My new Web 2.0 Design

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by hcted, Oct 18, 2010.

1. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

http://chatbam.com/2.0/

Suggestions please? It is not live yet, which is why none of the pages work.

That is the homepage. I plan on keeping it simple, and providing indepth info on the other pages.

The -More link on the right is going to be a rounded button soon.

But yeah, please give ideas of what content to add/remove and general opinions! Thanks!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I like the design hcted, it is clear and professional. Personally I feel that it is more suited to your needs than the current Chat Bam design. One comment I would make is that the main body text is very large, perhaps use a smaller font, to differentiate it from the heading and the bullet point. Using a smaller font should also make it easier and more comfortable to read.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good design hcted.
    The graphics are looking good, especially the web 2.0 text. Are you planning to include a logo on it? A thing that best describes or represents your site?
    The only thing that bothers me is the text. Using a smaller font size will make it better.

Anyways, do you have any plans on putting something on the empty space below?

4. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a good beginning for your site.

Waiting to see it with more content

5. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for the comments. :)

@GekiDan - I am still designing the footer and below. It looks good on paper, then when you start designing, it becomes a challenge. I hope to include at least one more block of information, unless it doesn't fit in.

And by logo, do you mean some sort of icon or image to represent our site? As of right now we just have the Site Name as you can see.

I will also look into the font size. I now see it is too large and will fix it :)

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you really do need something to fill in that empty space below that GekiDan asked about, hcted. If you leave it as is, it's going to look unfinished. I like the colors and the header. Even if it's just a graphic you use rather than text it would be better than an empty spot. Got a few testimonials you could add under there maybe? A couple of nice quotes would work.

And I would suggest you change the text to say "personal website for you", not yourself. It will flow better. :) I'll second the text size change as well. In fact I think I'm thirding it. :)

For additional content I would make the items on your "Experts in..." list all clickable. Chances are if they need you to build it they have no clue what some or all of those things are. It doesn't need to be long, just a simple paragraph for each. I for example have been online and had sites for years. I don't know what elgg stands for though, so you being an expert in it means nothing to me. And if it means nothing to me, then you can't impress me when I have no frame of reference. See where I'm coming from? :)

#6 Kay, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  7. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When the pages are created, each software expertise will be clickable, it will lead to our services page, and I will add javascript at the end so instead of looking through the list, it will automatically bring you to the desired software :)

Also, if everyone could have a look again at the site, I have changed font sizes and added testimonials (you do not know how hard that was, one space in the css screwed it all up). I could not figure out how to add space between the testimonial boxes, it took up the better half of my time of figuring it out, if someone can help, please look at the source, would appreciate it :)

Any other comments/suggestions for the home page? (footer to come)

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I like the new design with the smaller font size much better hcted. The testimonials look great and they are well placed. They might look better if you left a little space between each white bubble - i.e. separate them with some of the grey background.

By the way, "I appreciate you're patience" should be "I appreciate your patience".

The site could also do with a little more colour and design. It does look very professional, but as you are promoting your own design services, I feel that it should showcase that design a little more and be less minimalist / plain. Have you had a look at competitors sites to get some ideas and inspiration?

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes. I think it will look much better if you have that. Just my opinion though.:)

10. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dont really have much more to add then say I like the simplistic design so far. When you land on your site, you will know what you are getting straight away which is good. Colour is also eye pleasing. So far so good.

11. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For a developer, getting to play with the JS like that is probably great but in terms of the users (and the SE's) I'm not so sure.

If you created unique pages for each area of expertise, you have far more ability to target the page to specific terms (and achieve better rankings). It gives you the ability to provide the user with far more relevant information on each area (always a good thing, for users and SEO) and the ability to provide more information on your expertise/experience/previous projects/etc.. By giving them more information on the technology and on your ability to make it work for them, it should help in conversions (along with helping the user experience and the SEO of the site).

I think Fergal pretty much nailed it...
    As it stands, the design is a good base to build on, but it's lacking that 'WOW' factor to make it stand out. I love minimalist designs, but in this case it gives the feeling that there's 'something missing'.

12. Rubs

Rubs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My 2 cents:

Your logo has this thin white border around the black letters, which looks like a graphics artifact. I would remove that and make the letter borders more crisp (less aliased).

Are you trying to use a glossy effect there (for the logo letters)? If yes, try adding more gradients.

Try doing your layout against some grid, so that your padding/white-spaces are the same or at least they are 2x or 3x some standard padding. For example your margins for the texts are different in all white boxes. Also, the top white boxes look a bit too close to the top header.

I can also suggest trying to get rid of all the serif fonts (Times) - both for top menu and for headers. Try Verdana/Arial instead.

Your three bottom blocks are stuck together. Is that what you've intended? I guess they should be separated.

I guess that's it. I'm using Chrome.

Try putting your URL to Feedback Roulette, you'll get more useful opinions about your design.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok, I see that you already add a few boxes on the lower half of your site.
    The "Management and Design" part needs more padding since the texts are way too near on the edge of the box. While in the "Experts in" box seems too wide for the texts included in it. It has lots of white spaces in it that could be used in some other things.
    And on the "Testimonials" part, I think there's more things needed to be done here...

14. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Did you design a mock up before coding? A mock up tends to help with the overall design, as you won't go off track when coding. Is the current design how you envisioned it?

I think there are a few flaws in your design. The obvious one is the div spacing. The containers seem to be placed there, without any formal structure. I don't understand the large gap between "Management and Design" and "Experts in", and then the gap between Testimonials and the above container. Continuing on, the Testimonials are outside of the white box, whereas the other two titles are within, so there is a lack of consistency on that part.

I don't think the round containers work well with a straight header. The round corners don't add to appeal, so I'm not sure, from a designer's perspective, where they come from.

Font wise, for headings does need some careful consideration. I can't suggest a font, but I think you'll know when you've found a font that works. The best fonts are the simplest.

The logo isn't bad, nor is it good. It doesn't work with the background color. In design, you tend to stick to a color palette, hence the necessity of a mock up to see how everything fits. The light blue and dark blue seem to come out from nowhere, when most of the design is whites and the header blue.

I think there is a long way to go before this can be officially used. Try looking at other sites and see what they do. Don't consider this as copying, rather experiencing what the big sites do to get people buying.

15. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the feedback. Have had a lot on my plate these past few days, but I hope to roll out fixes tomorrow!

16. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How does this look now? http://chatbam.com/2.0

I took out the 3rd bubble because to add space it would need to be what they call the "holy grail". I spent well over 8 hours this entire week with those bubbles trying to space them out and no dice, so I gave up and took one out.

I have fixed client misspellings, padding issues, font sizes, and the footer as well as the description.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Looks better, I would bring the two testimonial buttons a little closer together so that they don't extend beyond the larger content bubble above them. As mentioned before I feel that as a design site, it needs a little more sophistication.

18. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It looks alot better than before.
    In addition to what Fergal said, the copyright texts is too high and too near to the testimonials bubble.

19. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Easy fix, will hit that tonight :) Also, that is just design content for now. I will have more to add soon.

20. weltonhau

weltonhau
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can see some white outlines on the header. Looks like it's not cropped properly. Makes it look a little unprofessional. But otherwise, great design