My goals this month!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by chica, Oct 11, 2008.

1. chica

chica
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My goals for this month include:

-buying my domain that I need
    -setting up the blog
    -getting at least 3 advertisers
    -getting those advertisers to pay $10 a month to be showcased on my blog.
    -putting ads that make at least $20 a month.
    -flipping one domain

sound resonable?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing your goals with us Chica and good luck with them.

Your revenue goals may be a little ambitious for a new blog on a brand new domain name. Personally I'd concentrate on building the blog, putting quality content on it and attracting visitors, before trying to earn revenue from it.

You could still set specific goals for your blog, such as how many unique posts you will publish in the first month and how many unique visitors you will get. Once you have some traffic you could then begin to concentrate on building revenue.

How do you plan on selling your ad space, will you offer it on the large webmaster forums as well as on the blog itself?

What topics will your blog cover, obviously it is fine if you'd prefer not say at this time?

3. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The ad space price does seem a bit high. Flipping a site, without PR and with little traffic, won't bring in much money. Good luck to you chica.

4. chica

chica
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the support. I have two blogs right now. One has a PR of 3 so I am going to boost ads on that one or switch it to a magazine type site. Then the other one I am trying to put content into while ironing out some bugs.

I will probably offer discounts to forum members at various forums to help bring in more advertisers.

I did get the domain. I need to start planning the layout, marketing, etc... So I think I might have my hands full for the next couple months...

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Chica, ads on PR3 blog sites can fetch good prices, so good luck with that.

Can you please explain what you mean when you say that you will "switch it to a magazine type site"?

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, I'd imagine chica's referring to the news portal style templates for blogs and CMS's like Joomla. If you want to see what one looks like, this is one of my sites. It's aimed at writers and just about five months old:

http://www.cuckleburr.com/

One of the joys of WP is being able to just install it on your domain and change themes wherever you feel like it.

Chica, you didn't mention which blogging system you're using but since it's likely to be WordPress, I'd like to share a little advice if I may. Don't be tempted to buy a "premium" theme of them until you've really looked around - there's plenty of high quality free WordPress ones that have premium qualities in the design but not the price tag that usually goes along with it. (The one I just showed you didn't cost me a penny.)

This is my all time favorite link for free magazine style WordPress themes. I'm always looking for new WP or Joomla themes either to change one of my own site's look or for clients and have a million bookmarks to prove it! :D So let me know what you're thinking of if you want and I'll keep my eyes peeled.

http://www.wpzoom.com/wordpress-the...rdpress-themes-with-magazine-or-grid-layouts/

One note of caution: you do need to learn a bit more in the admin end with most of these kinds of themes because of extras like custom fields, etc, but they're worth it in my opinion. Just not quite so easy if you're new to them or WordPress. Anyway, just holler if you get one and get stuck. I'll help you best I can. :)

WordPress has come a very long way in a few short years and is far closer to a CMS than it's ever been. As the guys say though, content is king.

#6 Kay, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  7. chica

chica
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you so much Kay! Yes I was referring to the themes of magazines. =D I guess I am late in hearing about the girl from whatever life supporting herself off her magazine type site.

I am using Wordpress and I love it. I remember back when I started getting into the internet world and using cutenews. lol That got hacked and spammed so much.

Thank you for that link. I am actually going to use the arthemia layout. I have it installed and partially customized. I have just started getting some writers. Thank you for all the help. =D Are you a web designer or programmer? I am just asking. =D

8. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

With Joomla you can install several themes and let the user select which they prefer. I think there is a pulgin for WP that does the same.

I like using, and making my own themes for, Joomla myself.

9. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Getting ads is really difficult People are not willing to pay $5 dollars for PR2 blog of mine!! I gave them a 125x125!! The economic slowdown has really made things difficult. $10 for a new blog is really really hard. I get 225 UV's perday for my GFX site and I charge $12 per ad!! So get your prices right before you quote them in the end you will never find one!!

I must admit DP has made life very hard for everone

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the explanation Kay.

Why do you say that, does it not provide a good market for selling your ad space?

11. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The problem, it seems to me, is that, like Ebay, the supply has severely diminished the value of the products. My sister has a collection of Hammel's, which are going for 1/3, or less, value than what is par, on Ebay. This destroys the value of items.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Pendelton.

Chica, how do you plan on selling your advertising space?

Will you offer it on webmaster forums?

13. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're very welcome chica! :D Nope, I don't claim to be a programmer nor web designer. I like working with websites and am familiar enough with WP and Joomla having used them both for a number of years that I can help others. :) My husband's the techie one of us, he installs the systems and templates while I help clients get off to a good start once it's all installed with content etc and finding their feet within the admin panel. :)

I've not used arthemia myself before but I like that a lot. Nice and clean looking. As I say, if you need a hand just PM me and I'll do my best to help. I've used different magazine style ones and each has its quirks. :)

14. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that's one thing that lets Wordpress down compared to Joomla, pendleton. The plugins aren't nearly as easy to install as Joomla components and modules.

I used to love the template chooser in Joomla because you could upload something in a snap from the admin panel and see if it would look good or not with your content.

I'm impressed you design them, got any you want to show off perchance? As I think I mentioned, I'm a sucker for nice themes for both. If you need any free stock photo links, I have a few somewhere. :D

15. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I noted one here, check the bottom of the post.

Nothing truly custom as far as Joomla themes go. I have a couple projects I am working on that will have them. When I get them posted I'll post the URLs here.

16. chica

chica
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you Kay again. =D Arthemia is amazingly very easy to use. I was personally shocked. I did edit it a bit, but it looks the same. I bases itself off categories which is nice because I can just move posts from section to section.

I am planning on selling ads for $3 a month. 6-8 ad slots, or a revolving one. I love those. Any way, that should be ok for that site.

The other blog I am just selling, as I have bought two other sites. Two web design company sites. So... I will start on those. =D

I did have to write some new goals for November... Here it goes:

-Finish the ezine and get started on the the next 10 articles.
    -Get 6-8 advertisers.
    -Finish the web design site's layouts as well as getting buying ad space.
    -Give Thanks...

Yeah... Last one because of thanksgiving... I guess that is an American thing. hehe jk

17. Swastik

Swastik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd dito that. I see lot of people trying to monetize a website from scratch.

Well, the ads don't justify the space they take, neither do they bring in any substantial revenue. I'd place ads & think about revenue when I've got a solid reader base.

Other goals of your seem quite reasonable. If you ever need tips on flipping a website, do shoot me a PM. Here are some blogs on flipping (sites/ domains).

http://www.suitej.com
    http://www.siteflipu.com

I'm planning to start my own site on the topic soon. :D

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I can vouch for Swastik's knowledge of site flipping, having watched a couple of his very successful auctions.

A quote from Site Flip U
    Their theories must work, you couldn't make this stuff up :)