My Marathon Goal

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

last year, I started training to run a marathon. Unfortunately I got injured and was unable to maintain the training programme and complete a marathon. This year, my joints are still not strong enough to go out running and my goal is to walk a marathon.

I'm walking four days a week and am disciplined in following a training programme. If I'm to complete my goal, I need to improve my diet so that my body remains fit and strong enough to complete the training and the marathon itself. Another area where I need to improve is in following a good stretching regime.

My joints, especially my knees, still get sore at times and they don't feel great during long walks. So I hope that they hold out and I can complete the marathon.

Please wish me luck!

2. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, it is a very great & infact gutsy goal..my Wishes are with you.. I am also an athlete & have won several prizes in the same till my matriculation level, though have not taken it professionally... An advice for you is that while you drink water, drink it in a sitting position , not in standing position..This advice though seems to be very sluggish in nature but believe results are wonderful...It will be good for your knees & joints..!!!:)

3. flashgordonweb

flashgordonweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What a great goal. Stick with it and make it happen! I've run one once and it was sure worth all of the effort. Best of luck!!!!

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for your kind support Flash and Scifi, and well done to you both on your athletic achievements. I've a long way to go before I'm at your level and I will keep you updated on my progress. Posting here will also help to keep me motivated.

I've never heard of that before Scifi but will certainly give it a try. Do you know why it works?

5. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well Fergal, Even I don't know why it works but the reason it will work is that it is a special Tip given to me by my Granny when I have started running....:)..It has benefited me a lot..see if it can do some wonders with u too!!!!

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not very athletic myself so I envy you guys who are very athletic! Anyway, my hubby also once run a full marathon but he had to take medical leave for 3 days after that because he could barely walk. He said that he only had 4 months of training before the marathon and mentioned that he should have trained a few more months leading to the race. I think that running experts advise to train at least 8 or 9 months before the actual race.

Anyway, I'm not discouraging you Fergal but if you haven't fully recovered, I'd suggest that a full marathon might be too much for you. While walking or running, the constant strain on the knees and ankles by the repeated hitting or pounding of our shoes with the pavement will accumulate. That's what my hubby said.

This is also the first time I heard of this Scifi. Is this for the marathon itself or for the training leading up to the race?

#6 Nazreen, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Nazreen, I'm taking it relatively easy at the minute. If the training gets too much for me, I'll cut back on training and complete a marathon at some stage in the future. However, my objective is to do it this year, if I can at all.

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Usually, they also include 10K and half-marathon together with the full marathon Fergal. If you think you can't do the whole 42K then you can either choose the shorter races. I think that I read somewhere that it's not all about finishing the marathon, it's finishing it while smiling and not in a grimace. I think it's something like that.

9. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a part of keeping your body fit & taking care of your joints, more specifically kness....I had been a athletic myself though I have never run a marathon but won prizes in 100m, 200m, 400m, - short races including long jump & high jump too...It will also prevent & take care of any potential knee injury that might creep in due to excessive training.. :)

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Nazreen, I'll try to remember that for when I'm crossing the finish line :)

11. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow, a very inspiring goal indeed.
    Keep it up. I mentally support you!!

12. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I agree with you Shawn. It's a very inspiring goal indeed. Running the marathon is one of the most challenging things in this world. It's not just a physical challenge but also a mental one. When you're nearing the 10-15 Km mark, there would already be people stopping and giving up and then your mind plays tricks on you. Wouldn't it be nice to just stop, to just give up? And after that, each step would be harder when you see runners giving up. Anyway, that's what my hubby said of his experience in running the marathon. The only reason why he finished the race was because of the many spectators cheering him on after the 30Km mark. :)

He also said that it's the only race where you can say that you ran with the elite marathoners. In the 100m and other sprints, you can never run with the elites unless you're an elite athlete yourself. :)

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Just to clarify, I plan on walking a marathon this year. Hopefully I build myself up to a level where I can run one in say two years.

I'm still walking and sticking to my schedule. One of the most important things I need do now is book an appointment with a good physiotherapist.

14. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great Fergal, your commitment is amazing ..but it would be great if you could share with us the source of your motivation & your reason behind running a marathon....What is that zeal that have motivated you to run a marathon all of a sudden!!!!

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My Dad ran a couple of marathons a number of years' ago and I always had it in the back of my mind that I would like to do one.

I did a 100KM cycle through the Wicklow Mountains in Ireland, a couple of year's ago. A marathon seemed like the next thing to do. Deciding to do a marathon wasn't something I gave a lot of thought and cinsideration to, to be honest. But now that I've told people I want to do one, I'm very reluctant to give up.

16. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there

During my military service some years ago, I did a "walk" of 30 KMs, we had to carry a 10 kilograms backpack as well. I did it in 4hours-something. The next 2 days I couldn't walk, because I had very few training before.

I'd like to do a marathon later this year in 5 hours. Sounds like we could write some marathon-training-advice threads for inspiration here.

17. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

fergal ..practice practice and practice u will reach ur goal one or other day
    as ur athletic from before it wont be a big problem and getting injured is always there but overcoming it very much important

by the way best of luck for ur "Marathon Goal"

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for your support realitybites.in.

Well done Hurbel2K (and welcome back), that was quite an achievement.

Sounds like an idea, please post your advice and updates and hopefully we can learn from each other.

My schedule for this week was to do the following walks - 4 miles (done Tue), 3 miles (done Wed), 4 miles (done Thur) and 6 miles to be done tomorrow, Sat.

Next week the schedule is 4 miles (Tue), 3 miles (Wed), 4 miles (Thur) and 6 miles (on Sat).

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I haven't updated this thread in quite some time, but I'm still training and doing a lot more miles than I was, in my previous post. My longest walk so far was 20 miles and I've one more 20 mile walk, on my training schedule.

A recent holiday that included too much rest, junk food and a little too much alcohol has upset my training and it's difficult to get back into the swing of things. However, now that I've booked my place in a marathon at the end of this month I'm focusing on my training again.

20. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good job Fergal! The act of registering yourself in the marathon will really keep you motivated because now, you already have an immediate goal in sight. Wouldn't it have been better if you registered earlier? :)

Anyway, keep up the good work on your training.