My Business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by hcted, Jun 30, 2010.

1. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Guys,
    I'd like to know how to get this business going a bit. I run a web design web site and it is kind of a side job, as I work for another web design company during the day. I have business cards, great SEO knowledge, and I keep everything professional. I have work orders to copy and send to our clients when their job is done, as well as to keep our work organized, as well as a few other official papers.

The problem is I have only gotten a couple clients per month. I just bought this domain off a guy and decided to start this. How can I up that? I do know that when starting a business expect 5 years of no income. I would just like something to up sales. As well as newsletter sign ups.

Thanks!

2. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First do you know how much traffic you get?

Is it traffic or conversions that are the problem?

Being a web design company you might want to upgrade to a more sophisticated design yourself something which gives customer's confidence that you are a great designer.

What keywords are you targeting and where are you ranking for them?

Are you doing any locally targeted PPC? Are you losing business emphasising the cheapest as most of us have been brought up with "you pay for quality" maybe you should push a different tag and as I said upgrade the look of your site to reflect the professional web design aspect.

I'm not really sure what you're after but if you can give me more details of what is happening and what you are wanting to happen I'm sure we can all give you some great strategies to achieve it.

3. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

See if you are really good at your skills and are capable enough to produce some great designs then freelancer websites are just the place for you. there are loads of work for skilled and hardworking professionals for you.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I wouldn't underestimate the value of getting a couple of clients per month, that really is great. Ask all your clients if they need any further work done and if they know of anyone else that could benefit from your services. You could even start a referral programme and reward them in some way for the referrals they give to you.

I agree very strongly with that. To be honest I would be reluctant to give design work, to a web design service that has a site like yours. It really doesn't look professional or inspire confidence in your ability to produce quality work. If you are looking for suggestions on how to improve your site you could request a review in our Website & Graphic Reviews section.

When I look at a designer's site the first section I visit is their portfolio section. If I'm impressed by the quality of work they have done I will investigate further. If their work doesn't impress me, I will look for a designer elsewhere. You might want to add some content and testimonials to your portfolio page.

Good luck with it and please post back with your thoughts and any additional questions you might have.

5. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Traffic is.. sorta.
    Keywords: Chat Bam, Web Design, $10 Web Design, Social Media Management
    Well my thought process is, Dollar Stores make a lot of money. They always say they have dollar everythings, and it is quality stuff. I am trying to get it to work for me.

6. proximity5

proximity5
    uix_expand uix_collapse

how can i start my new small business?????????

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

hcted you are welcome to advertise your services in our Free Advertising Forums.

proximity5 the best way to get a good response to that would be to start a new thread with your question and give some information on the type of business you would like to start and your own background.

8. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Alright well I have been receiving a couple of new visitors thanks to BAF :) I have pretty good streams of traffic now.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Glad to hear that you are getting some help from Business Advice Forum. Thanks for letting us know and please do post any further questions you have.

10. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok, my new design is up, hosting is now part of our deal and we have added a few other things to make the site. The site has had no effect on the # of clients I get. Right now, the only client I am working with is one who contacted me via Twitter.

So do I play the waiting game for my web site to build up popularity and time, or how do I promote it?

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Build links to it, with your keywords as the anchor text. This thread will give you some good tips on link building - Can someone share some link building tips?.

12. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for that link! I bookmarked it to print out at a later date.