My new business - I need ideas!

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by business2014, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. business2014

business2014
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Since 16 I’ve always wanted to work online and someday have my own business. I started working online aged 16 part-time and fulltime at around age 20. Over the years I’ve slowly managed to learn a variety of new things about the online SEO industry and how sites work. I did also want to learn scripting, however, this hasn’t happened yet.

My real issue is what should my business be about, and how do I get it off the ground? Obviously I want it to be an online-only business. I also want it to be something I know quite a lot about. But what should it be?

Later last year I decided to take things up a notch and register a business name and created a LTD company. I then got a back account and still awaiting the ability to get a debit card – which is when I will begin using the business.
    I’ve slowly managed to gather a portfolio of websites which are great outlets to use for SEO. I’ve also learned how to setup websites fast, how to research quality domains that expired which are fantastic for seo, etc.

My skills seem to be in project management – getting things sorted, and perhaps ideas. So, if someone needs a website, I go and outsource everything from the logo, content, template, etc and also know how to market it effectively if required.
    Advertising is something I’ve never really done or had any success with – and this is an area I should probably explore, however, I don’t have much of a budget to risk. I have around £6,000 saved up along with the website assets.
    My idea is to perhaps setup and agency which offers SEO services – but how will I get customers? There are plenty of avenues I could go down… but not sure… really looking for advice on this one.

Thanks

2. vithura

vithura
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can get customer through Social media. But it won't happen within a night. You need to follow them for few days, regular chating, etc..

3. marklee

marklee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello all nice idea shared by you, I also get a blog post link after search on related topic here is the link of that post fatbitwebexperts.wordpress.com/2013/12/06/top-10-new-online-business-ideas-2014-from-beginner-to-a-big-deal/ shares some great business ideas for Beginner.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Please don't take this personally, but I don't think setting up an agency offering SEO services is a good idea unless you have years of successful experience or can hire reputable people who do. There are too many people out there trying to pass themselves off as SEO "experts", when they actually know very little about how to currently perform the necessary tasks. Also, setting up any kind of agency and then outsourcing everything could wind up making you look bad, giving you a bad reputation, unless you are upfront about how the business is actually run. One thing you might be able to do, if you have sufficient knowledge to do so, is be a consultant. As a consultant, you actually would tell the client what needs to be done, and you could legitimately recommend someone else to do the work. Of course, you would have to have a certain level of knowledge to know what to recommend, and the people you recommend to do the work would have to be reputable as well.

5. business2014

business2014
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for all responses. Given me things to think about.

I also wanted to ask if you think it's sensible to have more than one LTD company? I've just regged another LTD company for my apps - I think it makes sense to seperate them? Im wondering about a third LTD company to put all my gaming sites under? What do you think?

6. socallimos

socallimos
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Contribute your ideas, comments on social and business community forums, groups and related blogs. By this way you will get a great ideas for marketing your business.

7. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You know my mentor once said, you should do what you're good at first, master it and then, and ONLY then, try to expand. I think, given the vast amount of information you provided, you may fair very well as some sort of consultant that consults with various business and entrepreneurs to advance their online business presence. Your SEO idea is overdone, I think, and choosing the path of consultant may be a good option. However, it is your ultimate choice.

8. business2014

business2014
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for latest replies. All useful! :)

Consultancy is something I never really thought of, but I'm thinking about it now.

9. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need to promote your business first of all.Promotion can be anyting like on social media as well as among the people who are in your contacts.Go throught the people and ask them that what they need as a customer and then go through the same .

10. shrikantsoftwin

shrikantsoftwin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, Working & earning online is trend nowadays and there are many stuffs out there which you can do. Try out some affiliate advertising, social media promotion, get some relevent jobs from freelancer, do blog posting, do advertising, and so on.

The only thing you should picked the right one according to your ability and resources, and work on it wisely. Nothing will happen overnight. you need to give some time.

11. Henry.Mofluid

Henry.Mofluid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should to develope mobile app for your business.Social media also play a greate role in business promotion so you should promote your business on facebook,twitter,myspace etc. as well as possible

12. janecristy

janecristy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can get customers if you meet them in person. You start it from your local niche and then run a website and send emails to new customers. In the beginning you have to do marketing for your services starting with economic services. When you get your market in local area then you take project from rest of the world.

13. theropes101

theropes101
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Always think of the ways that can help you to magnetize customers, such as logging in to the most visited social media and there endorse your business by posting informative and most appealing posts that can get the attention of your customer. That's it.

14. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Business 2014
    I must admit you are quite a go-getter and congratulations with that! Most people are so afraid of loosing that they never try, and I get the impression that you are really trying different options. I have a few ideas for you. The one is you seem to be going in different directions not really sure which one to take. That is ok because you have to try different things before you'll really know what you want and what you don't. But it would be great if you could spend a very small part of your "development money" on attaining knowledge that could help you make better choices, and find out what your 5 primary passions in life are so that you can know which direction to take when you get the opportunity to take decisions. Go to thepassiotest.com. You can take the online quiz and then they will send you links to a few free videos that will also give you exercises that bring a lot of clarity. Then even if you don't fully enroll you will have a few great exercises to do whivh will help you a lot in narrowing down what exactly you should focus your attention on. Where attention goes, energy flows... :)Especially in the first stages of a business's life starting out must be from nothing (out of thin air!) also called the rainmaker skill and all money made needs to be plowed back into the business to obtain max growth. As you grow in your knowledge of Business you will discover how extremely important it is to know how to do good sales copy and marketing. (Almost like SEO for a website so is good marketing for business :) ! Already spending time online has you beautifully aligned to easily absorb this knowledge! And a piece of advice is if you decide to consult other businesses, rather talk about improving the marketing when you talk about SEO, because the average businessman knows about business and vaguely understands how to use his website to bring him feet to the business, he doesn't understand SEO. But if you can make the link that it will improve his marketing he may understand the value of contracting you better. Remember, when you go out there in the hope of delivering a service that people will pay for, you need to translate the value you offer in the terms of what he will understand, how it will improve his business life! You can also join rainmakerskill.com where you can learn more about the early stages of business growth. Enjoy the first part which is also free. Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted.

#14 Changed Creation, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
  15. Polycarp

Polycarp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I had a similar issue several years ago. What helped me was speaking to someone at the Small Business Development Center. They are an organization that operates by grants from the SBA. If you are in the US you can go speak with them and they will be more than happy to help you come up with an idea and even put it together. I would post a link to the website but as I am new I am unable to. The website can easily be found with a simple google search

16. JohnSteve

JohnSteve
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To Succeed in your Business Life ..... First important thing to market your business level for better results .
    I also have a Business of Professional Photography in Australia and i always contact Lush digital to get better results in Business market .

17. lets-build

lets-build
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you were an expert in SEO then you wouldn't be asking how to promote your business online, however taking the consultant route or a service which offers website setup sounds like a better idea for you.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Zwillson

Zwillson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First, you need to join the forum, groups, blogs and other conference group about business, because by exchanging tips from the others you can get some tips or ideas that can make your business succeed. Or by doing marketing using social media.

19. JohnSteve

JohnSteve
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is an amazing company for video production in Perth,WA but they use to work on very professional basis although they have offices worldwide and provide services o across the borders and continents but their criteria and professional manner is quite according to standards of video production business.

#19 JohnSteve, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.