My Story, my vision

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Merk_sfi, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Merk_sfi

Merk_sfi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My Story, My Vision

"What are you serious?" I asked the doctor on that September day back in the year 2000, I had just spent the last two weeks in hospital stuck laying flat on my back, a neck brace on, my weeping mother beside me.

The doctor had just informed me that I had dislocated my neck, my C1 on C2 vertabrae, and outlined that it could be months before I would be able to walk again. This a devestating blow for someone who grew up where his life surrounded sport.

I ate sport, breathed sport, dreamed sport, and most importantly played sport - sport was my life.

I had been shoulder barged in a late tackle while playing rugby league for my school.

What was I to do, my dream of representing my country in the sport I loved was over - despite the hours of training a day, the special sporting camps I went to, the sacrafices I had made.

Despite the devastating news I was determined, and two weeks later I walked out of hospital - still in the neck brace but there wasn't much more I could take of laying in that hospital bed.

I returned to school, the looks, the talking behind my back, the pointing. I finished the school year, received my certificate and I was finally done with it.

For the next number of months I was still in pain, neck sore, back sore and struggling to do lives easiest tasks.

What was I going to do now school was over and done with? I didn't think I could cope studying however that is when I came up with the best idea -- study through a corrospondance course.

So I registered and six months later earned my Certified Internet Webmaster certificate (a qualification they have here in Australia to legally charge the big bucks) and for a while I started my own work from home web design business, all was going well but didn't find it as challenging or satisfying.

So after about a year of designing websites I turned my focus towards something else, once again through corrospondance I enrolled to do my Diploma in Journalism - majoring in sports writing and match reporting - something right down my ally considering my love for sport.

Twelve months later when the course was finally finished and I was sitting with a fancy Diploma in it's case on my shelf I started to think to myself how I could use it to it's best.

And that is when it came, I could use both of my skills in one and I started planning, designing and slowly creating my sports website - Sports Force.

After six months of trial and error, planning and scrapping it all to start from scratch I was ready to approach potential sponsors.

And this is the part that you should really pay attention to.

Before I opened my website I contacted a large number of companies, outlined my plan, my vision and before I knew it I had approximately $6 000 worth of cash and prizes invested into my new sports website.

I finally launched my site, members were flocking to the website and were all enjoying it. I was receiving media releases from over 500 sporting organisations, associations, public relation firms and teams from across the globe, thus helping our website prosper and move to the next level.

After four years of the website continuing to grow, and more members joining and gaining media accreditation to more international and domestic events I then opted to extend my website.

We have since added a further two websites to our overall site - both of which topics I am interested in.

The vision is to move our site from favouring australian sport to global sport, while also looking at purchasing further websites, databases to extend our network offering members the best possible network we can.

The morale of this story: Never give up, no matter how hard life seems you have to put everything behind you and move on. Focus on your community and make sure it's a topic you are passionate about.

Your site is never too big or too small - you just need to focus and stay committed.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That really is an excellent story, thanks for sharing it with us Merk_sfi. Your story is a fantastic example of how hope, optimism and persistence can overcome the greatest of obstacles and lead you to success. Very well done with all that you have achieved and I look forward to seeing you continue to succeed in the future.

By the way have a look at this link and send me a PM with the details requested if you would be interested in your site being made our site of the day.

3. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Merk_sfi, thanks for sharing your story. Very inspiring and a great example of courage. It's true, never give up!

4. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for sharing your story mark! Not only a great one, but a highly inspirational one to me. It goes to show, you put your time in, stay focused, and continually believe in yourself with what your doing it will pay off in the end.

I'm extremely happy to hear you're having such great success with your sports sites. I hope that you continually prosper from them in the future, which I'm sure you will since I can see your passion with it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Merk_sfi

Merk_sfi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you to all,
    It hasn't been easy however the whole purpose of the story was to never give up. If you are passionate about something then go for it - stick with it and you will be fine.

6. Alexishost

Alexishost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like the moral of your story.Merk_sfi,

7. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes that's a really good story you have, what an outcome.