Multiple Income Streams

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by jnjsarauer, Nov 19, 2007.

1. jnjsarauer

jnjsarauer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have owned a real estate business in the past and currently operate a writing business. In both businesses, it has proven advantageous to have multiple income streams so that if one client/income stream dries up, I have other sources of revenue. Is your business structured around one major client or have you set it up for multiple streams of income?

2. MrsWrite

MrsWrite
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do a number of writing projects. I need to diversify more. I plan to get into real estate as well. Writing and real estate are two of my interests. What a coincidence!

3. Gsv13

Gsv13
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well being a webmaster is diverse in itself ....... you always have multiple websites for income source still you can put your hand in seo , web consultancy etc

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I suppose that there is always a bit of a conflict between being focused and being diversified. Lots of business gurus talk about building success through a philosophy of "stick to the knitting", in other words concentrating on your core business.

However, the practical realities of many small business require them to have multiple income streams. This often occurs because the business is small and doesn't have enough income from any one single source, to survive. Also, as has already been discussed above the business needs to protect itself from the possibility of an income stream drying up.

Saying all that it is important at start up stage not to spread yourself too thinly. This can result in you being inferior to your competitors in every area where you compete for business. The trick is probably to be focused enough to be great at what you do and broad enough to survive. Don't let distractions of short term income opportunities detract from the delivery of your core business in your core marketplace.

5. AWorker

AWorker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed on this one Fergal.Still,i would say before engaging on any extra-income (small) bussines it is preferably to judge its randament.Even if it gives you some more income,the time you loose in it might be very valuable if used on your main activity or other opportunities.

6. untikoplus

untikoplus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't have a business, but I do have many income streams so I'm not depending of anything special if I have trouble with that: articles, translations, data entry, several webmaster tasks, web design, programming, etc. So far, everything is going well.

7. yen

yen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Definitely no matter what business we are in, there must always be a backup with multiple streams both on supply and client side. That way we don't have to rely on one particular source for our business propogation.

8. mark-20

mark-20
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i do anything a can to make a pound. a dont mean this in a scunging way i mean i invest in alot i own partnerships in a few companys so i am happy to make money not relly relieing on it but sitting on my ass. when i was working on websites i done alittle bit of everything and i was barely makeing enough to live on so i was spreading it out but a shouldve spread it out further in hiensight but what can you do. good luck to you man the way a see it is multiple income is a good income lol

9. Fraz!

Fraz!
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Everybody likes Multiple income streams :)
    But like AWorker said 'the time you loose in it might be very valuable if used on your main activity or other opportunities.'

Creating your leverage is very important.
    Leverage is finding ways to make more money with less effort
    and less time.

10. wkhaiaun

wkhaiaun
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Having multiple income streams is advantageous in the sense that if let's say one of them encounter a problem, there's another one to backup. That way you will ensure that your source of income will never dry up. It's too risky to depend on one because we might not foreseen what is going to happen in the future. Something like trying to avoid putting all your eggs in one basket.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Slacker

Slacker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not at the moment, but I am working on it. Have a day job, and am getting into making some extra income online

12. clevejones

clevejones
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

It is good to keep trying and constantly keep yourself open to the right information which comes your way. you should stay open to new ideas and be sure to turn to the internet to make your fortune the same way as many of successful business persons did. The good news is that you can set up an online business and it will be ready to bring forth cash in short duration even you can your present job.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum clevejones and thanks for posting.

That's very true about online businesses, the entry barriers are very low and you can start doing it in your spare time, it doesn't need a full-time commitment at the outset.

14. panaache

panaache
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Though, you can earn from multiple streams at a stretch, but many-a-times, things gets a little messy !
    That's my opinion .. You can focus pretty well on thing at a time, rather than multiple !
    Rest, depends from person to person, but in my opinion, it would be better if you concentrate on one and make it THE BEST !!

15. Jace01

Jace01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A multiple income stream is quite simply trying to earn a wage or salary by using several different sources. It's the best way to earn extra income. The step by step sequence will follow to success.