Any ideas?

2. BlueCoyMarketing

BlueCoyMarketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure that there is a way to be able to drop them off without them being there as leaving the clothes outside will surely get stolen. You could always see if the university would let you place some sort of one-way drop box where the students drop their bag of clothes in it and you just come and take all of the bags at once. Or if you want to go big or go home, you can have a laundry truck. They drop off their laundry on their way to class and pick it up on their way back to their dorms. What do you think?

• Like Like x 2
  3. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are more chances of getting things stolen. Like as BlueCoy said, you can make a drop box at a particular place where the bags are secured. May be you can put something like locker or put steel wires around that drop box zone.

4. hiltontian

hiltontian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"one-way drop box " is really a good idea, you can set a drop box to every one or two buildings.

5. Webcs-Peter

Webcs-Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"one-way drop box" is a sound idea.

6. RaySaj2

RaySaj2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

there a few companies who do this cater for this...(bybox.com being one) who work with companies like tesco and ocado for home delivery.....there are secure boxes which can be utilised at any given moment....and can be left at one address....so sharing between a group of 6 flats is an idea where you can provide a number of tags for each individual user....

• Like Like x 1
  7. mlou

mlou
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was also thinking something along those lines. I was thinking like those good will dumpsters. A huge red dumpster looking thing that you can put stuff in but you can't get anything out. I wouldn't know where to get one of these though.

Another thing, how do I go about approaching the school about using their campus for something like this? I'm not sure how they would react.

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You could do one thing ....plan out a schedule that is comfortable to you for pick up and drop....

Prepare four such time table with check in boxes.....

Ask the the client to check in the box why he feels comfortable for both pick up and drop....

In this way you can meet your needs, time both meet out....

To Add to your comfortable level give your client choices of only those slots which are suitable to you...