My website

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by kriedk, Sep 25, 2009.

1. kriedk

kriedk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have started a website, dealing with hospitalization. The reason for this is that firstly they say you should talk about something you know and although I dabble in a lot of things I am not really knowledgeable in them. But I do know quite a bit about hospitals. I have had great fun building this website, it is still a work in progress. I would welcome all advise and comments on my site. Here is the web address: http://survivehospitalisation.yolasite.com/
    Thanks

2. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As a website that is not promoting anything (i.e. not trying to sell me something) I think it is clean and tidy. Looks like you have made a good start with the information. Adding a links page and getting some links to other useful sites (hospitals, online medical sites etc) would build up the experience for your target audience. Maybe even getting into more detail such as what the routine procedure is prior an operation, giving birth etc. etc.

I know when my wife was in hospital for the birth of my first child I had a struggle to understand all the terminology and what all the equipment was, and I know many other fathers / husbands have no idea - so this could be a good add-on at a later date.

Best of luck with it - I see so many website just trying the hard sell that its great that there are still people who just want to put information on the web.

Just a few of my quick thoughts.
    Sean

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I really like the first impression the site design gives. It is very warm and soothing, which is obviously very compatible with the subject matter involved.

Sites are generally a lot more successful when they are on their own domain names, rather than on sub domains. You might consider registering your own domain for it.

Your site does not deal with hospital acquired infections and diseases, e.g. MRSA. These are a hot topic in Ireland at the minute and any conversation about a stay in hospital here will invariably discuss them. A section on these diseases might help make your site more relevant and comprehensive, for your visitors.

Have you considered the SEO on your site? Putting different title tags on each page would be a good start, just ensure that the title tag you use is relevant to the page content.

4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, your website is good and i like it. However, it seems quite new and therefore waiting to see more post made by you in future.

5. kriedk

kriedk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Firstly thank you to everyone for your advice and support. I have taken your advice Fergal and got my own domain name. I have also added a simple section on MRSA, which I will be expanding as I get time. I have also signed up for somethings with google webmaster. If nothing else comes from this I am having a great time building it.
    Thanks again. New domain address is www.survivehospitalisation.com.

6. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Glad to hear you are enjoying it, when building a site purely for information, this should be the first aim. Enjoy doing it and you will over time add more and more content to it.

7. lotn7

lotn7
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice to see you here, so I am no longer alone from New Zealand...
    This is great! You should be prepared to answer many questions from the public. One friend started a website on awareness of cancer a few months ago,her website is receiving a lot of traffic, people who want to learn more on how to cope with cancer. Just a word of caution,find out from Nursing council of New Zealand if it is okay for you to publish health information without registering with them..
    I'am in Wellington, so we can connect and help you some how...

Have a great day tomorrow morning

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's fantastic kriedk, congratulations and well done. I'm delighted to see your site taking shape and developing already. Did you design it yourself?

Feel free to start promoting your site by adding it to your signature here on Business Advice Forum. Plus you can also plug it in our Member Ads & Marketplace forum.

9. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice looking website, Angelique. I've got a few suggestions for you:

1. Monetize your website by placing a couple of Adsense ads on it. You won't get rich with Adsense revenue but the extra money can be invested in a second website, then in a third, then in a fourth. When you notice it you'll have several websites that can earn you an extra income every month.

2. Drive traffic to your website by: a) submitting it to social bookmarking sites; b) writing a few articles on the topic and submitting them to article directories like ezinearticles, goarticles, etc.

10. lotn7

lotn7
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In addition,start getting free traffic by blogging ,traffic exchange and participating in forums like warriors.

11. kriedk

kriedk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You guys are great. Thanks for the advice will do what you suggest, this weekend, Have a great day.