My 10K Run Goal

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My goal is to jog a 10K in my home town, in the beginning of May. The event is being run in aid of a local homeless charity and I'm looking forward to it.

I've got a family wedding coming up that will take up a weekend just before the run. Over eating and drinking is not exactly the best preparation just before a run like this, but I'll do my best. Fingers crossed.

2. wussa

wussa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sounds good. I am also in the process of increasing my stamina. Maybe we should co-goal :)
    I have reduced my eating routine to once a day and will start jogging tomorrow.

10K is a long distance Fergal so take it easy. If you can't jog then walk. Try to run if you notice a camera is pointed at your way though. We don't want the next day headlines to be
    "Near to faint man in marathon charity run" now do we :p

choose which one do you wanna be
    http://johnnyt918.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/img.jpg
    http://www.runnerstribe.com/images/huffer5.jpg

[​IMG]

3. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I was younger the 10K used to be the event I did at the local athletics club. A good 1-2K run each day for the next 7 days and then increase it to 3-4K for 10 days. Then a week of 5-7K runs should get your stamina in place and should give you enough chance to get the breathing right. If you get your pace right then you should survive it :p

4. wussa

wussa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sounds easy :p I am sure its tons harder when I am doing it. :D Looking forward to increase my stamina as I have a few days holiday as my semester break:|:D

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the support and encouragement. Sean, I've been following a training plan very similar to this one and so far it has been working well for me. I did a 4.5 mile run yesterday, it was very tough, a real slog to be honest, but I got through it and felt great afterwards.

Wussa, it's important not to overeat (or underneath) and to improve the quality of food we eat. But, that doesn't sound too healthy, most experts seem to concur that little and often is the way to go. (Please note that I'm not a dietician and don't claim to have any expertise in this area).

6. michman

michman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

10k is a pretty long distance... I usually do some 3k to stay in shape but I wouldn't do 10, it's too much.

@stuff about eating
    you do need to eat quite a lot when doing a lot of running/work outs. When training, your body consumes a lot more of everything, especially fat. So eating stuff with good cholesterol is important, otherwise your training wont be as effective. A healthy diet in general makes the training some 50% more effective than if you'd have an unhealthy one.

7. wussa

wussa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well my eating consumption just once is enough for a day :)

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks michman, I do try to eat healthy. That's actually something I like about training for an event, once I'm in training I eat much better. I've a sweet tooth, but when I'm training my body feels the need to eat healthy foods and it is much easier to resist the junk food.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Job done, I ran in the Dundalk 10K yesterday. The event went really well and was a credit to everyone who helped organise it. Official times aren't posted yet but by my own watch I finished in around 51 - 52 minutes. Legs feeling sore and tired today, but well worth the effort, I really feel good after it.

Next challenge will be a half marathon.

10. morsolutions

morsolutions
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well done Fergal and a very good time for your first run - or so I believe given I've never tried! :)

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks morsolutions, the legs are still a little tired, but I look forward to doing it again next year. Might see you there :)

12. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Practice make perfect.
    As long as you keep practice for the coming days, i believed that you will able to complete the 10k journey
    All the best!!!

13. Jillybobilly

Jillybobilly
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice work! I just did a 10k run for the first time yesterday. I didn't train (I usually do 5k) so my knees are killing me. Next time I think I'll prepare!

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well done Jillybobilly, I know how that feels. Hope you enjoyed it.

Sigma, you may have missed my post above, but I've already completed the run, thanks for your good wishes.

15. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Congrats on the Dundalk 10K, Fergal. I'm proud of you. Woo hoo! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Nice going for you too, Jillybobilly. :)

You guys are making me feel like such a slob! I'll have you know I did run once today. I ran to the fridge because I knew the last slice of key lime pie was in it and heard my son opening the fridge door. :surprise:

See, all you need is the right motivation! :laugh:

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Kay, I know it was only a 10K but I was delighted to have finished it. I started off really slowly and built up the distance I could run over a number of months. On my first week of training I walked for half an hour and jogged for 1 minute, on three days. I increased the time I jogged by 1 min every week until I was jogging for ten minutes. It was ten weeks before I could comfortably jog for ten minutes. So it took me some time before I was fit for a 10K.

My official time for completing the 10K was 50:55.