My goals, and some difficulties about them

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by VVhite_Angel, Sep 25, 2010.

1. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi people,

First of all, forgive some mistakes, i'm french, i've leaned english some years but it's not perfect :) I will try to be understandable as best as possible.

I'm entrepreneur (well i've began having project) since 2 years. I've tryed to always have goals planed on a calendar. This works ... about 70% :) of course it's not perfect, sometimes there thing to do who are not done ...

For example there is one thing i have to do yesterday i havent completed. And today was others things so no time to complete it. Maybe i should put more "free times" (which are not attributed to something precisely) but this isnt a "planned goal" and sometimes it happens to wonder "what should i do now ?" when a "free time" happens.

I got a lot of motivation but sometimes .. let me down, maybe it's another subject ...

But most of time i'm happy to complete most of my objectives, but maybe it's normal to not reach 100% efficiency ?

If you have some advice to do maximum thing in the less time, it should be great !

2. Azertyle

Azertyle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So what are your goals?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum VVhite_Angel, nice to meet you here. Lots of people are just like you and find themselves missing some of their daily targets and disrupting their planned schedule.

What works best for me is starting off slowly. When beginning a project I will make my daily goals very achievable and realistic. This ensures that I complete at least one action every day and the approach is designed for success - in other words the daily action targets are small enough to ensure that I can achieve them every day, without falling behind. I really make a determined effort to complete those daily tasks and when I'm really committed I will not go to bed until that particular day's task is complete. As time goes on I become more ambitious with the daily targets and try to get more done every day. This has worked well for my motivation and for my effectiveness. Do you feel it is an approach that could work for you?

This may sound a little contradictory, but try not to worry about targets that you have missed in the past. The past is gone and there is nothing we can do about it. All we can do in this regard, is set new targets for today and the future, then commit ourselves to reaching those targets.

Good luck with everything and please feel free to share any specific goals you have in our Your Goals section.

[I've moved this thread to the Personal Success & Effectiveness section. Please feel free to post specific goals in our "Your Goals" section]

4. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to the forum VVhite Angel.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome aboard, VVhite_Angel! Your English is excellent, don't worry about that at all. :)

I am the same way as you. I get so easily distracted by the web my day just vanishes sometimes. I don't having more "free time" planned will help. What you need is more structured time. The more free time I have, the more easily I procrastinate. There are lots of time trackers online that can help you. I use e.ggtimer.com a lot because it makes me much more aware of how much time has passed.

And it's normally not reach 100% efficiency, yes. You'd need to be a robot to manage that every day. Some days we have more energy and/or a better attitude than others. As has been said, anything you don't get done doesn't get done and that's it. There's no point in worrying about when the day's over.

The Personal Success and Effectiveness folder has lots more ideas in it. I also find scheduling the thing I really don't feel like tackling first makes me feel better about the whole day. When you get that out the way, it motivates you.

List your top three tasks to be done the following day on a notepad before you go to bed and you'll be off to a good start in the morning. I found that small change made a big difference. Stick with those three and do the best you can. :)

6. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your reply :)

Well i've tryed several strategies for my daily organisation. I think we all have unique "timer" inside us, i mean we all use differently the time and some method may not work for some people but for another group.

At the moment, i plan weekly my time beginning 8PM - 12PM / 1AM - 8AM.
    I got a basic list of what to do, which have :
    - Social network time morning / afternoon
    - Post-it on screen completed morning / afternoon. (I put a post it on my screen with every important thing, but this times i dont put many ... in the past i used to put 6 at the same time)
    - Publish on blogs (1 time only per day)
    - Maintenance of my website (1 per day, always good to review own website for some errors daily)
    - Customer time (1 per day, maybe not enought, but customer can be put in a post-it)
    - Organize time (1 per day, to plan or re-plan tomorrow program)
    - Commercial time (1 per day to contact directly people who will be interested in my service)

It's been 2 month i get this organisation, it's the best who have worked at the moment for me.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you work during the night and sleep during the day? Or maybe you have mixed up your AM's and PM's? 8PM is 8 o'clock in the evening.

8. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oops i think i have exchanged AM and PM significations :) its 4 hours morning and 7 afternoon.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the clarification VVhite_Angel, for a moment there I thought you were working the night shift :)

10. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I hope too :)

11. Komputergeek

Komputergeek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it is same for most of us that we planned some work on day and due to some other we have to delay it but I think we have to find some solution.

Like for me:
    I have decided "Saturday" 3 pm to 7.pm for the work that I have missed to do in whole week. I complete all those task in 4 hours.

That is what my strategy and may be wont work for others. however here I just wanted to point out that "Only we can find some alternate solution for ourselves.

12. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To arrange your plan properly, you might consider to use some tool such as microsoft project. it can actually give some help to "remind" you if the plan is slow than your plan, and also remind you the deadline etc.

13. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I keep plan on paper to have a view even i don't get computer with me (To work outside for ex.)

but that's an idea

14. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best thing I have for planning is my whiteboard. I use Backpack too but the whiteboard is a constant visual reminder of what I have to do for that day. I have it pinned right next to me in my office so I see it every time I turn even slightly in that direction. There's nothing like ticking it all off with a big marker! :D Apart from wiping it clean at the end of the week and starting afresh. I like that too. :D

You may get some more inspiration from this article on having a 4 hour workday.

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interesting article Kay, I like they way they recommend not doing more work, when you finish your work early, that's a great concept. One thing I didn't see mentioned was a recommendation that you have something exciting to do in your spare time - this is an important motivator and something that gives you the drive to get your work done in time and to reduce your working hours. Without that there really isn't much point.