My keywords decline in ranking

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by apexis, Jun 1, 2012.

1. apexis

apexis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My keywords decline in ranking
    Many main keywords which have good ranks have dropped, and the
    traffic decreased a lot. Recently, I did some changes with my website, and changed the placement of some pages.
    Do you have some suggestions about this problem? How long will the rank restore?

2. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Aren't you aware of the Google Penguin Update? If not, then you should know about it as it tells something about targeting your keywords and re-optimizing your website.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Penguin

3. elina

elina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Seven reasons for decline in the Ranking

Your Site Is No Longer New

The search engines especially Google give a special treatment to new sites. For a certain period of time, when your site is relatively new, you will find it enjoying high search engine rankings. The site’s search engine ranking may then decline without proper SEO strategy.
    Your Site Wasn’t Able to Prove Its Worth

The new sites get a special privilege of having high rankings but can also be placed in the sandbox after failure to prove its worth. It is much like a punishment. Luckily, SEO techniques can now help you get up again.
    Your Site May Have a Broken Link

Links are very important in SEO and broken links are a big problem. You can check your site’s link manually or you can look for a plug-in that regularly checks and detects broken links.
    Your Site’s Content Can Be Found Somewhere Else

Having your site’s content published in another site can be a serious problem. The search engines hate duplicated contents. It can also be a problem even if the content is found in two of your site’s pages.
    You Have Server Problems

Whether it is your or your host’s fault, server issues can cause your site’s search engine ranking to decline. They can prevent search engines from accessing your site and they usually opt to decrease the ranking when they cannot verify the site’s worthiness.
    Your Site Has a Malware

It is best to keep your site clean. A malware in even just one page of your site will cause its search engine ranking and traffic to decline. Google can detect malware and can warn visitors even before they reach your site. The warning is a great discouragement for visitors to continue so expect your traffic from search engines to drop.
    The Algorithms Changed

The search engines regularly update and change their algorithms. It is a great way to ensure that the users will get the most relevant search result. Three things can happen when algorithms change. First, your site may increase its ranking. Second, your site may get a decrease in its ranking. Third, the sites linking to your site may get an increase or decrease in search engine ranking affecting your site’s ranking.

If you are looking for ecommerce solutions that take your retail business to the next level; you need NicheSuite! With NicheSuite, your business can perform a host of functions. It comes with end-to-end integration. You can reach out to a global market, plus you can simplify your inventory!

Try Nichesuite

4. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Basically it is because of the Penguin Update. Most of the focus of the update is because of the keyword richness of your link. If it is not diversify by brand, url or keyword it is likely to be hit.

5. C.Rebecca

C.Rebecca
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You see, it’s normal for webmasters to experience temporary lows in rankings whenever they introduce some change in their webpages...Such fluctuations are totally normal and affect webmasters according to the changes introduced.

Make sure you aren’t indulged in any kind of webspam or link trading...Google is going really hard on webmasteres employing illegitimate techniques to rank high...here’s Googler matt Cutts helping you with more possible reasons for ranking drop:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gx04qNrCbnk

• Like Like x 2
  6. tinamarten

tinamarten
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you get good advice it is generally best just to say "thanks".... and sometimes abrasive advice is a little more motivating - at least that is the effect that it has on me.:)

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Both of these posts make good points. Your drop in ranking could be because of the Penguin update, but it could also be what is sometimes called "collateral damage". For instance, if a house gets destroyed in a hurricane, and some of the debris falls on a car - the car wasn't in the path of the hurricane, but was damaged from debris from something that was.
    On the other hand, C.Rebecca brings up a good point. It's normal for rankings to temporarily drop, simply because conditions are changing literally from day to day. It's not healthy to obsess about rankings, as long as you are doing what you should, the way you should. As long as you are using techniques that do not violate the search engines policies, and your rankings remain high over the long term, you'll be fine. Of course, it won't hurt to take a god look after a major update, just to make sure.

8. jakson0100

jakson0100
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have the same problemin my hosting site http://vpswebserver.com, Since around 24th of april my rankings for some keywords dropped signifficantly. Might this be because of the famous google updates? They seem to ruin everyone's business lately... including mine! if anyone knows onpage seo please tell me where i have error in my onpage

Thanks in advance.

9. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

jakson:

I had a preliminary analysis done on your site, and you scored a 59% out of a possible 100%. Some of the errors found were keyword stuffing (probably due to the tags at the bottom of the page), a broken link, reciprocal links, duplicate content (about 75%), about 3/4 of your images are missing ALT text, and links from a Bad Neighborhood.
    I also noticed that the phrases you are ranking well for have very low search volume, which is probably why you were able to rank for them. If you want to be highly ranked for competitive phrases,your site needs a lot of work. At this point, you're talking about trying to get a twenty-year old car ready for a Nascar race when it's not even road-worthy yet. Make sure you have the basic steps right, then you can worry about updates - if you have to.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Apoorv82

Apoorv82
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Latest google penguin update might be the reason for this.You should ignore poor seo technique like sharing your link on sites that have no PR.

11. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Are you replying to jakson0100's post? As you can see in my post, there are several problems with his site that would keep it from getting ranked for competitive phrases even if the penguin update did not exist - or the panda update either. I'm also not sure what you mean by "ignore poor seo techniques". Did you mean that they should be used regardless of their effect on the website's ranking, or that they should not be used? It is not clear based on the wording of your post.

12. Apoorv82

Apoorv82
    uix_expand uix_collapse

joeroxx i think you haven't read my post carefully because i already mention the meaning of poor seo technique i.e.you should ignore submitting your site link to a site that is having no PR/poor alexa rank.So i hope that now you got mu point.

13. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Jakson0100 aked the question because of problems with his website. Are you saying that if he has submitted his site to a site with no PR, or used other poor SEO techniques, he should ignore it, and leave it the way it is? Not good advice. On the other hand, if you are instructing him not to use poor SEO techniques, that advice should have been given before the problem started.

14. Apoorv82

Apoorv82
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually joeroxx i dont know who is jakson0100 and i am here to help apexix.He didn't ask me before this posting about his problems ok.And it is my opinion only that it can be a reason and it is you who is taking it in a negative way because i think you are not smart but over-smart.So if you get my point then you are welcome otherwise you are over-smart.

15. yourokcproperty

yourokcproperty
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

The search engines especially Google give a special treatment to new sites. For a certain period of time, when your site is relatively new, you will find it enjoying high search engine rankings. The site’s search engine ranking may then decline without proper SEO strategy.
    Your Site Wasn’t Able to Prove Its Worth

16. rises5544

rises5544
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are few reasons. first of all it may happen if you stop link building. other is that your competitor is giving more back links to his keywords to compete you. link building is only way to beat him up.

17. cellington

cellington
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I hate to splash water on this, but the PR of a site that links to you has very little to do with your ranking, and zero negative effect. If you get linked to from a High PR site, that's good for you. Getting linked to by a PR0 site is not bad for you. If it is, I'm going to send out 1,000,000 emails that say the following:
    Dear Webmaster: At this time next Thursday, I will begin pointing 40,000 links at your site from my large stable of PR0 sites. If you don't wish this to occur, please send $10 through PayPal to ....

A link from a PR0 site can't hurt you, and neither can a link from a site that has been declared a "Bad Neighborhood" by Google. Those sites simply can't help you - and if they WERE helping pre-Panda/Penguin, they've STOPPED helping now. Without that help, sites drop to where they belonged in the first place. Again, if that's the case, check your email for notes from everyone who just received a warning from Google or had their sites deindexed. They could be targeting you unless you pay them off. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind, there are only a few PR10 sites on the web (Google, Facebook, Twitter) and the vast majority of websites on the net today are PR0.

Links from new, small, unknown, PR0 sites that are relevant, interesting, and not committing any sort of spam/fraud are a great way for a small business to gain a foothold in their niche. Those links help in two ways: 1) while a PR0 site doesn't deliver as much link juice as a link from a PR10 site might, it's still a valid "vote", assuming the relevancy path remains intact. Google takes that into consideration when evaluating your site's value. 2) any visitors that come to that PR0 site (and you have to assume the site owner is working to build traffic) are being given a simple path - probably with your keywords or a call to action - to come directly to your site. Is there any other way you could capitalize on someone else's marketing efforts - not to mention their dollars!

Remember - in 1995 Google was an idea in the head of some college kids. Where was twitter in 2002? Every site starts out at PR0, and you can't know what'll happen in the future.

On the other hand, if you're perfect at predicting the future, let's chat about some upcoming professional sporting events ;)

• Like Like x 1
    #17 cellington, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012