My business idea is working, and want to move away from eBay.

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by resellcellular, Jun 3, 2011.

1. resellcellular

resellcellular
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

I have been having some major stress trying to figure out where to go next. Ebay and paypal can ruin my mood for weeks at a time with their lack of caring for people making them money. I am not even going to get into a rant, but this is a well known problem.

I have been getting phones at good enough prices and making a good profit on ebay, which sounds insane after they take about 20% of your total revenue.

I now think its time to expand into an ecommerce website. I have already signed up with 3dcart and hopefully they can help guide me with the whole SEO thing.

I mainly have around 20-30 phones on me at a time, I am selling around 10-15 a week. Average sale is $250.

Big questions I have:
    1) How hard is it for people to reach my site, especially in such a huge market? If I am already selling phones on ebay good, than I would only think I could sell for more after I built a reputation, but currently price like I were on ebay, maybe even a little cheaper.

2) Should I hire a writer? As you can probably tell me writing and grammar is not that great. Im getting to that...

3) For the descriptions of the phones themselves, I would assume I would just cut and paste tid bits I find on the internet, as it would all be uniform. Would that be plagiarism?

4) What kind of time would now be needed to be put into this site? eBay is very easy no doubt. Its a simple upload, and then you ship.

5) Now the biggest factor... I'm 18 years old, and I have no even started college. This is just something I randomly thought of doing one day, and I made an add, and got tons of calls. I am now making about $800-$1000 a week. I want to pursue an education, but at the same time I want to build an empire. I feel if I keep putting up with ebay I can juggle school and business. I just am not sure what kind of time would have to be involved in operating a website, or if anyone would even want to buy from a store so small.

Really desperate for some advice. I am in a hard situation. No one is really supporting me anymore, infact people are starting to despise me, because of what is probably jealousy. Even my father who always told me I need to work for myself (thats how he is), is now telling me I need to slow down, and my goals are unrealistic, because if ebays working more or less "just deal with it". But I cant be treated like a peon.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum resellcellular and hearty congratulations on the excellent success you have achieved to date. You have good reason to be very proud of the business you have created.

Why are you so unhappy with eBay, as you know eBay provides you with a huge market and their service has yielded you with positive results to date? Perhaps there is a simpler way to deal with whatever it is about their service that you are not happy with.

1. As you say yourself, a new store will take some time to establish trust and reputation with potential customers. You may be able to fast track this by maintaining your eBay store for some time after you launch your own site. By linking your website to your eBay profile, visitors to your site will be able to see that you have a good reputation on eBay and this will give them confidence to buy from you. Also including your website address on your eBay listings (obviously you need to be careful that you don't breach their terms here) will help build awareness of your store.

2. I'm not sure that you need to go to the expense of hiring a writer, you have obviously written your eBay sales listings to a high enough standard to generate sales, so you can most probably write sales content to a higher standard than you give yourself credit for. Also once you write your content for your site, you can post it here and we will give you an opinion on it.

3. If you are copying content from other phone sites you need to be careful that the site allows you to do that, otherwise you could be in breach of their copyright. Different sites will have different terms, some will allow it and some will strictly forbid it. However, there is nothing to stop you from looking at how a few different sites / sellers describe a particular phone and using that to shape and improve how you describe it.

4. If your site is well set up it should not take too much time to maintain it. Most of your time will be spent on customer service and marketing.

5. There's nothing to stop you from doing this, your current success in business clearly shows that you are more than capable of running an online store. If you set up your own site in parallel with your eBay business you should be fine and in the unlikely event that it doesn't work out you can fall back on your eBay business. My advice would be to put your heart into it and go for it.

Good luck with everything, please post back with your thoughts and to keep us updated on your progress.

3. resellcellular

resellcellular
    uix_expand uix_collapse

to start, paypal and ebay are the same company. Anyways I was purchasing iphones from an "independent dealer" that I met from the internet. I was on the edge about it, but he said he accecpted paypal, so had to be legit. I called paypal told them what was going on, and they said I was 100% protected if I did it the way he explained it to me, and I did.

So I "purchased" 4 phones total in a set of 2, paid 750, 750. Next morning he more or less said he needed cash bad, and to send him $400 and he'll throw in 2 more (obviously a steal.) So of course he doesnt ship anything and ignores me, I file a claim. I call paypal they try reaching him and no answer. Later a paypal supervisor calls me insulting me basically (he knew my age) saying how stupid could I be, and how could I not see this was a scam? In my defense I just said well yeah I owe him a couple hundred more bucks to make it sound reasonable. Thats all he had to hear, he shut the case down because it was a "partial payment" even though I had emails proving otherwise.

Case 2: If you meed certain performance criterias on ebay you are granted Top Rated Seller (TSR) and get 20% off your feels. Which would be about $200 for me. I am now supposed to be getting this credit, and the SYSTEM even says I am supposed to. However eBay CS has a new story each time why I'm not going to get it. I said fine, give me the credit, or Im leaving, and they don't care. Their customer service just wants you off the phone, and doesn't matter if they lie to you or not. I had a rep said I was right, and she was granting me the 20% as we speak, of course didn't get it.

Case 3: The feedback system sucks. One negative feedback and it can ruin your seller status. People complain about the stupidest stuff, and I keep having to partial refund people because they do not know how to read descriptions. Its one sided, I cant leave negative feedback for an idiotic buyer.

I have a problem on ebay, who do I answer to? THE PEONS! When my account gets shut down for no reason, who controls my destiny THE PEONS! Pretty sure tech support only requires a highschool education. I have no room to talk, but I think I have a little bit more going for me than the avg person with a HS diploma. My business is in the hands of a bunch of monkeys.

I like the idea of using ebay to advertise. Basically I will just price my phone what I normally would, and jack the price up 20$. In my description ill say how if you visit me site you will get a better discount, and will say just GOOGLE my domain name (wwwDOTresellcellularDOTcom) obviously not up and running yet, but it will be!

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for posting back resellcellular, you are obviously having a hard time with PayPal and eBay. Did you ask to speak to a supervisor at either of their call centres?

5. resellcellular

resellcellular
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes at paypal, the supervisor is the reason I lost the money. If it would of just rode out it would of never happend. When I request new supervisor I never get call back.

At ebay same situation, in one case the rep said he refused to give me a supervisor, the other said he would submit a ticket. I even said "Look if your going to lie to me and say your going to submit a ticket and not really do it, just let me know now so Im not waiting for a phone call." He said "Oh of course I'd submit a ticket, why would I not?"

Its been 4 days still no call from ebay supervisor!

I really am nervous with this site. I just dont think I have enough products to do a whole website on my own. If Im spending 1000$ in marketing I might as well just put up with ebay

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

eBay and PayPal do work great for a huge number of customers, perhaps you can find a way to accept that they are not perfect but that they do work and they can work for your business. Put the losses you have experienced down to experience and try to move forward by viewing their services more positively.

You could also set your site up, without spending any money promoting it. Just link it from your eBay store and tell people about it whenever you can. If you add good content to it and do some basic SEO work it will build up slowly, without the need of a large upfront investment in marketing.

Other options you could consider are Google Checkout and Yahoo Store.

7. resellcellular

resellcellular
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal. And I have realized you are right. eBay is making me good money, and as I've been going through 3d cart there is A LOT of things I have to do.

I probably cannot even get a credit card processor because I have no credit. I finally signed up for a credit card to start building. Will be maxing it out every month and paying it instantly, as the limit is only $300 :p. Thats about 5 trips to the post office, or less if im sending more international :p.

I need to think long term, and the fact that I am leaving to go to a college (arizona state) that PROMOTES you to be an entrepreneur will probably give me the right guidance. Thats Aug 18th so right around the corner. For now I think I will continue on eBay for the next 2 months, and once I get into school really launch it from there. Assuming they will help me get it moving as a Freshman, as they normally push you to do it when you graduate, but why stop for 4 years?

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good for you resellcellular, that all sounds very positive. 2checkout.com is someone you might want to take a look at for accepting credit card payments.

9. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's hard for young people to do business if there is going to be age discrimination. I think we have the same chance of success as any older person would!