My Business Idea - Help and feedback if possible

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by Curtis Is GOD, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Curtis Is GOD

Curtis Is GOD
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Community,

I have come here today to ask for feedback and some general advice into my new business idea. I already have the basics worked out (Business plan, marketing, contacts, business lawyer (my friend's dad is one he's agreed to help) I am still currently at school but music has been my dream business along with gaming. If this doesn't work I will always have something to fall back on but all I need from you today is what do you think about my idea ? If you could please follow the link as shown read up on my business and please leave some helpful tips or feedback (criticism or positive) I would like to hear all views of interest and if it is not to much to ask could you possible like the idea so it can get more noticed within facebook it would be grateful

http://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Productions/141850325892412

Thank you,

Curtis Cole.

#1 Curtis Is GOD, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2012
  2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

[Thread moved to the appropriate section]

Your idea seems to be good. I read in your Facebook page that you are building a site. How was it?
    Did you ever promote this page on music related sites and forums for you to increase your reach?

I have liked your page. Hopefully, I could help in spreading it.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Curtis, can you please tell us a little more about the business and how it will operate?

4. rjd1265

rjd1265
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good Luck...this is a very tough niche to crack but if you do, you will make tons of money!

5. glitchkids

glitchkids
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a really cool idea. I also agree that it may be a tough niche to crack, but it definitely sounds like you are on the right track. My only advice is to somehow condense all of your descriptions so that they are straight and to the point. Not too long. This way you won't loose potential clients just because they got tired of reading the fine print. Good luck!

6. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The music industry is a lot about your connections. If you know the right people, you will be successful. If your
    network is weak, you're looking at a hard road ahead. It's definitely a fun business to be in but can be incredibly
    expensive if you don't take things seriously and treat it like a real business. Many people get lost in the 'music'
    and 'art' aspects of professional production and end up going out of business due to their lack of business
    knowledge. A word of advice: don't target the big acts, look for artists with potential and grow with them. Every
    superstar starts somewhere, you just have to have the ability to pick them out from a crowd of thousands of other
    artists. The most important thing to look for is drive. If an artist doesn't have the drive of a hustler then you should
    think twice before spending valuable recording time on them.

7. Curtis Is GOD

Curtis Is GOD
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello again,

Sorry for the lateness in my reply. In answer to your question dan the website is currently on hold at the minute but is still getting made as we speak. I get weekly previews of the website and I must say its looking top notch at the moment. I am still currently at school but I pay for the monthly instalment due to me holding down a part time job and once I pay my next final instalment the website will be finished and be ready to set up live. As stated above because I am still at school til june-july advertising has been slow due to school work, exams etc etc. The free time that I have however is me producing and finalising my back tracking tracks off so people can get a full in-sight into how I work as a beat maker and so on which is a form of advertisement in such a way. Now that I am taking time off school advertising my company is a full priority at the minute which I will be spending every waking day and all the spare time I have to get my company noticed. As for artists I do have 3 people very interested in what I have to offer in which I have been staying in contact with them recently helping them out as much as I can within my spare time so they don't 'get bored' and lose interest as you may say by doing this it gives them a first hand on experience into what my company will do for a living so I guess you can say its some sort of a 'teaser' to make them wanting more which at this moment in time I am only helping them out as a friend and not as a business like minded person while also be aware of not to go to far into the process.

In relation to your question fergal what you see is what you get. Meaning if you think about what would happen if we were just a production agency and never done the extra additions would we succeed in this industry ? I don't think we would have. Caragan music is the uk's leading agency for singer songwriters and producers so if my company done exactly what they did we wouldn't have got very far. I had to think out the box through many sleepless nights and research to try and find a way of competing against such companies as caragan music I found my unique 'selling point' so to speak. What if we done exactly what cargan music does but turn it around into our favour ? Instead of artists sending in there demo's with payment being made to maybe be rejected a few days later or maybe get into talks with record labels which of all is what cargan music does but we take that same factor and spice it up we give our artist/clients more room to breath. We work closely with every single person/group on our list weather they get signed or not. Even if they do not get what they hoped for not to worry we will still help them those people out night and day free of charge where as cargan music's overview is 'send us your demo, we post it away, it gets listened to see if its deemed necessary to send to our contacts if not the person gets a friendly rejecting letter explaining reasons why and how to improve' so as you see we take that same concept but add more additions to it so we can compete with companies like that even if our customers are rejected it doesn't matter we are still there to lend a helping hand through the tuff times.

This isn't in order but it will give you some information on how we operate from the rest of the music companies.

1 - We give our artist's exposure in every way possible either by online networking, radio stations, bookings for clubs, festivals, one night gigs, parties etc etc
    2 - Help with there demo 24/7 so it is top notch quality sound
    3 - Helping them with paperwork, contracts, handing out advice, 1 on 1 support, private lessons so we can teach them everything we know and how we produce/create backing tracks
    4 - If our contacts are un-signed after the process of getting there demo listened too we improve on this work with them to create a basic but improved album we can then advertise and enquire into putting it on such online retailer's as cd baby, amazon, hmv, i-tunes etc and much more
    5 - Once we have everything finalised and ready to go we then once again send there demo off to the professional's to get heard only difference being is which we put our time and effort into helping with this demo.

The list is endless of advertisement money making exposure opportunities for the person and for the company so to try and compete with the big companies i've had to look over what the artist/client should and should not pay for on several occasions to make sure this business will work. I have upgraded my basic home recording studio and we also have a brand new professional recording studio ready to rent out and use if the person ever wishes to use its equipment. This is just a very basic idea of how we operate as I've said there are many ways to make a business like this succeed but also a lot of ways for a business to go bankrupt if its not carefully thought about in the correct way. With the market being like it is today and with my extra features added I do think I could have a fighting chance I may still need to make some more tweaks here and there before the website is officially launched but I'm sure if there's any flaws or better ways of doing things you will no doubt give me your honest opinion.

I hope to hear back from you all soon and I very much appreciate the comments and feedback you have gave me.

Thank you once again,

Curtis Cole.

8. Curtis Is GOD

Curtis Is GOD
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been dreaming off this since I was a little boy and I've done thousand and thousand of hours on research only just by the failings and success of music businesses the rewards are endless but always the downside is a huge fall down. The first 3 artist I picked up I took a quite a long time in going through there online work via unsigned.com and also newly made tracks to see if there was some 'starlight' potential in there. I know when it comes to someone 'having something' don't get me wrong I have never read a music book in my life to learn how to create beats I done it all by ear it may have took me a longer time but at the end of the day you thought yourself that and not just 'some' book so when it comes to dj's, singers, rappers, song writers I can find something within them that we could build on and bring out there true 'inner' beast. As for connections at the minute I do have some but they took me quite a long to get considering school etc but at the end of the day I have somewhere to start no matter how long or how many sleepless night I might have I have the passion to drive this forward no matter what anyone says or who stands in my way.

9. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Where can I hear some of your music?

10. Curtis Is GOD

Curtis Is GOD
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can either send you some samples through email or I could upload them onto soundcloud or some form of audio website your pick my friend.

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you ever got any customer, or we might call him, aspiring music artist, that have tried these?

12. Curtis Is GOD

Curtis Is GOD
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As a whole not at the minute. I haven't been able to get that far and was hoping to fully launch it all when the website goes lives. However saying that I have outlined this to the current artists that I do have and this is where it will be tried and tested and improved on if needs be. Some artist who come to us have bound to try and get there music into online retailers and possibly failed and tried other things that I may have mentioned but with the backing of our company and resources we can go that one step further into helping with there needs.

13. Curtis Is GOD

Curtis Is GOD
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As requested i have uploaded some of my old tracks onto soundcloud. I am currently working on new one's at the minute and the recordings might fade in and fade out as such due to me not being at home at the minute and done it over at my frends house, however you get the basic's of my back tracking from here.

http://soundcloud.com/southproductions

14. Marketest

Marketest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I think this is a great idea and it really helps that you are passionate about it. However this market seem reasonably saturated, so i think it's important you identify exactly who your target market is and focus on your Unique Selling Point, when trying to penetrate it.

Our company Marketest has recently launched a business start-up competition, which I would recommend you enter. If you win you will receive valuable tailored market research for south productions, which would help you enormously. There is a link in my signature section below, but i will also put a link on your facebook wall

Best of luck to you or anyone else who does decide to take part