My Old Boss is Copying Me

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Maria, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Maria

Maria
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So I created a website in the same field as my previous employer.

I wen't public on linkedin hoping my contacts would help send business new my way. Now however, i feel i have made a mistake as they can copy all my ideas & being big, do them on a much larger scale. They have alreday taken many on my ideas.

Many people told me to take 'action' and 'go public' but you really have to think these things through. Don't think there is much I can do now about it unless anyone has any ideas? Anyway it's worth thinking about before going public.

Maria.

2. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd say you consult a lawyer about this.

3. Peter Birganza

Peter Birganza
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    If you feel that you may ignore it than it is good. They will not be able to run it more and the project will automatically close. But if you want to do something against them than you can also do it. Contact with your legal adviser and put a case on them. They will have to pay you for this cheat and it`s legal for you. but for it, you need any witness or proof to show in court. If you have not any legal adviser than you may contact with any consulting firm like "wholesalepages.co.uk" and "businessadvice.com". They will tell you the best solution of it.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Maria, thanks for joining and posting your business questions. It can be very difficult to protect ideas and to stop others from using them. By way of example Google wasn't the first search engine and FaceBook wasn't the first social networking site - both of these companies built and improved on ideas that were already in the marketplace.

Often the best approach is to get on with your own business and make it the best it can be, without worrying too much about others copying your ideas. In fact, you could look at the fact that they are copying your ideas as a sign that you are doing something right and are leading the field rather than following it.

Is it possible for you to give us a little more info on what they are actually copying from you?

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This. I mean, just ignore them. Anything posted or available in the internet will always be copied in one way or another.
    Just make sure you can do better than them.

If they copied our original idea, just James said, consult a lawyer on what you can do to them. Or if they copied your site, you can send them a DCMA.

6. HorizonPath.net

HorizonPath.net
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well said Fergal!

Maria,

What is your intention with this website? What drives you personally? Does it provide proprietary information? My perspective on this may not be very popular with many people. So take it as simply my humble opinion. But I believe we have to move away from business competition and towards business cooperation. There are more needs than solutions in the world, so there should be enough for all to be prosperous if on the right path. If someone is copying your work, consider an opportunity to work with them for the better good of those who need what you are offering. If you don't want to work together, then just strive to do a better job than those who offer what you do. If you have information that is proprietary, then disperse it after you have established an open channel with clients. As Fergal said, ideas are hard to protect. In fact, I say they are meant to be expressed and shared. If you are an original thinker, an idea creator, then keep your inspiration on this and express your ideas to the world. Your method, or business, for doing this can be fine tuned to your prosperity. We attract what we give. If your website carries your inspiration and intention to provide a valuable service to others, then trust in that and don't focus on your former boss. Work hard and don't think they are bigger or better than you! You create your own outcome.

With that said, and without knowing more of your specific situation, I know sometimes we have legal responsibilities as well. And you may have legitimate need to protect your assets. But to me this is a last resort or path I personally try to avoid.

I would love to hear what your ideas are about! Would you like to share your intentions here?

• Like Like x 1
  7. umairaraza100

umairaraza100
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well you should do a lawyer for the solve of this matter