Multitasking: Getting the most out of your day

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Nazreen, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We all know that if we own a business, we must always try to improve our knowledge on it. We must be knowledgeable in every aspect of our business in order to get the most of it. Yes, most of us knows this but knowing and doing are two different things. If you're the same as the rest of us, sometimes we just don't have time to read a book on that latest marketing and customer service techniques and attend productivity seminars and talks.

So how do we do this? This is where multitasking comes in. Multitasking is doing two or more tasks at the same time. We can read books while on the train or bus but it's not advisable to do so. Reading in a moving vehicle will damage our eyesight. When driving your car, please don't even try reading a book while your on the road unless you have a death wish.

In today's modern world, most books already come in mp3, cds, and audio-books. So while you're driving, travelling in a bus or train, or working out in the gym, you can listen to these educational materials and improve yourself.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There are some good points there. But to be honest I've always been a little sceptical of multi-tasking. Maybe that's because I'm a man and women are apparently much better at it than men.

My personal opinion is that it is better to concentrate on one task at a time and to complete it a in a timely and efficient manner. I find that trying to do two things at once can make me lose focus and become less efficient at getting the job done.

Listening to an MP3 book on a train is fine and helpful, but when I'm at work I like to try and focus on only one thing at a time.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think that women are better at multitasking than men. Even before the computer, there was already one man who became the best at what he do because of multitasking. I'll give you a clue, he's dead and very good in the martial arts. Yup, it's Bruce Lee. I think that he might have invented multitasking. He always thought that other martial artists are training more than he does so while watching tv or reading a book, he's also lifting weights or exercising his legs, etc.

Maybe this is a case to case basis where other people can do it better than others. For me, as long as the two tasks aren't the same then I can do them at the same time. Like for example jogging (physical) and listening to audio books (mental).

4. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a problem with the word multitasking....

Is it really multitasking to listen to a mp3 while sitting in a bus?

I feel Fergal is right: "I find that trying to do two things at once can make me lose focus and become less efficient at getting the job done."

Multitasking is doing two (or more) things that intensively use Your brain. And I agree, this kind of multitasking is highly inefficient.
    Google for GTD (Getting Things Done), wikipedia has a really good article on this technique.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hendrik, I presume you are referring to this getting things done article. There are some very useful points in there and I will try to implement the point below with immediate effect.

6. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Nazreen's multitasking techniques specifically listening to motivational audiobooks while driving. Instead of the time being wasted in traffic, you make use of it by listening to these auidobooks.

This is very effective for me. I always listen to John Maxwell's audiobooks. I have learned a lot and I can say that I am a more improved person today. I am not stopping. I am aiming for more.