My forum

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Swastik, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Swastik

Swastik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello people,

I got a forum - http://www.sitetalkzone.com

I started it on 23rd September 2008, and it has got a good response till now. We are averaging 150 posts a day, with almost 1 day a week going past 350 posts a day. Registrations have also been good, but many of them are bots. Recently I put it on sale, and got a good bid as well, but the bidder is MIA lol. So, I thought of working on it and getting it to the next level.

I've tried many promotion techniques - like posting on other forums, sponsoring blog contests, article marketing, buying ad spots. I'll be trying PPC shortly.

I've a few general questions to ask.

1) What should I do to convert more? I mean I've got like 12,000+ uniques thus far this month. But only 200 odd people registered.

2) Anyone could explain how should I proceed with PPC promotion? I've not done that before.

:)

2. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow !! your statistics is impressive considering mine.I have 100 UV perday so 3000 per month I have only 10 converts through traffic the rest of the members are through my contact.

I would like the answers for your questions as well

lol are you sure you started on sep 2008

because your forum stats show that you started it way before that

Most users ever online was 352, 10-04-2008 at 02:56 AM.
    dancom96, Farrhad A, Swas

#2 silent_thunder, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  3. Swastik

Swastik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thats October 4th, 2008.

Yes, it was started on Sept 23/ 24.:eek:

Check out the first user who registered, i.e me - http://sitetalkzone.com/member.php?u=1

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think that they're using the International date format silent_thunder. I think they're using U.S. date format - mm-dd-yyyy. Go through some of the posts/threads in Swastics forum and you'll notice this.

Swastik, I'm not really that good about this SEO stuff but from a marketing point of view, you need to grab hold of the visitors attention the first time they visit your forum. If you're able to do this, a lot more visitors will definitely register.

5. Swastik

Swastik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks. I'm trying that with a Welcome notice on a guest visit. Have installed some modifications as well. :)

6. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

oh sorry my bad I apologise for my stupidity

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A good suggestion from Kay on offering freebies might also benefit your forum Swastik - see this post on BAF Competition Ideas.

Also, making a 3-4 word mantra like the one mentioned in the thread: A Mantra / Slogan for BAF, will also help to get and hold the attention of your visitors.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks, Nazreen. :)

Swastik, I think you've done fantastically well in such a short space of time, congrats! :D If you don't want the bots registering, enable the captcha in the admin panel if you haven't already. It won't stop them all but will cut it down. Your forum has a very attractive theme, I like it.

I've made a lengthy post with some things I've tried myself before to build my forum. You'll probably not have seen them anywhere else and they're not exactly conventional wisdom but they worked for me. I put it in a new thread to make discussion of the points easier and not to detract from your post or others looking for similar information. It's here.

Fergal may pass out because I restrained myself from going off topic LOL. :p

• Like Like x 1
    #8 Kay, Nov 23, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's a very nicely designed and attractive forum. Have you considered adding a "Plug your Site" forum. You could allow every member with say a min of ten posts to start a new thread about their own site. This will give them some publicity and a free back link. All webmasters like this and it should help convert some of your lurkers into members.

Good luck with it and please keep us updated on your progress.

10. Swastik

Swastik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh yeah, that's an awesome idea really. I could have a section dedicated to a particular usergroup and above where they can post ads for maximum exposure and etc.

Thanks mate, I'll really try that.

11. Big_0n3

Big_0n3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you tryed directory submission?