My Goal: For My Website to Succeed

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by PowWowPalace, Jul 16, 2009.

1. PowWowPalace

PowWowPalace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I started a forum website 2 months back and I've been doing everything I can within limits to help it succeed. I have been adding quality posts daily and also installed usefull mods. I made the site search engine friendly and did submit it to search engines, directories and also created some blogs. The site is setup with lots of forums and sub forums so it has plenty of room to grow and address a wide audience of members. I only have 37 members as of today. I'm looking on redesigning the graphics to make it more appealing. I'm offering a free business directory for members that join the forum. Please let me know what else I can do to jump start it. Thanks

This site is a forum with endless discussions, a social network for members to create profiles, have photo galleries, buddy lists, their own blogs and more. I have a business directory too. I thought this site would be unique because members would never get board and it's all in one. I have a long ways to go, but it's slowly growing after about 2 months.

Check it out at: http://www.powwowpalace.com

Thanks

#1 PowWowPalace, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Your forum looks great, congratulations on that. I've started following you on Twitter.

Your slogan - "Your Place to Do and Say Just About Anything" concerns me a little. It is very difficult to build such a general forum. It is much easier to build a forum if you have a niche in mind. Have you thought about a target niche, i.e. what type of people will join and what are they interested in?

How will they benefit from being a member of your forum?

If you can give me some info on these questions I'll provide you with more detailed feedback and suggestions.

You might consider reducing the number of forums you have. Including a lot of forums at the start results in a lot of forums having very few posts which can can make your community appear very quiet and unappealing.

3. JuicyCafe

JuicyCafe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I dont like the looking of the categories though. Its looking mess mate to be honest. The subforum is hiding in the forum itself. I suggest you make the subforum visible to the forum so that members can see what is the contents of your forum. Also it would be good if you would change the template etc to make it looking good and unique. Good luck in your forum mate.

@ Fergal, I think the forum is have a different niche and members will go to forum on whatever they like/want. for me his aim for building his forum is to have a lot of members by building some forum that people may like. Good move.

4. PowWowPalace

PowWowPalace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm looking at redesigning the look of the forum to something that stands out more. I removed the "Your Place to Do and Say Just About Anything" from the header. I will look to change the sub categories to show on the index. I also hide some of the forums that were not that popular on the main page. I tried to keep the forums to popular topics until my forum really grows.

Thanks again for the info, I will be working hard at developing my site.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When you've made some changes please post back and we will reply with more suggestions.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've just visited and posted your forum again and have a couple of more suggestions;

Have you considered including a member feedback and suggestions area? This can be a valuable way for members to contact you and give their views and opinions.

There was no "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" link that grabbed my attention. Those types of links can make it much easier for members to use and navigate round your community.

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I tend to agree with Narci. The logo of your forum looks nice but the forum categories look very messy. You can follow the example of our own Business Advice Forum as regards to the layout of forum categories and description.

As to promoting your forum, you might also want to open a competition to encourage more members to join. Posting in dofollow blogs and forums is also a very good way to promote your forum. Good luck!