My goals for August 2008

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by pankaj, Jul 29, 2008.

1. pankaj

pankaj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As my host's server was damaged destroying my data of 6nd.net , everything of 6nd.net was lost.

I started http://www.6nd.net with the same theme and now relaunched it.
    I hope to get 30 active members of my forum with atleast 3000 posts including nearly 300 topics.

Is my goal too high or too low or its okay ?

Also tips are welcomed to help me complete my goal.

2. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The number look a little strange, check Business Advice Forum's numbers of today:
    Threads: 518, Posts: 4,642, Members: 3,746, Active Members: 817

In this case we even have more members than Threads, which is quite natural for most forums. Only few active poster open threads. Most members post once in a while some are lurkers.

Expect a Member to Thread ratio of 5 : 1 up to 1 : 5 on typical boards
    However a Thread to Post ratio of 1 : 10 is very common.

I heard weekly backups can be helpful once in a while ;)

3. pankaj

pankaj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I have 30 members (active), I think they can easily open 10 threads per month. And make 290 posts per month.

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Before your data was destroyed, how many posts per day does your members make in a day in your forum? I think that you should base your goals on that statistic.

By the way, didn't you have any backup of your data? I believe that most servers backup their data in a regular basis. What precautionary measures have you setup so that this thing won't happen again?

5. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is a difference between what can be done and what is natural. You want to have Your forum as natural as it can be to attract more new people.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing your goal with us.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost all your data, it can be very disheartening when something like that happens, so I'm glad that you are not letting it stop you and that you are prepared to start again. Ask your current host if they do daily / weekly back ups. If they don't you might consider moving to one that does.

What plans have you in place to promote your forum?

Remember that forum growth is exponential, in other words the larger it gets the faster it grows. So even if you don't reach your goals for August you will have helped lay a valuable foundation for future growth.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

7. pankaj

pankaj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What does it gets larger ?

I do had asked joomjump, but they do not backup. The precaution taken by me is that I am myself making personal backups frequently on my PC.

I currently do not have any plans. I tried to hold some contests, nobody was interested.

I have seen one forum by my friend which was started a week ago, it got 650+ posts by now. I am jealous to see that.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why not contact your friend and ask them how they managed to achieve that growth?

I meant that the larger your forum gets the quicker it will grow. A new forum finds it difficult to attract new members, because they are not attracted to a small forum. As your forum gets more and more posts and members it will become more attractive to new members and they will be more likely to join. Hence the larger your forum is the quicker it will grow.

Have you considered submitting your forum to free directories?

9. pankaj

pankaj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh, I had forgotten that. I will start submitting from today in fact now itself. And about asking my friend, I don't think he will tell that because if he tells me than I will get more people on my forum and not his. Anyways, I will try asking him.

Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Does your friend's forum compete directly with yours?

If not, you could both comfortably share knowledge and perhaps even do a link exchange.

11. pankaj

pankaj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What I think is that if I make a link exchange with any webmaster forum, members will leave my community and go to others because mine is smaller now.

He has a vB forum and I have SMF. I also think that people are interested in their forum because its a premium one.

What do you think about this ?

12. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What are the advantages and perks of premium members in their forum Pankaj?

By the way, I just checked your forum 6nd.net and it seems that it's down again. I think it would be better if you host your site in a webhosting site which has a higher uptime. Members and visitors alike will not patronize sites which goes down frequently.

13. pankaj

pankaj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I myself is very upset from the continuous downtime which the host is giving from nearly a week or so. Earlier I saw that it had 100% uptime. I will wait for more few days. If it continues, I will switch to hostgator, they are good I think.

I don't know whether they offer premium membership. I think you are talking about webphorum.com . Please give me a link to the page where they are offering that.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I prefer forums that run on VB, probably mainly because that's what I'm used to and familiar with.

If you haven't got the funds to purchase VB and are running on SMF you can still be successful. The most important factor behind your success is that the community is helpful to members. Don't get hung up on the forum software that you are using. Concentrate on replying to every post in as helpful a way as possible. The members and posts will eventually come, especially if you take some actions to promote it.

15. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes I don't know what to say.... then I look up and hope someday they will give out free brains at the local supermarket.

regarding issue one:
    If people want to go from a small forum to a big one, why are there still people on THIS forum?

regarding issue two:
    My blog uses the same design since it's start. It's written by me (some unknown guy) based on a free template. It ha s no flashyness at all, still my reader number increases all the time. How comes?

Flashyness can improve You position. However if You shit on the floor, and You decorate it with gold, put a diamond on the top, it is still smelling ugly shit.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You have a new member that you might recognise.

A couple of observations. You have no quick reply facility as default, does SMF provide this, it makes it easier and quicker for your members to post?

When I reply to a post, I'm brought back to the thread list, i.e. not back to the thread so that I can view my post. This might actually be a good and helpful idea, but it is not what I'm used to from other forums.

I found it difficult to add a link in my sig, because I'm not completely familiar with BB Code.

Overall joining your forum was easy and user-friendly, the design is fine and there are some interesting threads. Keep working at it, don't panic or do anything to antagonise your members and you will get there.

17. pankaj

pankaj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First of all, I am glad that you are a member of my forum. Thanks for it.

SMF has quick reply option. You may see this thread for details.
    http://6nd.net/so_hard_to_reply-t28.0.html

You might have noticed QUICK LINKS at the menu on top. From there one can easily make settings according to his needs. He may set the thing about which you are talking about if he wants. There are a lot of options available to choose from.

I agree with you that its difficult to edit the signature because it need BB code. I will search for a mod if possible and if not, I will make a thread regarding all these matters like quick reply, some BB codes for signature use, etc.

I always reply on each and every thread and in fact after every post. As my forum is new, I can do that easily also in a helping way as you said.

#17 pankaj, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that Pankaj. I've posted my feedback on 6nd.net.

19. pankaj

pankaj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We took care of your feedback and I made the logo linked with homepage.

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Looks like your forum has lost some data, have you had some further problems?