Motivation Tips

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What tips or tricks do you use to motivate yourself during times when you are not feeling very enthusiastic about your work?

Sometimes when I just can't seem to focus on something I use a countdown timer. I set it for a few minutes and work as hard as I can until it goes off, then I set it again. This works very well for me.

How do you give your drive and motivation a boost when it's needed?

2. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I usually spend a few minutes thinking about where I am and where I want to be, double check myself to make sure I am on the right track.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I'm down and not feeling very enthusiastic about work, I usually go read motivational books or read articles on the internet. Sometimes the stories and articles are so touching that I'm moved and motivated to also do the same. My husband also supports me a lot so sometimes talking to him is a very good thing.

During these times, I also try to avoid negative people because these people tend to drag you down and make you feel even worse than you already are. Unfortunately, my dad is one of the most negative people in the whole galaxy so I avoid talking to him too during these times.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the replies, good ideas there.

More suggestions would be welcome. What do you do to motivate yourself to do something that you know will help you achieve your long term goals but you just can't find the kick start to actually knuckle down and do it?

5. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

How many have had those boring days of not doing much more than uploading and installing programs to a server?

I know I am getting a good amount accomplished, but it feels like I am doing nothing worthwhile.

It gives too much time for thinking.

This is for your last post Fergal, I did not want to start this, but it has to be done, and to motivate myself I pictured the end product, which is my bank account.

I think of the possibilities of what I can do with said money, the people with disadvantages I can employ to do easy work is my big one.

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

According to Socrates, men don't change for the better until they see a need for it. I guess this is because people don't want to get out of their comfort zone. Sometimes, we can motivate people and ourselves by opening our eyes to reality, we must see the need for it.

Let's take for example Retirement Planning. If I just told you that you have to plan for your retirement, you probably won't believe me. But if I showed you that you needed this much amount of money in order to retire comfortably at the age of 55 or 60, then I think that's the only time you'll take me seriously.

7. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Only half, or less, would believe you then. Too many people throw around numbers that have little meaning to people, and when some one shows real numbers, and how they got them, people stay in their ruts.

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yup, unfortunately you're quite right. That's why when I create a portfolio for my customers, I also show them some graphs to give them a better idea of their financial situation - where they are and where they want to be financially.

9. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What is the average number of meetings you have per customer?

10. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Let's see... on the first meeting, it's usually just to show a sample portfolio on the financial planning that I provide my clients. Second meeting is to conduct a financial needs analysis on my clients. Third meeting is to explain the customer's portfolio and this is also the time that I usually close. So average number would be around 3 meetings per customer.

I normally don't do Products/Features selling and not even Needs/Benefits selling. I prefer Trust-based selling because I believe that if you gain the customers trust, they'll be your customers for life!

11. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I was thinking a minimum of three, so I was in the ball park.

Thanks.

12. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No problem. By the way, I think we're a little off topic here.

Now back to the topic of motivational tips. I think that if you really hate your job, no matter how many times you try and motivate yourself and read motivational books or listen to motivational speakers; you will never be motivated enough to work hard for it. In this kind of situation, it would be preferable to make a decision to rediscover your true passion. As the saying goes, "Find a job you love and you never work a day in your life".

13. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The very thing that should motivate everyone is the family, your loved ones. In my case, that's what motivates me and bonus is my job because I love my job as well. :)

14. dave1280

dave1280
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's really seems an interesting tips posted by all of u thanks for sharing. :) :)

15. kittelsoncarpo

kittelsoncarpo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I took a cardboard and I write " you should be working". I saw that words from a movie but I forgot the title. I placed that cardboard in the ceiling of my room. Every time I feel exhausted in working my business plan, assignments in school and I lie down on the bed, resting, then I read those lines, i go back to work and try to finish all of it so that, I wont be pressured on the deadline of submission of it.

"YOU SHOULD BE WORKING"

16. chinaoilpainting

chinaoilpainting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will go for a walk.
    If time permits, I will take a short trip to somewhere.

17. clausiaa1

clausiaa1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Also think about what it is you'd rather be doing (there probably will be something).
    It may be possible to do it - and if not now, pershaps soon.

18. makatiofficespace

makatiofficespace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I read positive blogs/ articles online related to business success. So that I will be motivated by them to think positive and inspire me to go on. I also learn a lot from reading true life experiences in business success as well from their trials.

19. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sit back first and relax for a few minutes then continue on what you're doing to motivate yourself.