My Goal : Buying the right websites at the right price and making huge profit

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Chicago, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Chicago

Chicago
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have tried making my own profitable websites, about 4 years back and failed terribly. Then I turned to domain investing. At first I was succesful, but then things took a turn for the worst (2007-2008) and I had failed miserably.

For some reason I decided to give the web world a third try and here I go. :cool:

Bought one site: The site was advertised as having high traffic, the design sucked and it could use a little ad monetizing. The seller claimed the site had thousands of visitors a month and earned $35 a month off selling text links and adsense. I decided it was a long shot but I decided on buying the site for ~8 months revenue.

The outcome: *By monetizing the ads alone, I began earning ~$70 a month through one banner ad.
    *I did a little SEO by editing the meta description and tags, the site was redesigned and is pulling tens of thousands of visitors a month. The alexa rank went from high XXX,XXX to low XXX,XXX and the reach changed 2000%+. I'm still working on the site but I guarantee it is worth 2.5x how much I paid for it, and counting. I have not met my goal of making a huge profit.

Bought a second site: The website was a proxy site using a free .co.nr domain. The main thing that interested me about the site was the conduit "free proxy toolbar" that you can download, edit and monetize. It had reached 27,000 downloads. The asking price was mid $1XX. After sensing the seller was a bit desperate, I threw a high $xx offer and to my surprise it was quickly accepted. I now have a toolbar that advertises all of my sites on it, with over 700 people online using the toolbar as I type this, I'm sure I can make a decent return.

The outcome: I've moved the site to a .com domain. It's been a week. I'll get back to you. :D

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well done Chicago, it certainly sounds as if things are starting to go in the right direction for you. I hope your success continues and wish you good luck for the future. Please keep us updated.

3. Chicago

Chicago
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Of course, Thank you for the kind words.

4. Chicago

Chicago
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Update: I have integrated adsense into the site and I have bought 2 more sites.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well done Chicago, I hope those Adsense ads are profitable for you. What niches are your new sites in?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chicago

Chicago
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They are geared towards tools such as url shorteners.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

8. Chicago

Chicago
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Already made 2x my initial investment on website #1.

Made .5 of investment on website #2

Bought 3 more sites

Developed 4 more sites

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's great news Chicago, you're doing very well, keep up the good work. I wish you continued success.