My New Site (Not Open)

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by hcted, Jul 13, 2010.

1. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey,

Can someone here check out http://alltruefacts.net/v2 and tell me generally what they think of it? It is wayyyyy far from being done. I want to develop in on the right track.

I have it layed out so on the left, there is the random fact box, on the right, there is about us, and on the bottom, it is the size of both of the left and right containers, so it may be ads, or newest facts, something like that.

Thanks!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Honestly, I think you have a lot of work to do on the site before it is ready for launch. Most of the page is taken up with the solid green background, which makes it look very amateurish. The site needs a bit of design or the addition of some graphics to break up the monotony. The text goes very close to the border, it would probably help to add a little padding.

Something else that would make it appear more professional would be the inclusion of a navigation bar or navigation buttons, rather than the simple internal links you currently use.

Why do you need a link for "Fact Categories"? Would you not simply list the categories in the right hand column, similar to how most blogs list categories?

3. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is what I was thinking (Last part: Categories). This is a really rough design and is basicly what was on paper. I am still working a lot out, and since it is a personal site, it comes after the clients so I haven't had much free time to work on it.

I will fix all of those little errors and look into some new colors for it.

4. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok, well I designed a new look in Illustrator. I will be coding this soon, feedback on it? some things are not even in it and random text was filled in to make it look whole. Not great in Illustrator yet :p

(Attached to this post as JPG)

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's an improvement on the previous version, the navigation bar does a lot for it. One thing that might help would be adding a different colour than white to the background of the header.

6. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Was thinking of tweaking with that a bit, I will work with it and see what I can come up with and place it in the v2 directory on the site.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The new improved version with the nav bar and categories is much better. The original shade of green was much too vibrant for my tastes. It looks from the jpg as if you've toned that down a bit which is good. Instead of the white I'd try a very pale lemon bg in the header.

8. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The "Home, Fact Categories and Submit A Fact" reminds me too much of Google Ads, so I felt inclined in not clicking those links. To be fair, it's quite a basic design and the dominant feature is the green background, where the dominant feature should be the fact. I would place a CSS background for the fact, maybe in a quote bubble and probably have another color to ease off the green.

9. Tejmal

Tejmal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you should have a button saying 'Random Fact' and every time it is clicked, it displays a random fact. That would be much more interesting to look at than having facts in bullet points.

10. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

New facts are found by refreshing the page. I'm not sure where you see "bullet points".

11. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was about to say that too :S.

Good idea about the fact, add it is a speech bubble div, great idea! This is why I ask for suggestions before I code it :D I will work on the new concept ASAP!