My Challenge for Nov 2009

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've set myself the challenge of getting my house fully tidied and organised, before the end of this month. This will include my home office filing system and personal files, neither of which have been pruned or cleared out in years. It will also include disposing of lots of stuff through recycling, charity shop donations and binning.

I've broken the challenge down into four main sections, one for each week, and I've given myself specific tasks to do each day of the first week.

So far so good and I'm looking forward to having a tidy and organised house by the end of the month.

2. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All The Best.....

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks magician661, I'm pretty determined to get this done. I had a late night last night, to ensure that I got all of yesterday's task complete. Today's work is pretty ambitious also, but I'm confident it will be done.

4. dahlia84

dahlia84
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good luck, Fergal! I wish I could get my room tidied up too. Every time I think of getting it done, I feel so tired and lazy! I am just wondering... how do you stay focused and determined? Any tips you can share?

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I actually really don't enjoy doing that kind of work Dahlia. What works for me is visualising how my life will be better when the job is done and probably most importantly I've broken the overall project down into lots of much smaller tasks. It's much easier to stay focused if the task at hand is to clear out one filing cabinet drawer, than to think about tidying and organising a whole office.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Unfortunately I got sidetracked yesterday and didn't get all of yesterday's tasks completed. However, it's early morning here and I've already made a good start on today's tasks.

7. dahlia84

dahlia84
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Every time I see someone planning to do their room/house and not doing it, I feel like giving a *hi-five*. Lol If there is something I miserably fail in, it definitely would be "house/room cleaning"

8. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

Good Luck with your goal, hope you complete your tasks everyday and that will really help you in cleaning your house easily.

Good Luck and All the best.

9. m0sad

m0sad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

good luck man

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Unfortunately I haven't done great over the last couple of days. I need to re-adjust my schedule so that I've less to do everyday. Putting down too many things to be done per day, was setting myself up for failure.

11. Elomelo

Elomelo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice to know that. Wish you a tidied and organised homy luck. :) Iam, too, inspired from you!

12. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good luck to you Fergal. I just cleared out my spare room a month ago and turned it into an office. It was a pain to do but there was no point in having my pc set up in a corner of a bedroom any longer. We'd finally got wireless DSL so my excuse of having phone lines trailing everywhere was gone. I was running out of space for all my ARC's too anyway plus when hubby wanted to go to bed, I was kicked out the room. Now it's all much easier.

Once it's all done, you'll enjoy having your space back and being able to lay your hands on what you want when you want. :) The move forced me to clear out all my junk and I'm glad.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well done Kay. Great to hear you've finally got broadband, it must a pleasure for you to use the Internet now.

I've revised my schedule, completed all of yesterday's tasks and already made a lot of progress on today's tasks. It's amazing how much junk and waste you can amass over the years. The amount of paper I'm sending to the re-cycle bin surprises even me and makes me wonder why I kept it in the first place. Clearing away clutter helps clear your mind so I'll be glad when it's all done.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm delighted to post back and say that I've been successful with my challenge of getting my house fully tidied and organised. There were times when I thought I was not going to be successful but through forcing myself to believe that I could do it and disciplining myself to do the required work, I got there in the end.

This would not be a major achievement for most people, but I've been quite untidy and disorganised for some time and now I have a completely tidy and organised house. This included sorting out many years of files and paperwork plus not an insubstantial amount of recycling and giving unwanted items to charity shops. All this has already made my house a much more comfortable place to live and work.

Now I need the discipline to keep it that way :)

15. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's quite easy to just let your house get in a mess when you are working most of the day or if you aren't really at home much and then it hits you.

Good luck in finding the time to do it. :p

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Keaton, I'm making an effort to keep it tidy and organised now that I have it finally sorted.