Nameing a business...?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Bammbulance, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Bammbulance

Bammbulance
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

I have recently decided to become an self-employed gardener, small business around my town. Grass/hedge cutting ect.

Im tall and friendly, so naturally i'd like to name my business "The Big Friendly Gardener".

What laws apply to me in a small town business for nameing? If theres another of the same name in the UK am I not allowed?
    Its just going to be small, ill probably get all my work from flyers and word of mouth, so i'd not be creating a web site and probably not advertising. Just a simple gardener.

Also, obviously The BFG is also taken as a film, I assume thats not an issue?

And... I may have taken the image of the BFG from the DVD case, I have altered it drastically to simply use a similar font to the film for BFG (logo).
    Was that a bad idea? I want some assosiation/a conection in peoples minds to the film to be honest, should bring a smile so some people, and I think as long as a image is altered its ok to use and not copyrighted?

Any advice would be great, thankyou.

2. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I think you have a great idea about your Business Name, It is really cool and customers will really love it, Good Luck to you Business dude.

3. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This can be tricky, the key to picking a good name is to make it as unique and as catchy as possible.

4. TomWbl

TomWbl
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Although you don't think you will be creating a website at the moment you may in the future, for that reason I would consider naming it something you can get a web address for.

5. wateyme

wateyme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For naming your business is always depends on you and your what name you like. "The Big Friendly Gardener" is also a good name for gardening business..

6. MartinLedley

MartinLedley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The advice about using a name as a URL is good, in case you get a website. A catchy name is the best, something that people will remember easily, but you could use 'The Big Friendly Gardener' as a tag line rather than the main business name if you decide to have a website.

7. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your first choice of business name is good. Since it will going to be just a small business for you, I think naming your business the way you want is not a big deal. On the other hand, I have certain business name suggestions for you, which - I hope you would like: :D

1. Business Garden
    2. Clean Garden
    3. Big Dude's Greener Garden
    4. Reduce, Reuse, Re-Garden.

About the logo, I think you should make your own. Not sure but even when you altered the copy, you still took the original and replaced it - which may be called piracy (though not sure)

Regards,
    Alex

8. AshleyWhiteBusin

AshleyWhiteBusin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't forget to register your business names guys :)

9. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you think it is an idea name? Personally I not really like the name, as "The Big Friendly Gardener" does not sound like brand name. Secondly competitor may register Big Friendly Gardener or Good Friendly Gardener to confuse client.

10. Bammbulance

Bammbulance
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the replies and info guys, I think I shall stick with the name, I really dont need to worry about websites and competitors as its simply a self-employed business, I wont be hiring anyone and itll never grow massive, one man can only do so much work, and most of my business should come from 'word of mouth' so having a website ect wont be needed.

I will work on the logo a bit, it does not really resemble to original image anymore its simple, its all about the font, anyway.

Although I also like the tag line, name it Callum's Gardening and then just have next to it 'The big friendly gardener', that could also work well.

11. Navida

Navida
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Band, the brand name should be different from competitors as it will confuse the others. it is better to choose the name from Alexander's post.

12. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good decision. When you want to establish your business, you have to know yourself too, and the risk of entering into business. It seems that you will be having a good one for your self-employed business. Goodluck . :)

13. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In fact the customers want the name to reflect what they think you are, today. You, as an entrepreneur/ leader, want the name to be 'future proof'.

14. akandcoindia

akandcoindia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Call it "The Big Green Thumb"

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think it would be a big problem. But if you want to be sure, you could check out a lawyer or council on that problem.

What image is this?
    Best thing is not to copy it, rather, just use it to get an idea for your future logo.

16. amac

amac
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Name it after yourself. The most successful business I know of in "gardening" is John Deere. (universally known by both the Deere name and also their famous yellow and green color palette)

17. kimipatel

kimipatel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well.... The name should like every one understand in just one line... n every one remember for long time.. In any kind of business. It will all dependence on Name... Name will make Business. People connect with this name... "The Big Friendly Gardener" will work.......

18. Bammbulance

Bammbulance
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah that is a much simpler solution, changing it to big friendly gardener, dropping 'The', sorry guys im stuck with gardener :D Bust thanks for the name ideas.

As to the image, its along the lines of

View attachment 1246

This into....

View attachment 1247

This

Blatently bad plagarism? OR acceptable changes? HeHe!!

Edit: And I can remove the 'The' from the image too making it even further apart.

19. askpreeti

askpreeti
    uix_expand uix_collapse

can u think name out of window? think about Catchy Business Names, because The Name of Your Business is the First Impression People will have about your Business. It's Not Just a Name, It Represents Your Business as a Whole, It Creates The Identity and the Image of Your Business, so Each name developed by Frozen Lemons features
    a description explaining our thoughts behind the name and why the name suits your company.