Movie about Facebook, "The Social Network", coming soon

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Kay, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As if you don't see enough of Facebook online, :) it's now coming to a cinema near you in October according to VentureBeat.

Here's the newly released trailer. One thing the movie has in its favor: Fight Club director David Fincher. Columbia must be confident of a hit to bring him on board.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mWoUgftTj3Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mWoUgftTj3Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

The official movie site is at http://www.500millionfriends.com

Think you'll go watch it?

#1 Kay, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My first reaction was that a movie about FaceBook would be boring. However, having watched that trailer, I can't wait to see the movie. It's unusual to view a movie trailer that doesn't show excerpts from the movie and that focuses almost exclusively on audio, but that one definitely got my attention.

4. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it might be pretty stupid...

The trailer sounds like its supposed to be a spoof that's not funny.

I wouldn't watch it.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Honestly, you can't really tell if a movie is good until you have seen it. :p

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That was my reaction too Fergal. At first I thought it would be a yawn until I saw the heavy hitters involved. I don't think they would take this on board if they felt it would bomb.

After all, the guy's a real entrepreneur that succeeded. Love or hate Facebook, how he did it should intrigue us all really. :)

7. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I'll take a glance or two.. I read a review.. I still think it wouldn't be that good.

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Where did you read the review? I'd like to see that. :) I didn't think review copies had been made available yet.

Anyway, a review is just one person's opinion. I review books for publishers and some that I like others don't and vice versa. It's wise not to rely solely on them, especially if it's the opinion of one individual. Better to look at the general consensus.

9. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, on the contrary the trailer didn't catch my attention at all. I can careless, facebook doesn't even appeal to me much so why would I watch something like this.

If it's about Twitter I may be interested lol.

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you read one of my posts above, you'll see I posted a link about a drama that revolves around Twitter.:)

11. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, I read it. But, how about a movie soon? Something like: "The day I unfollowed her on Twitter" jaja

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That will be a long title for a movie (well, I have seen longer titles than that :p).
    Twitter Follows or maybe Love at Twiiter would be good. :D

13. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow. They made it sound so serious with epic music xP.

I might watch it, sounds pretty cool.

14. TheEntreprenette

TheEntreprenette
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Story about Facebook releases tomorrow in USA

The soon-to-be-released movie about the founding of Facebook is fiction yet many people still don’t realize this.

Most people know that Facebook “isn’t happy” about the movie, however most people don’t realize that it’s actually false. That could explain why the company isn’t exactly happy about the movie, which has received an insane amount of buzz.

Over the past few years, details have slowly leaked out. Very few people will probably ever know the true story.

The most recent set of details come in the form of a set of previously unpublished instant messages in which Mark Zuckerberg explains why he diluted Eduardo Saverin, one of the initial co-Founders, out of the company.

After Eduardo didn’t take an offer to fly out to Palo Alto, Mark decided to push him out of the company. As he said in an intstant message to fellow co-founder Dustin Moskovitz, “He was supposed to set up the company, get funding, and make a business model. He failed at all three.” It’s a legitimate point, and it’s a problem which many co-founders have dealt with. When a “partner” doesn’t participate in the creation of a business, do they deserve an equal share just because that was the intent when an agreement was signed?

The Facebook boss clearly believe that Eduardo Saeverin didn’t deserve the equity. Saeverin was not exactly happy about being diluted out of the business.

The result? A massive hollywood movie based on a story which was pitched to Ben Mezrich by Saeverin and a cool billion dollars. Not a bad deal for someone who wanted to get revenge and simultaneously cash in on one of the hottest internet startups of the past decade.

My sources tell me that the movie is more of an attack on the Facebook founder, than on Facebook.

Has anyone got plans to see the movie this weekend?

Regards

Jo

15. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We've been talking about this since the end of June here actually, TheEntreprenette. All those people that didn't know need to hang out more at BAF to keep their finger on the pulse. :D Threads merged.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's an interesting perspective on the movie TheEntreprenette. As you say, even after hearing both sides of the story, we'll probably never know the truth of what really happened. If the movie is based on untruths and is a personal attack on Mark Zuckerberg, I would expect that he will be taking a legal action for defamation against the producers. It will be interesting to see how the story plays out.

The movie hasn't been released in Ireland yet, but I look forward to seeing it when it is.

17. Cathy Duncan

Cathy Duncan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ahan! Movie about Facebook? It would really be interesting. I think it’ll be based on how facebook is losing its credibility? The facts behind the scene is that another big giant is in process to come up with a more better version of a social site, which will be more credible than facebook. I am in Canada but I didn’t hear about any such movie yet. Please let me know when this movie is up, thanks!

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's interesting, please tell us more. Do you know who the company is?

19. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook is losing credibility? How can you say that?

20. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've never thought of Facebook as being anything but credible. In fact, I think Mark Zuckerberg's recent $100M donation to schools did a lot to help enhance both his own and his company's image.