My #1 tip for stress reduction..... Get a Dog... What's yours?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by MoneyTrack, Dec 8, 2012.

1. MoneyTrack

MoneyTrack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As I've gotten older my life has gotten busier and busier. As I take on more and more with both my job and my blog, it has become harder and harder to find time for myself. My time to "get away" is when I take my dog for a walk. I do it every morning and again in the evening. I put my headphones on and just escape from my stress. I was 26 when I got my first dog (my wife is a dog lover, and now I am too). She's a black lab named Karma and I don't know what I would do now without a dog!

Anybody else find pets as good stress relievers?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I owned a dog when I was a child and teenager but haven't had one since. The people I know who have dogs absolutely love them and they are almost like a member of the family to them.

I read a newspaper article before that said people who own dogs are generally happier than those who don't and one of the reasons for this is that when you come home to your house, your dog always gets excited and shows that he is very happy to see you. I'd like to get a dog again in the future but it doesn't suit my circumstances just at the moment.

3. MoneyTrack

MoneyTrack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, a lot of it depends on where you live as well as financial circumstances. I could see exactly where that article is coming from. I've heard the same thing!

4. Sprinkles

Sprinkles
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Five Good Reasons Why Pets Reduce stress

1) Pets give you every reason to nurture them.
    2) They are friendly and confidante.
    3) Maintaining them is easy
    4) They love unconditionally.
    5) They are healthy to have around.

Taking your dog out for a walk so he can have his bathroom break makes you feel responsible and useful to another living creature. Your tail wagging dog or your purring cat will give you the non-stressed feeling of something good.

In most cases, stress means there is no one to talk to. In this scenario your pet becomes the best option. Looking at those brooding sad eyes and big ears listening to your every word, they feel your sadness or your joy. They never criticize or argue their point of view. Your favorite fluffy Persian cat will never risk her tail to share your secrets with anyone. Your four legged friend will always meet and greet you as if you were a celebrity on the red carpet. Why feel stressed when your pet makes you feel this great?

:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. kylesmith025

kylesmith025
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dog does really help. I play with Dach (dachshund) everytime I go home. :)

6. Sprinkles

Sprinkles
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Even when you’ve had a hard day and you’ve accidentally yelled, chances are good that your pet is still going to come up to you later and put their head in your lap or rub up against you. This unwavering support is just what you need when the rest of the world feels too stressful. Take some time to appreciate your pet and show them how much you love them too. By giving treats or just some attention, your pet will return the favor time and time again.

A pet can help you break free of even the darkest funk. By taking the time to be with your pet, you can make yourself healthier and you will feel more relaxed as a result.

7. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Before I got a lot of pet dogs and cats but it gets harder and harder to take care of them especially in my schedule. Now I just got my self a pet snake. It's much easier to take care of. She's a file snake.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What's it like keeping a snake as a pet cesspadilla, do they interact with you at all?