My 1st Business!

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by falconator, Jul 3, 2012.

1. falconator

falconator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have started my first business and I'm starting to market it. The business is a website design company so my questions are for business owners. I'm trying to get in the mind of my clients.

1. What would you expect to pay for a website, say 3 pages, 5 pages and 8 pages? I have done lots competition shopping so I believe I offer the cheapest website design. I even set up a meeting with a Yellow Book representative as a business owner of a fake company just to get pricing for there website design.

2. Seeing as how I'm just starting and have limited funds my main way of marketing is by mail. I wrote a one page letter explaining why a website is beneficial to just about any company and mail them to potential clients. If one of my letters reached you would you even read it or just throw it away?

3. If you are a business owner and don't have a website what is the reason?

That is about it for now. Any other advice is also welcome.

Thanks for letting me kick around in your head,
    falcon

2. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As far as pricing, if your goal is to beat the competition and you think you're already doing it but worry you aren't, you could always offer to price match if they find someone lower. That way they are guaranteed you will offer the best price. However, you should also be aware that there are times when lower price doesn't mean more clients because sometimes people perceive cheaper as lower quality even if it isn't. So do test that out.

I think that market is very saturated. People receive letters all the time about web design. So you really need to stand out and put yourself in the mind of someone who has received 100 of these letters over the years.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best I can think of is for you to set up your own website first. The design will more likely appear to be your own web design portfolio. Then set up pages where you showcases some of your works and designs. Then start marketing your pages to people. You may actually start at social media and networking sites for you to grab attention from people, from forum sites and other high-traffic websites where you can promote your service.

4. falconator

falconator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a website and even built three example sites to show different sites at different price points, I just didn't want to get in trouble for link dropping. I also have already set up a price match guarantee. I do think I need to find a way to stand out in my marketing though.

5. Ocean Archer

Ocean Archer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I run an ecommerce business, and I'm responsible for outsourcing all our web development. My goal is not to look for the cheapest. I definitely have a budget, but I want to find the company that has the vision for what we need. If you don't have a nice looking and functioning site, I won't bother contacting you for service. If your site looks great, and you have a decent portfolio, I'll call you up as long as your pricing is not outrageous.

some of our sites:
    Costume Alibi
    Costumelicious
    Baby Town dot com

6. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you had tried creating ads / banners or brochures about your service and trying to spread the word?

7. falconator

falconator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I see your point but I started my company because I believe the price of websites are outrageous. I pride myself in being able to create good looking websites with cool features for a fraction of the price. I price my service so anyone even someone with a small budget can afford it. Don't get me wrong though I believe that all things being equal when it comes down to price I will take the client because of my prices.

I've done a little marketing other than the one mentioned in the first post but not much. I am exploring other options I'm just not sure which will be most cost efficient.

8. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. What would you expect to pay for a website, say 3 pages, 5 pages and 8 pages? I have done lots competition shopping so I believe I offer the cheapest website design. I even set up a meeting with a Yellow Book representative as a business owner of a fake company just to get pricing for there website design.
    - Never charge too low, it will de-motivate yourself, when you are seeing people making much better with same work load, you will lose the patient to provide quality design and service to your customer. It is fine to charge abit lower only on the beginning stage but always ensure you are providing top quality and service

2. Seeing as how I'm just starting and have limited funds my main way of marketing is by mail. I wrote a one page letter explaining why a website is beneficial to just about any company and mail them to potential clients. If one of my letters reached you would you even read it or just throw it away?
    - it really depends how targeted your email list. By the way, it will be better if you make a website about your company and provide some sample for your potential customer as a reference, then work out on SEO or use affiliate program to get project

3. If you are a business owner and don't have a website what is the reason?
    - Basically more and more company is going to have their own website, the reason some of the company dont have the website because the boss dont know the benefit of website or most of their customer never online

9. falconator

falconator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very good insight. But when I said I do market by mail I mean the old fashion kind of mail, a letter in an envelope.

That is great idea, it has crossed my mind. I think I will go out tomorrow and try this.

10. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How is the physical direct mail marketing working for you? Does it maybe even work better since more people are turning to online and not doing it? Or is it still full of competition in the mailbox?

11. falconator

falconator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have only sent out about 45 letters so far with no results. I picked direct mail for a couple reasons. One- I felt like potential clients would be more likely to listen to the message if it wasn't being shoved down their throats by what they feel is a salesman. Second- I felt that it would be the most cost efficient way to reach only business owners. I'm in the process of trial and error on the letter itself.

12. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In pricing you must go with your competitor and match their prices or maybe get it a little lower so that you can enter in the competition.

13. falconator

falconator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That was my thought.

14. jack1819

jack1819
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First of all, I was starting with a small shop of electronics instruments.

15. falconator

falconator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry, I don't understand.

16. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes definitely do split tests with different letters. You can even get different 800 numbers to track which one they respond to.

17. ilovedesign

ilovedesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Having a website is still a choice. But it's a choice that if you won't take would make you achieve less of what's laid for you.