My updates and improvements to our site

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by nbshopper, Jun 12, 2009.

1. nbshopper

nbshopper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Please feel free to ignore if you feel I'm wittering on about this, but I've just made a few improvements to our site which I thought I'd share.

1. You don't have to be a member first now to create a pick list. You can just click the new postit note on the front page and be taken to a page where you can immediately start creating your list of stuff. Hopefully this will make it easier and quicker for people to make lists.

2. I've tidied up the create list page and put in some helpful pointers, explaining what the various list types are for.

3. When you've created your list you now get a helpful graphic (I hope) which tells you what to do next and how to add items to your list.

My aim is that these changes make the site flow work better and the user experience more comfortable and easier to understand. To that end I've also written loads of FAQs and developed a very cool FAQ lookup system. :) Which I'm particularly proud of as it searches for things as you type.

There are various other tweaks and improvements too, including an automatic email to all members every 30 days telling them their account balance and how much money they've made from their lists and from their own cashback shopping. If you become a member or create a list you'll get one too!

Thanks,
    Tom

#1 nbshopper, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the update Tom, that all sounds great . Anything that makes your site more user-friendly and easier for your visitors to participate, will obviously help it to grow.

The FAQ's application is really cool, well done with that. Is it developed with Ajax?

3. Superbs

Superbs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Excellent site you have there, it's been some time since i found a site which looks and works the professional way! yes fergal i assume it's been made with ajax.

4. nbshopper

nbshopper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah it's a pretty basic use of AJAX with full text indexes on the database table holding the faqs, so that it brings up sensible matches as people type. I wonder how well it'll work if it starts getting any real use as it hammers the database quite a lot, but for now it's pretty sweet.

Thanks for the comments.