Multitasking ain't very multi!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you're congratulating yourself on doing half a dozen things at a time, don't be so hasty. A new study showed that only two tasks at a time can be productive. Anything more, and you're wasting all that brainpower by hampering your productivity, not increasing it.

Article

Do you do more than two things at once? I know I can have at least three things on my desk or my computer at any given time. In light of this, I'm going to seriously rethink that.

2. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree. For a while now I've thought multi tasking is a bot multi-delusional. When I am "doing" multiple things how many am I actually doing at the same time o doing well?

For best results do one thing at a time and do it well, get it finished and move on. You can do one thing alone much faster than many.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

They say that women are much better at multi-tasking than men and I know that multi-tasking is not for me. I keep a list and work my way through the list, focusing on one task at a time. It's the only way that I can work productively. If I try to do two or more things at once, I lose focused, become frustrated and get nothing done.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, I have a bad experience on multi-tasking. There are times that I always makes mistakes and often doing something not intended for that work. Instead of doing something good, it can make things worse.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Even with just three I can get lost in amongst them some days. I read somewhere a few months ago that it takes a certain amount of time for your brain to switch gears between tasks and be fully "into" what you're doing.

I do think women are better at it solely because they have to be. The majority have the bulk of responsibility for organizing kids and homes too, as well as work. That's not a sexist statement. I know many men help out. My own lovely husband is a great cook and will often pick up shopping too. But the majority of household stuff is mine. It's hard to focus sometimes and put aside everything in your brain that comes under your wife/mother/daughter role to give your undivided attention to your work one or vice versa.

And with perfect timing, my son just came into my office to say he can't find his black jeans LOL.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A woman's work is never done. However, times are changing, for the better. This change is good for both men and women. Men are spending more time with their kids and women can spend more time on their personal interests.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Multi-tasking, dovetailing for some people, greatly works out when cooking.
    That's what I learn when I was in high school. :D

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They really are. My mum's said to me before that she wishes my dad had helped her around the house the way modern husbands do. I saw my dad wash the dishes once a year and that was on Christmas Day. My mum always refused to acknowledge it that much on principle. She said she did it every other night of the year and never expected to get a round of applause from him for that. :laugh:

You need to teach me that then, GekiDan. :D Cooking is my downfall and multitasking while cooking is my nightmare. When I have lots of pots going at once, it never turns out great. I'm much better with a slow cooker where I can set it and forget it. Lucky for hubby and I one of us cooks well!