Name change?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by PayJunction, Jan 7, 2011.

1. PayJunction

PayJunction
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a client who is considering changing the name of his business to sound more professional. The name he currently using is Gibson landscaping and lawn maintenance. The name He wants to change it to is Golden Isles Landscaping and Lawn manicures. At the same time though he also said or lawn pedicures since you walk on a lawn. Hearing lawn pedicures is kinda funny and makes you wanna laugh. If you saw a sign for this company would you think they were not professional because the name made you laugh or would you be more likely to remember the name and call them when you might need their services?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

PayJunction a lot would depend on where the business is located and who the target customers are. For example if your client is operating the business in an exclusive neighbourhood and his customers are wealthy individuals from that area, he may want to trade under a different name than if his target customers were in working class areas. When considering the name for a business it is very important to consider it from the point of view of your target market.

I actually like the sound of the "Golden Isles Landscaping and Lawn manicures" name. "Manicures" suggests that the business is very precise, detailed, caring and professional. It gives me the impression that the business would do a good job on my lawn and that they are trustworthy.

3. PayJunction

PayJunction
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a good point Feral.

4. PayJunction

PayJunction
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oops I meant Fergal

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

PayJunction has your friend made any decision on the business name yet?

6. Morgan

Morgan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes, business name can get clients' attention. In advertising, this is what we call the consumer's "recall".

7. leeann

leeann
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it is not very good to change names without a hitch