My site is no7 on Google how do I bring it up to #1 ?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by simplyjo, Aug 11, 2010.

1. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I have a site build around a popular keyword.

It has a .org extension and is #7 on Google page 1.

I am not getting any traffic to it, so need to pull it up to #1 to get some.

#2 slot is taken by someone who has the same keyword (but.com domain).

What do I do to beat the competition and jump to #1 slot ?

Jo

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Jo, the main thing you need to do is to build links to your site, using the keyword as the anchor text. You should also try to update the content on the site regularly and keep the content relevant to your keyword.

The title tag of your webpages is very important and you should ensure that your keyword is in the title tag of the page concerned.

Would you mind sharing the domain with us, so that we can give you more specific advice?

3. seso

seso
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you should start with your onpage optimization then build allot of backlinks to your different pages as (landing pages)according to the content quality

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Building backlinks and updating your site regularly can boost your site up in the rankings.
    You can also do some SEO on your site. However, it could take some time to effect as for my experience.

Can you share us your domain and keyword so that we can give you more specific suggestions?
    May we know how competitive your keyword is?
    And what steps have you done or doing to get it into #7 or Google Search?

5. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have to analyse why there are 6 sites above you. Is it because of backlinks? Is it their content? Is it their age? When you find out these factors, you can then apply them to your site to gain that #1 spot.

6. SM4BIZ

SM4BIZ
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Jo,

It's all about content and promoting your site online and offline. Even though a website may have a good first-page ranking based on specific keyword(s), direct traffic from this is based off keyword popularity.

Without knowing your business segment or the keywords associated with your site, some other suggestions would be to promote your website through other means such as message boards, directory listings (i.e. Google and Yahoo), in-store, Facebook Pages, etc.

If your business is local or national based, you can also experiment with PPC programs such as Google AdWords...there's a tool that estimates keyword search traffic from past history.

Hope this helps.

7. ACE Janitorial

ACE Janitorial
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good thread

Thanks for the replies. I too am trying to get to a high spot on page one. I finally am showing up on page one for many searches so I must be doing some things correctly. My only problem is that I don't always understand all the jargon. Please make it simple for us non-techies. Thanks again.

Stephen Snider-ACE Janitorial

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you come across any terms like that here on Business Advice Forum, please be sure to let us know. We'd be happy to explain them.

9. malkyb

malkyb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It may be that if you are #7 on Google there may not be any use in spending a lot of time & money on trying to get higher.
    Generally being on the first page of Google for many keywords will bring traffic unless it is very specific and one that peopel generally don't search.
    You may have chosen a dead-end keyword to target unfortunately. You can download a trial of market samuri which will give you an insight into the traffic associated with your keyword in question and suggest better keywords to target if there is no value in your chosen keyword.

10. xanderlangley

xanderlangley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Quality back links can surely help you in achieving the position.If its does not work then you should seriously consider making on page changes.

11. White80

White80
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I hear social bookmarking sites such as digg.com and reddit.com can help.

I hope this helps,

Best,

Joe

12. mike123

mike123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think social bookmarking, dofollow article and directory submission will help you.

Thanks

13. pixelbob

pixelbob
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try search engine submission and link to similar website. Try linking to those site that occupies #2 and #1.

14. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

While these should be done in parallel, if they are being done in order then making the on page changes is far easier and faster than gaining high quality back links and should be prioritised of the two.

It only takes a short time to make your on page changes, as you're in total control. Gaining 'high quality' backlinks takes a lot of time (both to get them and for the benefits to filter through - links are weighted over time and the profile of your backlinks is taken into account [e.g. if you get all your backlinks in a single day, the SE's smell it as being fishy]). Do a little reading on SEO and you'll be able to get the on page stuff sorted in a matter of hours. Then spend the weeks and months ahead working on improving the off page SEO as and when you can.

Ehhh? He's already indexed in the SE's, so 'submission' wouldn't help. If you mean submitting a xml site map to ensure as many pages as possible get indexed? Sure. That might help.

While there's no problem linking out to authoritative relevant (non competitive) sites that provide benefit for the users, but the last thing they want to do is send targeted traffic to a direct competitor (while also giving the competitor a backlink to improve their rankings). It comes down to what the site is related to (e.g. if it's not a competitor who might 'steal' a customer it's not as relevant), but in general that's something you want to avoid doing and risk losing your traffic to the competition.