My goal is to learn atleast one foreign language this year.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by harmin, Sep 18, 2008.

1. harmin

harmin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am planning to learn a new language this year. Spanish and french are on my top todo list.Can you please suggest any online resources as I already searched google but couldn't find any easy to learn site.

2. ad14n994

ad14n994
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thats great, i like your goal, that encourage me to learn again about english, i think my english is bad.i think u should have a dictionary for that two languages, and buying some books that like "french for dummies".

3. daveking

daveking
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your goal is great ! Learn Chinese I suggest, If you like I can teach you because I am a Chinese, email me ~

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Harmin, thanks for sharing your goal with us. Have you looked at Amazon.com, they have a huge array of books, dictionaries and other language learning tools.

Have you decided what language you wish to learn?

Why do you want to learn a new language, having a strong reason behind why you want to do it will act as a strong motivator?

5. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am learning german!! One simple reason the scripts od german and english are exactly similar, and german is a phonetic language easy to learn

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try the BBC Languages website harmin. It has both Spanish and French and has some videos so you can learn by hearing a native speaker talk. I got this site when I googled it. There are a lot more websites in the search results so I cannot put them all here.

The thing with online language websites is that most are just for beginners. It would be good if you get yourself a book or cd/dvd to guide you through the more advanced topic of the language you're trying to learn.

7. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

spanishpod.com

8. harmin

harmin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks everyone.There is no any strong reason.This is my hobby to learn a new language.I can speak in 6 Indian languages-Assamese,Bengali,Gujrati,Nepali,Hindi and Marathi.Now I am highly interested in foreign language.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You obviously have excellent language skills Harmin. Having travelled in India and met with lots of Indian people in England, I've always been very impressed with the number of languages many Indian people can speak.

Is Nepali an Indian language?

10. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No nepali is not indian, but anyway india is home to more than 1000 dialects. If you are in India you will be learning 3 languages minimum and the maximum depends on your skills..I know 4 languages..learning the Fifth (ie) german :)

11. jackmcmanus21

jackmcmanus21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to learn Portuguese.

12. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

harmin At first mind your second post. You should buy books and dictionary which are easy than going through website.

Nepali language is the national language of Nepal, not the stupid India. There had been controversy few months back too that India said Nepal was their land and showed that India owns Nepal in their Tv channel, which is bluddy stupidness. Don't repeat such mistakes. And I'm not offending your thread too.

13. harmin

harmin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I exactly don't know about the origin of Nepali but it speaks in India.There are so many Nepali's in India and I have a good friend who speaks pure Nepali.

14. youbetcha1018

youbetcha1018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your goal is cool. Learning another language is just like adopting anther culture. Just had a question, why would you need to learn these languages? Is it a necessity in your job? Or you would just like to visit Spain and France then use the languages? Anyway, Daveking suggested that maybe you would love to learn mandarin too. Btw Dave, I know a little of mandarin cuz I travel alot in China.:)

You can check the internet for a free tutorial for those languages that you want to learn. But you know what? I use Babelfish translation if I am communicating with my foreign people. It is useful to me.:)

15. chica

chica
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok! Um if you want to learn chinese, MIT (the college) has a program that is free that has a wonderful free chinese program that you don't need a book for. Check there for french too. You do need a book but it is like taking a free class. Check if your library has it. What is your first language? If it is a romance language (french, spanish, italian, etc...) it would be easier to learn one of those. If your first language is english try latin then learning one. It is supposed to make it easier. I can speak a little french (very) and latin is really helped(helping) me learn it.

I wish you the best of luck!

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Chica, I'v also heard that learning Latin is a great foundation for learning other languages. But is it worth the effort to learn it, considering that it is not really spoken any more? Would it not be better to spend the time learning the language that you really want to learn?

17. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I studied Latin in high school for a few years - not through choice, but because it was given to the top two classes in their year. The teacher used to go nuts about people calling it a dead language when so many are based on it. My friend went on to study Latin further and eventually worked as a translator. She said it was helpful to know and surprising how much of it hadn't changed a lot.

I hated it though. :D

I learned French though I have barely used it in decades, and studied Afrikaans and Zulu for a few years in South Africa in my youth. Couldn't get two much more useless languages when it comes to global reach though...

If I were to choose now, I think I'd be learning Chinese. My son's teaching himself Japanese online. I can ask him about it if you want details.

18. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

harmin, I was just thinking there...do you care much about whether you have a paper qualification or would you be happy just to have the knowledge at your disposal?

The reason I ask is there's The Open University. It's a well respected distance learning institution in the UK and has been around for decades. They have free courses (outwith the degrees themselves) available online which come under the name of OpenLearn. Anyone anywhere can use them and they're more informal but sound pretty comprehensive. The information is sourced from the degree course themselves it says.

http://www.open.ac.uk/openlearn/get-started/get-started-learner.php

I've had it bookmarked forever as something to go back and look at when I had time. Thanks for giving me a reason to! :D I noticed in the extensive list of their Learnspace units, one called "Finding Information in Modern Languages" which might or might not help you find resources. The Modern Language section's about half way down.

This is the list of all the Learning units offered and subjects covered:

http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/course/index.php

Hope that helps! Even don't find what you need within that Modern Languages one I mentioned there might be in amongst the other sites listed in Related Educational Resources near the bottom of the right hand column. It's a place to start anyway. :)

(Just as a general observation as well; the units can be anything from 4 to 100 hours long. The really good news is there's a Business and Management section too which draws the coursework from Introductory right up to Masters level. Who says learning's too expensive? :D)

Ok, I'm not wanting to veer off topic so will leave that there and wish you good luck in your search, harmin.

• Like Like x 1
  19. chica

chica
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Latin was technically not worth it. But, it did help me start to "rewire" my brain to work with different word order. I am still taking it, and just by being around it so much I can start to translate Italian. A bit odd but I am okay with it. hehe

Kay you are very helpful! I was actually looking for a class on law. Seeing no cc offers any law type class. I am thankful they do. So... You just saved me about 5 hours... Now I just need to figure out what do with those 5 hours. =D

If you are wanting to learn any language try Pimsleur. My parents both learned fluent german through them. It was amazing. I learned mediocre Spanish in about a month. I would defientally suggest them.

20. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good, I'm glad it was a help to you. :D I come across a lot of topics when I'm doing research for articles and often tuck anything interesting away to look at later. It's finding it again that's the hard part in amongst them all. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the Pimsleur tip, chica. I'll no doubt add that to my collection.