Native ads: when ads gets into your content.

Discussion in 'Content Marketing' started by CashAware, Sep 4, 2015.

1. CashAware

CashAware
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You see when some search engines put ads at the beginning of the search results, without separating them, just indicating they're an ad with a little chip? This is what's called native ads. It is ads that is not really separated from content in order to not bring direct rejection from end users. What are the benefits, the cons? Let's take a look.

Firstly, almost all native ads is not blocked. It requires either special blocking knowledge or people doesn't take time to block ads that looks so merged with the content. Also, given it is blended with the content, it doesn't give an higher priority over the content, or a lesser one. This means that your ad should be quiet enough and not too much distracting from the content. But it also means that ad is also your content and people can feel angry about this kind of merge. They somehow prefer when it is separate.

I can't tell you much about the costs, but this approach is getting popular, what do you think?

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have seen an increasing number of native ads, which is what I think Taboola ads (and similar formats) are. They blends smoothly with the content of a website as far as I can see.

However, from a user standpoint, they tend to be misleading and, while certainly make you click on them to go after the information they promise, in the long run can make you feel disappointed and upset because many times these are recycled.

I mean, you can see a headline saying "The best selfies done" associated to an image, and the next week you can see a headline saying "Best selfies ever" with a different image, but leading to the same article you have read before.

From a webmaster this has to be productive in terms of income because more and more people are adding this type of ads, but the use (and abuse) of this format can make the opportunity to make money out of them wears out soon.

3. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wonder if these ads are also similar to what I see every time I make a search for whatever keyword I type. I noticed that the next time I make another search, these will just show up even on other sites that I visit. Say I was looking for a single serve coffee maker on google, when I visit social network sites an ad will appear anywhere on the page showing the results that I had on my search for a coffee maker. Is there something I can do about that?